Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
Tried their new recipe burgers and damn good!!
20210422_175351.jpg
20210422_175526.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
That looks great!

I don't know if I want an electric smoker. After using one for a month, I am discovering they have deficiencies. I don't want to spend a grand or more for a top smoker so I'm looking at the lower cost models. Pit Barrel, WSM, all the clones, etc.

The Weber Smokey Mountain usually comes out on top so I am thinking about upgrading to the 22" model. You can cook with charcoal or wood. Water pan or no water pan. Two cooking grates for double level smoking and can be set up with hooks for vertical smoking. You can set up the grate right over the coals for high temp cooking. There are electric fan devices available that maintain set and forget constant temps. Seems to be a lot of goodness for half the cost of the big smokers. Anyone have the 22" WSM? If so, how do you like it?

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
That looks great!

I don't know if I want an electric smoker. After using one for a month, I am discovering they have deficiencies. I don't want to spend a grand or more for a top smoker so I'm looking at the lower cost models. Pit Barrel, WSM, all the clones, etc.

The Weber Smokey Mountain usually comes out on top so I am thinking about upgrading to the 22" model. You can cook with charcoal or wood. Water pan or no water pan. Two cooking grates for double level smoking and can be set up with hooks for vertical smoking. You can set up the grate right over the coals for high temp cooking. There are electric fan devices available that maintain set and forget constant temps. Seems to be a lot of goodness for half the cost of the big smokers. Anyone have the 22" WSM? If so, how do you like it?
Got a 22 WSM. Absolutely love it. Ive got it dialed in so much, that i trust it to do overnight cooks unattended for 8+ hours using minion method. I do briskets, short ribs, and pork butts as overnight cooks all the time. Very predictable and very reliable. Holds a lot of meat too.

Strongly recommend some mods. Shelf, lid hinge, and gasket set are musts IMO. I have more than just those on mine, like the door and casters. Those are nice, but the first mentioned stuff are "must do's" IMO. Gasket set really helps maintain temp and conserves charcoal. I got all my stuff from Cajun Bandit.

Most of Harry Soo's BBQ trophys were done with old beat up 350 dollar WSMs, up against guys with $20k pits.

Bad stuff is, fitment is kinda cheap. Theres a reason for getting gaskets. It'll leak smoke. I promise. Around the door, the lid and base to the middle. Still very useable with leaks and still does a great job. Harry Soo doesnt have gaskets on his.
It's also sort of high maintenance. Have to clean out the ash after every long cook. If not ash will easily build up beneath the charcoal grate, it'll obstruct air flow and create temperature issues.
20210423_163049.jpeg
20210423_163113.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Thanks for the info!

I have seen Harry Soo videos where he cracks open his lid and puts a wood piece in the gap to hold it open and raise his temps. The gasket probably raises the heat a bit, too?
Actually the opposite in my experience. All the leaks get too much airflow to feed the coals. If using minion method it spreads the amount of lit coals. With gaskets you have a lot more control over temp, and probably the most important mod IMO.

Got the brisket out of the pastrami wet brine and onto the smoker. Rubbed with freshly ground coriander and coarse black pepper. Smells like pastrami for sure. Hoping the curing brine will lend enough salty flavor so that it was smart decision to not use salt in the rub. Using all Grape wood today. Nice delicate smoke flavor, very similar to cherry wood.
20210424_073710.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Pastrami went over great, very different than "cold cut" style. Neat to have served warm and with super fresh coriander and black pepper. Sliced and served at prob 180 degrees. Honest self criticisms, a bit too salty. If you wet brine, id recommend rinsing cold water overnight. I thought it was too salty, others didnt, loved it as is. Next time i will definitely rinse overnight.

Definitely hit the pastrami notes. Will definitely will do again. Did the Meathead recipe. Weird to have something i smoked with good quality thin blue smoke for 6 hours and that flavor being such a background player. Lots of flavor. Point cuts were the best (just like any brisket). Highly recommend anyone if you havent. Not that hard to do beyond your average guy brisket.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Rubbed,

bc0cDwu.jpg

Smoked for 2 hours then wrapped with spiced apple cider, brown sugar, agave nectar.

qtLlqHQ.jpg

Going so fast I didn't even put them in a bowl.

A5aWuCv.jpg

I served them on street taco shells with a lime, cilantro crema and cabbage. Used the pork belly skin for pork crackling. Made some homemade salsa to go with it.

uGa33TF.jpg

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020

Thread Info