TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
True, I thought about buying another house but it is really hard to give up my 1 mile commute to work. I spend more in taxes but save in frustration and gas.

Not to go back on this... but maybe the house talk gets split off?...

I got to thinking about this part though and I can understand what you are sayin about gas and frustration... to an extent.

I'm frustrated paying >$4k in taxes on a house that's worth ~100k per year.

Trevor to Round lake is ~13.6 miles city center to baxter- 7,072 miles per year... at 20 mpg = $1,237 30 mpg = $825 40 mpg = $618 at $3.50 a gallon.

The house [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] is talking about at 138k has $3,000 in taxes right now.

So probably the same combined monthly payment right now- or the Trevor house may be a bit cheaper since $83 monthly in a mortgage payment is quite significant.

But- $1,000 cheaper a year in just taxes- with a house that's worth more at the end of the day, with two two car garages, for the same, if not lesser monthly payment than what I'm paying now.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I only ride the UP of Michigan or out west. I'd look funny on a long track down here but the snow depth difference is insane once you get into the Lake Effect snow belt in the Western UP. I ride out of Mass City, Michigan where a few of us rent an apartment all year long for $800 total per year per person (I'm currently looking for the right house to buy). I believe last year we received about 340 inches of snowfall for the entire season which is more than some ski slopes get per year out west. The average snowfall is somewhere in the 260 inch range with the high being 390 inches and the low being 170 inches or so.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I only ride the UP of Michigan or out west. I'd look funny on a long track down here but the snow depth difference is insane once you get into the Lake Effect snow belt in the Western UP. I ride out of Mass City, Michigan where a few of us rent an apartment all year long for $800 total per year per person (I'm currently looking for the right house to buy). I believe last year we received about 340 inches of snowfall for the entire season which is more than some ski slopes get per year out west. The average snowfall is somewhere in the 260 inch range with the high being 390 inches and the low being 170 inches or so.

is there somewhere to leave your sled up there then?

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Not to go back on this... but maybe the house talk gets split off?...

I got to thinking about this part though and I can understand what you are sayin about gas and frustration... to an extent.

I'm frustrated paying >$4k in taxes on a house that's worth ~100k per year.

Trevor to Round lake is ~13.6 miles city center to baxter- 7,072 miles per year... at 20 mpg = $1,237 30 mpg = $825 40 mpg = $618 at $3.50 a gallon.

The house [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] is talking about at 138k has $3,000 in taxes right now.

So probably the same combined monthly payment right now- or the Trevor house may be a bit cheaper since $83 monthly in a mortgage payment is quite significant.

But- $1,000 cheaper a year in just taxes- with a house that's worth more at the end of the day, with two two car garages, for the same, if not lesser monthly payment than what I'm paying now.

Oh, I hear ya for sure and completely understand. My longest commute ever was 62 miles one way when I lived out east and I commuted daily to Waukegan before we relocated to Round Lake. Trevor might not be too bad of a commute from RL but I remember on certain snow days my commute home from Waukegan to the general area I live now (I always lived within 5 miles of where I currently am since moving to IL) was FOUR hours. I think on average it took me 35-40 minutes to make the 17 mile commute to Waukegan. I used to to have REALLY BAD road rage because of it LOL and just enjoy not being stressed by my commute. It is nice to roll out of bed at 7:30am and be sitting at my desk by 8:00am. Plus, I got too good of a deal on my current house at a 3.25% @ 30 year rate to want to give it up. If anything I'd make it into a rental because I definitely miss the peace and quite of living in bumblefuck compared to living in an association with a bunch of hobknob snobs.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
is there somewhere to leave your sled up there then?

Yes, sir. All of us leave our sleds there (there are four of us in on the apartment) and two guys have back-up/bitch sleds. My truck gets good gas mileage and is my DD so it is just as easy to throw it in the back and cruise up. Extra weight in snowy conditions is a bonus.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh, I hear ya for sure and completely understand. My longest commute ever was 62 miles one way when I lived out east and I commuted daily to Waukegan before we relocated to Round Lake. Trevor might not be too bad of a commute from RL but I remember on certain snow days my commute home from Waukegan to the general area I live now (I always lived within 5 miles of where I currently am since moving to IL) was FOUR hours. I think on average it took me 35-40 minutes to make the 17 mile commute to Waukegan. I used to to have REALLY BAD road rage because of it LOL and just enjoy not being stressed by my commute. It is nice to roll out of bed at 7:30am and be sitting at my desk by 8:00am. Plus, I got too good of a deal on my current house at a 3.25% @ 30 year rate to want to give it up. If anything I'd make it into a rental because I definitely miss the peace and quite of living in bumblefuck compared to living in an association with a bunch of hobknob snobs.

well played good sir.

Yes, sir. All of us leave our sleds there (there are four of us in on the apartment) and two guys have back-up/bitch sleds. My truck gets good gas mileage and is my DD so it is just as easy to throw it in the back and cruise up. Extra weight in snowy conditions is a bonus.

fucking brilliant.

that's so awesome. im jealous.

i have a cabin i can use around westfield area- but it doesn't snow that much there... and a friends around hayward... but there is hit or miss too. U.P. is always deep. That's a nice setup you have.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
The party at the apartment is something else LOL. It is all snowmobilers with a bunch of crazies downstairs. Drinking until 4am, going on snow cow hunts, shoot guns, firework shows, and all kinds of insanity each weekend. I love it but it is also part of the reason I want my own place. One too many mornings of being so hung over I couldn't ride haha.

Apartment complete with sled art/carnage on the wall
sled apartment.jpg

Don't fall asleep at night or your sled might end up on top of a dumpster. The fuckers made me do a beer bong for them to help me get it off. Little did I know they poured 6+ shots of whiskey in with the beer.
sled dumpster.jpg

Before things got crazy
sled party.jpg

One of the drives up (-21), I have seen as low as -37 in the past.
sled -21.jpg

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I'll post a video if I can find it of one of the best powder days I've ever ridden. We woke up to 1+ feet of fresh at the lodge and got up to elevation (this was in Wyoming) to almost four feet of fresh powder snow. Everyone was getting stuck, even the boosted two strokes in our group. Obviously you can see this is my true passion LOL.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The party at the apartment is something else LOL. It is all snowmobilers with a bunch of crazies downstairs. Drinking until 4am, going on snow cow hunts, shoot guns, firework shows, and all kinds of insanity each weekend. I love it but it is also part of the reason I want my own place. One too many mornings of being so hung over I couldn't ride haha.

Apartment complete with sled art/carnage on the wall
View attachment 24867

Don't fall asleep at night or your sled might end up on top of a dumpster. The fuckers made me do a beer bong for them to help me get it off. Little did I know they poured 6+ shots of whiskey in with the beer.
View attachment 24868

Before things got crazy
View attachment 24869

One of the drives up (-21), I have seen as low as -37 in the past.
View attachment 24870

that is so awesome. :fy:

snowmobiling is my true passion too... just been out of it for two years. i miss my sled a lot.

Thread Info