Stock PCM/wiring or Holley Terminator X?

How to control my Ls swap

• Carb it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So due to a drunk, my 14 caprice is no longer my daily driver. Bought it back from insurance and now plan on dropping the L77 (alloy gen 4 6.0) into my 1970 Buick with a manual trans. Engine has a basic bitch BTR ls3 stage 2 cam and supporting mods.

Looking at what it takes to get it running and trying to figure out if it’s worth trying to cut down stock wiring and buy HPT to try and tune it or just drop the coin on a terminator X kit. https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/ls_efi_systems/parts/550-905

so what would you sloppy boys do?
Boost isn’t out of the question since I’d be getting headers and shit for it anyways, might as well buy different China headers Or Holley turbo manifolds.

so what would you sloppy boys do?

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Do you care about keeping the stock dash/gauges functional?
If so, I'm not aware of a way to run Holley stuff and maintain stock outputs...I could be very wrong here as it's been a while since I dug around on it and then I didn't dig very deep.

truckdoug

George Soros Built My Hotrod
Oct 26, 2020
Portland, Ore.
Real Name
doug
If so, I'm not aware of a way to run Holley stuff and maintain stock outputs...I could be very wrong here as it's been a while since I dug around on it and then I didn't dig very deep.
you can do a side-by-side install to keep factory gauges and bcm stuff happy

• Love
Reactions: Jon01

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
This is going in a 1970 Buick and its got a mechanical speedo, speedhut tach and speedhut typical gauges (volts, temp, oil pressure)

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
This is going in a 1970 Buick and its got a mechanical speedo, speedhut tach and speedhut typical gauges (volts, temp, oil pressure)

Exactly. I'm not sure how you get the stock speedo working with a Holley system.
Do they have any kind of output to drive one of the many conversion boxes?
Or do you have to find a way to get the output out of the trans?

denmah

Oct 26, 2020
transmission aspect is abig one, usually the holley take the wheel is the way to go unless you want the 6l80e, but honestly its more than likely easier to sell it working and good and 80e swap and do wild things all 100% supported with holley, other than stock gauges and other things right, it all depends on the goals and more

truckdoug

Oct 26, 2020
Portland, Ore.
Real Name
doug
Exactly. I'm not sure how you get the stock speedo working with a Holley system.
there is a speedo output in the harness, you dont need to burn an output to run a dakota digital/speedhut/jegs

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

I’m still not sure what trans I’m running. The car has a Muncie m21 currently, if I can find a t56 for a reasonable price I’ll snag one of those. Ok also not opposed to doing a speedhut gps or digital speedo. No auto for this car.

truckdoug

Oct 26, 2020
Portland, Ore.
Real Name
doug
depends what you wanna do with it. cant beat the close ratio for auto-x and general fun having. i'm working on a '66 chevelle with an m20 and we've decided to change motors rather than rustle up an m21 or m22. its easier to get more cubes than find a good rock crusher lol

drag car? auto hands down.

also gps speedos have come a looooooong way. they are more than acceptable now.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
depends what you wanna do with it. cant beat the close ratio for auto-x and general fun having. i'm working on a '66 chevelle with an m20 and we've decided to change motors rather than rustle up an m21 or m22. its easier to get more cubes than find a good rock crusher lol

drag car? auto hands down.

also gps speedos have come a looooooong way. they are more than acceptable now.
My goal is just plain fun :rofl:

Oct 26, 2020
I cant say enough good things about Terminator X. The idea of using a factory pcm/harness is not something I will ever consider after working with the Term X. On that car you can get the OG gauges to work with the exception of the speedometer unless you keep the 4 speed. Just have to maybe use some thread adapters to match the factory sending units for oil/coolant.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

codemanrose

Oct 26, 2020
Look at my pic lol. BUT, I typically have people go towards termx stuff as they are so broad in everything they want to do. It's the easy factor and just one size fits all.
I'm cheap AF and do my own harnesses and the stock stuff does 95% of the stuff I want. Anything else I need I either look at arduino to finish it off or 3rd party.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Nice!

Hoping to use as much as I can from the car. Unsure about using the fuel pump or not. I know it’s the same part number as a zl1 camaro pump so might be enough for a a modified dontbsme build.

Another score is the hefty power cable and grounds since its got the battery in the trunk too.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thread Info