💬 OT TCG Florida crew throws hands with Hurricane Ian

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Friend that lives on his boat north of Tampa Bay - all is well, he is fine, boat is fine and he even secured the unmanned boat next to him during the surge.
High School friend that just retired down there 3 weeks ago was on a second floor apartment in Clearwater is only missing a few screens. He’s renting while looking for a house, willing to bet he can find something cheap now.
Other friend from high school was supposed to move to Fort Meyers in a few weeks got a call that the house she was supposed to close on had a boat go through it and it’s no longer there, the boat is there but the house collapsed and floated away. The video her cousin took of the area in Fort Meyers where she was supposed to move is disturbing, there’s literally nothing left.
Yep this event is going to put a big slow if not stop on the mass migration to florida thats been going on for the last two years. Lots of reality checks were just had by many people. Politics SUCKS, mother nature sucks more.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Yep this event is going to put a big slow if not stop on the mass migration to florida thats been going on for the last two years. Lots of reality checks were just had by many people. Politics SUCKS, mother nature sucks more.
We are hoping this will slow the incoming and speed up the outgoing. That combined with the collapsing housing market should get us a good deal on a house in 6-12 months.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
We are hoping this will slow the incoming and speed up the outgoing. That combined with the collapsing housing market should get us a good deal on a house in 6-12 months.

Im hoping the same for my parents. They have been trying to get out of Mchenry for two years and get down here. But the home prices in our area doubled and took them out of the market.

Reactions: cdh027

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Just got an update from Flyn Flyn

D162706D-E94E-406A-8E79-D27DA64C0E59.jpeg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
The economic impact, especially to those who work in the tourism related industries, will be significant.

Small business owners and staff members are not making any income.

The insurance does not cover list revenue, wages, tips, etc.

I hope any Govt funding, donations, etc. will make its way to the impacted staff members too (i.e., average worker).

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Man seeing FMB completely leveled is hard. Hitting me bad. We have vacationed there 4 times over the last two years. We loved the small beach town feel and the tropical warm water even in the dead of winter. And all of the boardwalk restaurants and shops we would go to. They are all GONE. This is unreal. Those places on the water were so old and aged but with so much rich history. Mom and pop shops, like the one on the pier. That shop that sold all the cool trinkets and sea shells has disappeared. That old women that used to work it we just talked to last month. She was handing it over to her daughter and son-in-law to run. And its gone. We watched the sunset at the end of that non existent pier 5 weeks ago.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Yeah Sanibel islands only Income was tourism and was already hurting because of COVID. Now you can’t even get there by car and guessing they will have to setup a ferry system while the roads being repaired. Guessing it will be years before that whole bridge is back up. Just brutal.

My wife and I were married on the beach In Sanibel and had already booked a trip in the spring to the same resort we were married in but from the videos I’ve seen that resort is Gone. Washed away completely. ☹️

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
If anyone needs a place to park a camper I got land in south Alabama. Kind of a haul but if it takes you 8 hours to get here and you can stay a week or two til restoration efforts get better you're more than welcome. We got two generators and water on site. I'm about 15 minutes from buccees i10 in Loxley.

We had Sally hit us hard. I worked 10 days straight 133 hours on one two week check. It sucks real bad.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Man seeing FMB completely leveled is hard. Hitting me bad. We have vacationed there 4 times over the last two years. We loved the small beach town feel and the tropical warm water even in the dead of winter. And all of the boardwalk restaurants and shops we would go to. They are all GONE. This is unreal. Those places on the water were so old and aged but with so much rich history. Mom and pop shops, like the one on the pier. That shop that sold all the cool trinkets and sea shells has disappeared. That old women that used to work it we just talked to last month. She was handing it over to her daughter and son-in-law to run. And its gone. We watched the sunset at the end of that non existent pier 5 weeks ago.

Yeah Sanibel islands only Income was tourism and was already hurting because of COVID. Now you can’t even get there by car and guessing they will have to setup a ferry system while the roads being repaired. Guessing it will be years before that whole bridge is back up. Just brutal.

My wife and I were married on the beach In Sanibel and had already booked a trip in the spring to the same resort we were married in but from the videos I’ve seen that resort is Gone. Washed away completely. ☹️
Yeah I was pretty bummed out scrolling through pictures today. I was in Fort Myers in March with my girlfriend and we spent a lot of time on Sanibel Island while we were there. We liked the area so much that we went back for labor day weekend. We loved that it didn't have an over commercialized feel like so many other touristy areas.

We really like Bowman's Beach. We stayed in Airbnb's both times, but always stop at the Sundial resort for drinks and lunch. The restaurant overlooking the ocean is a great spot.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Thread Info