Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
On the plus side:

Ease of use. Turn it on. Insert food and wood chips. Relax.
Decent smoke flavor.
If you wrap the water and drain pans with foil, clean up isn't hard.

On the negative:

No smoke ring (not enough oxygen?)
Masterbuilt wood chip tray is too small and requires refilling hourly.
Masterbuilt thermometer is 25 degrees high. Set it at 275* and the grill will be at 250* and 275 is as high as it goes.
30" size doesn't have a ton of room. Need to cut rib racks in half so they fit. You can manipulate the smoker racks to allow for things like brisket by angling one rack down so you have its surface area connecting to a lower rack's surface area. Not elegant but it works.

Overall, I think the Masterbuilt is a good choice if you don't want to babysit your smoker. It won't give results as good as an offset smoker but it does OK. Will I buy one? Too early to tell. Hopefully my buddy lets me keep it a couple more weeks so I can try a pork butt and maybe a turkey in it.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm horrible at taking after pics but the tenderloin came out great. I used a recipe from Malcolm Reed for the herb crust and horseradish dill dipping sauce.

A couple take aways. I wish I would have pulled it a couple minutes early because it sat for a while and cooked a tad past medium rare. I also would have cut back on the amount of the herbs and S&P I added to the meat. I was a little too much.

Brisket will be smoked at some point. I think I'll smoke the pork butt I got next.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Another thing I didn't get any pics of was my wings Saturday :ROFLMAO:.

For the first time I tossed some in corn starch. I mixed cornstarch, lawrys and franks red hot seasoning. Tossed the wings in and shook off the excess. I cooked all the wing on my propane weber.

The cornstarch worked perfectly. It added a bit or crunch and complexity to the flavor when tossed in buffalo sauce.

I also perfected my parmesan garlic wings buy using grated parm out of the can. All in all Saturday was the best wings I have ever made.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I can freeze a rib roast, right? I have so much food left over from the weekend cooks but couldn't pass up the Easter sale, $5.99 lb. rib roast.

bKygrX7.jpg

ICJ6t6j.jpg

id vacuum seal it or if you can't do that i'd wrap it in freezer paper.

toss it in there like that it won't go well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Let the cook begin. I'm doing the standing rib roast in the aromatic vegetables to have those drippings/fond for an au jus. The plain one is to get the plain meat drippings for a Yorkshire Pudding. I decided not to go with a horseradish crust on one of them because I am reverse searing them in the oven and didn't know how the crust would stand up to the sear. Might have burned it. I'm making a horseradish sauce on the side to serve with the prime rib.

EDIT: I added some fresh Rosemary, Parsley and Thyme to the aromatics after the pic.

et1EAGV.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Roasts are done early. Guests won't be ready to eat for another 2 hours. Probably won't arrive for at least 1 1/2. I pulled the roasts at 120* and they are resting in tinfoil. One is at 130 the other at 131. They should stabilize soon. If the temp starts dropping, I will FTC them (foil, towel, cooler). I am going to crank the oven up as high as it will go about ten mins. before serving and reverse sear them.

EDIT: I unwrapped them because they are at 134 and 135. Stop climbing roasts, you're perfect now. :eek:

EDITEDIT: Stabilized at 135 and 138. Should be OK. That's medium/rare - medium territory. A little higher than I wanted on the one roast but what can you do? 18* is a lot of cooking carry. I will wait until they drop a degree or two and then FTC.

NEeJYvS.jpg

Thread Info