Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
???

7B6ECF99-59AD-4E5A-8607-93FD283A9FC5.jpeg

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Just checking in from Orlando. This was my first real hurricane since I moved to Florida in Jan 21. Definitely scary but mostly because everything is such an unknown in terms of when/where it will it hit? Will it turn or will it stay on its current course? Will it take out our power? Etc. I got Hella lucky it seems because I didn't even really lose power. My area barely got any flooding and after driving around yesterday, the amount of trees and branches thrown around didn't look any worse than your average thunderstorm in the north shore of Chicago where I grew up. Obviously not the case on the West coast of the peninsula, my heart absolutely breaks for those folks, I can't imagine what that's like. Anyways, all that being said, I absolutely, positively, STILL don't miss Illinois ?

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Just checking in from Orlando. This was my first real hurricane since I moved to Florida in Jan 21. Definitely scary but mostly because everything is such an unknown in terms of when/where it will it hit? Will it turn or will it stay on its current course? Will it take out our power? Etc. I got Hella lucky it seems because I didn't even really lose power. My area barely got any flooding and after driving around yesterday, the amount of trees and branches thrown around didn't look any worse than your average thunderstorm in the north shore of Chicago where I grew up. Obviously not the case on the West coast of the peninsula, my heart absolutely breaks for those folks, I can't imagine what that's like. Anyways, all that being said, I absolutely, positively, STILL don't miss Illinois ?
True that. And you only saw a cat1. It was still a cat3 when it ripped past us.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My friend in Haines City got power back sometime during the night. They’re elated. Was glad the storm lost some steam before it got to them.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It ended up being such a waste to put up our shutters. I won't how many time in the last 20 years our area has had it bad enough that shutters would have prevented damage. It makes me want to reconsider putting them up. Of course the time I skip it, we get hit so hard the windows all break.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
It ended up being such a waste to put up our shutters. I won't how many time in the last 20 years our area has had it bad enough that shutters would have prevented damage. It makes me want to reconsider putting them up. Of course the time I skip it, we get hit so hard the windows all break.
How long does it take to put them up and take them down

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
How long does it take to put them up and take them down

Putting them up (since it was my first time) took me a full day. The removal is super-easy and got it all done in less than 2 hours. I could probably shave a few hours on the install next time. They don't fit properly and a lot of that time is just struggling to get them to line up and screwing them in. I'm worried that I stripped some of the threads on the screws because the shutters were rubbing against them. It's either the holes weren't drilled the proper distance on the house, or the metal shutters have some variances to them outside the norm.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Putting them up (since it was my first time) took me a full day. The removal is super-easy and got it all done in less than 2 hours. I could probably shave a few hours on the install next time. They don't fit properly and a lot of that time is just struggling to get them to line up and screwing them in. I'm worried that I stripped some of the threads on the screws because the shutters were rubbing against them. It's either the holes weren't drilled the proper distance on the house, or the metal shutters have some variances to them outside the norm.
Were the holes preinstalled or did someone have to drill them on site? I’m sure you could open them up and once properly fitted mark where they go for next time.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Were the holes preinstalled or did someone have to drill them on site? I’m sure you could open them up and once properly fitted mark where they go for next time.

I wasn't sure if I'd be compromising the integrity of the shutter by shaving off the area around some of the holes, some are off by a half inch. I mean, I was able to do it, just half the time spent on the install was fitting the shutters on the screws.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
At my friend’s place in Doral the shutters are permanently installed, they retract out of the way. Takes only a few seconds to close and secure them. Granted that means they’re always visible, which doesn’t bother him.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
At my friend’s place in Doral the shutters are permanently installed, they retract out of the way. Takes only a few seconds to close and secure them. Granted that means they’re always visible, which doesn’t bother him.
Those are really nice to have. About 50% of the people in my niegborhood couldnt put thier shutters on because they either didnt line up to the hole on the house or they were given someone elses shutters from down the block. It was a clusterfuck.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
The company that installed the shutters provides pictures of the shutters on the house to 'prove' they fit. But I can guarantee those guys didn't get the stitch bolts in on the patio slider doors. I got one out of ten to line up.

If I didn't have to beat the shit out of the shutters by bending them and pounding on them to get them to fit, it wouldn't bother me and I'd put them up without getting stressed. But they will prevent any objects from smashing your windows and then getting rain in your house.

Reactions: cdh027

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Over west in Clermont, they had less than 5" and never lost power either.

Thread Info