Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Man I just don’t think it’s gonna be cooked enough to be tender at 180.
I have been cooking to 200 and I feel like its overcooked. Not burnt but well done. I've been google researching and I see some "experts" go to 195 and others say 180 is enough. I have the same issue with pork ribs. Using 3-2-1 method they were too well done. I cut the time to 3-4 hours, and they are perfect for our liking.

Only one way to find out how the brisket will be at 180...rolling the dice. Will post the deets.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have been cooking to 200 and I feel like its overcooked. Not burnt but well done. I've been google researching and I see some "experts" go to 195 and others say 180 is enough. I have the same issue with pork ribs. Using 3-2-1 method they were too well done. I cut the time to 3-4 hours, and they are perfect for our liking.

Only one way to find out how the brisket will be at 180...rolling the dice. Will post the deets.
Idk dude, I would take it to at least 190. How long of a rest are you doing?
Brisket is a rough cut of meat

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Brisket I hit 204, wrap it
In the cooler for 4 hours 🙌
I go off the probe feel, I’ll usually start poking at it around 190ish. Usually done between 195-200ish. The last one I did, I left the house for longer than expected. It got up to 212 lol. Still had excellent flavor but was overcooked

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

Do you have a second thermal probe you can use? I wonder if your probes calibration is off?

Fat melts and that is the juicinessof the meet. Collagen is what controls if the meat is tender or not. Collagen is like wound fibers. It starts to loosen up at 140 or so. At 180 degrees internal temp it might work out. But you're gonna want to keep the internal temp between 140 and 180 for a long time. Like really low and slow. As at higher cooking temp the collagen won't have the time to loosen up as the internal temp climbs quickly to 180. Keeping it in the 160-180 internal temp zone will benifit you.

That being said, collagen also tighens up as it gets too hot. So it starts to tighten the fibers back up. Making it less tender. So over cooking is bad too. But I think that above 210-215 internal temp. But typically you see people going 195-205 internal temp. I can't imagine it being well done every time at 200 internal temp. Which lead me to ask about the accuracy of the probe you're using.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Do you have a second thermal probe you can use? I wonder if your probes calibration is off?

Fat melts and that is the juicinessof the meet. Collagen is what controls if the meat is tender or not. Collagen is like wound fibers. It starts to loosen up at 140 or so. At 180 degrees internal temp it might work out. But you're gonna want to keep the internal temp between 140 and 180 for a long time. Like really low and slow. As at higher cooking temp the collagen won't have the time to loosen up as the internal temp climbs quickly to 180. Keeping it in the 160-180 internal temp zone will benifit you.

That being said, collagen also tighens up as it gets too hot. So it starts to tighten the fibers back up. Making it less tender. So over cooking is bad too. But I think that above 210-215 internal temp. But typically you see people going 195-205 internal temp. I can't imagine it being well done every time at 200 internal temp. Which lead me to ask about the accuracy of the probe you're using.
I’m using the temp system that came with the Masterbuilt. For thanksgiving, I smoked a turkey and the little pop up plastic temp came up which is supposed to be 165 and my smokers probe temp was like 155. You Might be on to something though. Maybe there is some slop in there but which is more accurate, the little plastic pop off or the metal probe??
IMG_2484.jpeg

Reactions: Jon01

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Here we go. This time I am cooking brisket to 165 internal temp, wrap, then 180. Pull out and let rest. Every time I go to 200 it’s well done but we like medium.
View attachment 196611

One thing to keep in mind is that there's no such thing as rare, medium, well when it comes to BBQ. You're cooking well beyond those temps in order to break down the connective tissues and really tenderize the meat. Ironically, undercooked brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc will have a similar texture to traditionally overcooked meats when you're cooking to traditional temps. It's cooked thoroughly, but you haven't broken down those tissues...leading to it still being tough and dry. BBQ tends to become a fall-apart mess when it's overdone (fall off the bone ribs are a sign of overcooking).

I'd recommend using the temp only as a rough guide. Use probe tenderness and feel the looseness of the meat (ribs and brisket) to gauge when it's truly done.

Also, you're cooking flats by themselves. As you may already know, that's the lean section of the brisket - if you're also getting cheaper/sale cuts from grocery stores, they're going to be choice/select cuts and even leaner on top of that. Next time, bite the bullet and grab a prime full-packer from Costco, let it sit in your fridge (in the cryovac) for 10-14 days, and then cook it. The difference will be significant.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I’m using the temp system that came with the Masterbuilt. For thanksgiving, I smoked a turkey and the little pop up plastic temp came up which is supposed to be 165 and my smokers probe temp was like 155. You Might be on to something though. Maybe there is some slop in there but which is more accurate, the little plastic pop off or the metal probe??
Do you even have a instant read thermometer?

Reactions: Yaj Yak

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
One thing to keep in mind is that there's no such thing as rare, medium, well when it comes to BBQ. You're cooking well beyond those temps in order to break down the connective tissues and really tenderize the meat. Ironically, undercooked brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc will have a similar texture to traditionally overcooked meats when you're cooking to traditional temps. It's cooked thoroughly, but you haven't broken down those tissues...leading to it still being tough and dry. BBQ tends to become a fall-apart mess when it's overdone (fall off the bone ribs are a sign of overcooking).

I'd recommend using the temp only as a rough guide. Use probe tenderness and feel the looseness of the meat (ribs and brisket) to gauge when it's truly done.

Also, you're cooking flats by themselves. As you may already know, that's the lean section of the brisket - if you're also getting cheaper/sale cuts from grocery stores, they're going to be choice/select cuts and even leaner on top of that. Next time, bite the bullet and grab a prime full-packer from Costco, let it sit in your fridge (in the cryovac) for 10-14 days, and then cook it. The difference will be significant.
Gonna try 195 with next brisket

Reactions: SleeperLS

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
No, I guess must have??

Reminds me of “Do you even lift bro?”
You absolutely should get one. It's a great tool

If you don't have a instant thermometer, what do you use to probe the brisket to see it's tenderness? Like b00sted mentioned. Do you even check the tenderness before you pull or off? Checking for tenderness is a more telling sign of if it's done than the internal temp.

Thread Info