• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Stick shift street/strip racing tires

Camarofreak11

Dec 14, 2021
Doing a 15 inch conversion on my camaro, and looking to try some new tires and compounds. I have been running Hoosier QTP 28x11.5 with D06 compound. The D06 compound hooks but wears out extremely fast.
Looking at either Hoosier 28x10.5 stiff sidewall with c07 compound , or may try radial MT et street r again. Does anyone have experience with these tires that can compare their experience? Have a heavy stick shift turbo car and diaphragm clutch.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Doing a 15 inch conversion on my camaro, and looking to try some new tires and compounds. I have been running Hoosier QTP 28x11.5 with D06 compound. The D06 compound hooks but wears out extremely fast.
Looking at either Hoosier 28x10.5 stiff sidewall with c07 compound , or may try radial MT et street r again. Does anyone have experience with these tires that can compare their experience? Have a heavy stick shift turbo car and diaphragm clutch.
Both the Hoosier 28x10.5 stiff sidewall with C07 compound and the radial MT ET Street R tires are popular choices for street/strip racing applications.

The Hoosier tires with stiff sidewalls and C07 compound are known for providing good traction and durability, making them suitable for high-horsepower applications like your heavy stick shift turbo car. The stiff sidewall helps with stability during launches, while the C07 compound strikes a good balance between traction and longevity compared to the D06 compound you've been using.

On the other hand, the MT ET Street R tires are popular among drag racers for their radial construction, which can provide a smoother ride and better handling characteristics on the street compared to bias-ply tires like the Hoosiers. The radial design also offers consistent performance and good grip on the strip.

Ultimately, the choice between the Hoosier and MT tires will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you're looking for a tire that balances traction and durability, the Hoosier with C07 compound could be a solid option. If you value a smoother ride and consistent performance both on the street and the strip, the radial MT ET Street R tires might be more suitable for your setup.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I run the 15" conversion on my S550, which is still IRS. I have run the MT stiff side wall 28x10.5 and the Hoosier C07 stiff side wall. I prefer the Hoosier, as it walked less up top, felt much more stable on the shift as well. Both performed pretty much the same on the leave. I wont even bother with a radial, track has to be on absolute killer prep to work. Did that battle many times, and since i do mostly no prep or prep that is piss poor, a slick is consistent, recovers, and has a wide window it works in, when it comes to suspension settings. My car is stick with twins as well.

Camarofreak11

Dec 14, 2021
I run the 15" conversion on my S550, which is still IRS. I have run the MT stiff side wall 28x10.5 and the Hoosier C07 stiff side wall. I prefer the Hoosier, as it walked less up top, felt much more stable on the shift as well. Both performed pretty much the same on the leave. I wont even bother with a radial, track has to be on absolute killer prep to work. Did that battle many times, and since i do mostly no prep or prep that is piss poor, a slick is consistent, recovers, and has a wide window it works in, when it comes to suspension settings. My car is stick with twins as well.
Thanks, I think I'll try the stiff wall C07 hoosiers

Reactions: 01bluesnake

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
You have a 5th gen right? I did a 15" conversion on my 2010.

I've not raced stick shift combos but friends that do usually go with a bias stiff sidewall slick.

I'd say for the street I'd run an ET Street R, wears slower than a Pro based on experience.

My best results with my 5th gen were on a Hoosier slick, 1.47 all day long:
1710953056075.png

For the 15" conversion I prefer the BMR kit with the smaller coil over shocks, I also previously had the Mark Carlyle kit but the car sat too high and there's nothing you can do with that kit to change it.

BMR kit
1710953229270.png

I have ET Street Rs on my '67 but usually DRs won't tolerate any spin (wheel speed).

Thread Info