Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You use ground beef or chunks? My wife substitutes ground Turkey for beef or mixes them to great success.
Guy's recipe uses several types of meat. I have won contests with variations of it. The ingredient list is huge but the flavors are complex and great. I usually double it and freeze half of it for a quick meal down the road.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah I've used all sorts of off the shelf rubs, but maybe I'm crazy. The ones I've made from simple ingredients seem to be best.
Off the shelf rubs meaning rubs from the local stores?

I used to only use my homemade rubs on everything, still do every time I make wings. I have bought rubs online that you cant find in stores on the advice of guys here on TCG and other friends. There is some seriously good rubs out there. Now on anything but wings its probably 2/3rds of the time something I bought and 1/3rd of the time I use my homemade rubs.

Reactions: Z28Camaro

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak

Dat USDA Prime
FTW

20210304_130642.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
How do you turn a Weber gas grill into a smoker?

I opened up my cabinet outside and discovered I have no wood chips. Darn. I do have Apple wood chunks so I put 4 chunks directly on top of the Weber burner that is lit. Opened the Weber after a while and it looked like a smoker inside. We'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't burn the house down with the overnight cook. I have my Meater Plus in there which will alert me if the temp gets over 250*.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Another successful overnight pork shoulder cook. Who cares if the grill was smoking and getting hot from too many wood chunks? Who cares if I ran out of propane at 8 A.M. and had to transfer it to the oven? The important thing is the end result.

hAfxZ2A.jpg

Another way to tell a pork butt is done is when the bark separates. I took this one to around 200*, did the poke test and had the visual separation of the bark to all let me know it was done. Poke test is most important, IMO. I let it rest wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler for 3 hours and just pulled it. Super tender and juicy. Letting it rest is an important step. Doesn't have to be 3 hours. An hour is enough.

jLhgudB.jpg

Cii9jwV.jpg

I'm going to lock this recipe in and use it every time. Bob Lilly's injection mixture, Lambert's Sweet Rub O' Mine, 225*-250* grill taking the meat temp. to between 195* and 203* Resting for a while in a faux cambro. Apple chips or chunks. This recipe has given me consistently great results.

I made some coleslaw for the sandwiches, too.

GmAl5Dp.jpg

Reactions: Spivitz

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I experimented with the kettle again. This time I bought charcoal baskets and attempted kettle fried chicken. It was a bust, I couldn't maintain a hot enough temp indirect. I should have used both baskets in retrospect. I need to become more comfortable with charcoal before attempting any more poultry on the kettle. This is chicken fail #3.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I experimented with the kettle again. This time I bought charcoal baskets and attempted kettle fried chicken. It was a bust, I couldn't maintain a hot enough temp indirect. I should have used both baskets in retrospect. I need to become more comfortable with charcoal before attempting any more poultry on the kettle. This is chicken fail #3.
Trial and error, you will get it down sooner than later

Thread Info