Sprayin's 86 Capri Poverty Edition

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
If you can score a rear header out of a Capri, spot weld, and get some seam sealer- your issue will be fixed. I see no indications that your car has been hit hard in the back

yeah but plenty ofthem cars have been launched hard enough and while retaining the pinion snubber to buckle the rear floorpans/C pillars

Jbigalows heap was most deffinatly a beat on race car, and I swear that hatch cars never seem to fucking line up with the hatch/proper gap and width.

keep the scars for posterity...

I am disappointed he didn't keep the 83 rear wiper hatch and mechanism to put on his....I still think it woulda been cool to see peoples reactions to the rare option.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Got the trans out today. Was going to replace the clutch with a used one I had laying around, but the clutch in there actually looks somewhat new. So its going back in. Replaced the rear main seal when I was down there. Need to do the oil pan gasket next, as it is definitely leaking, which led to the most grimy oil pan I have ever seen - spent like an hour just trying to clean the grime off everything.

Draining the fluid out of the transmission, and less than a quart came out of it. Bought the car with a "bad transmission" but I think it was just really low on fluid. Need to replace the tailshaft seal before I put it back in.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Man, I really had to fight to get motor mounts that didn't completely suck. Just used some cheap Vatozone specials and they either a.) didn't fit or b.) threads were jacked up, despite being brand new. Forgot about Fox 101 and ended up getting convertible mounts and they worked just fine. It was just a "wait for this part to come in, doesnt work return, wait for this part to come in." Week and some change later I finally have the engine back in properly :rofl: Transmission will go in this week or next and hopefully I have her running and driving by the end of next week (Spring break, so I'll have some time to waste on her.)

I also deleted the EGR and Smog pump. The smog pump was shot, so just pulled the whole AIR system off and pluged the holes in the back of the heads.

Found a stock cat-back off a stock 91LX that I'm also putting on so I can get rid of this side exhaust abomination that is on there.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
What would a junky fox body be without a set of these bad boys? Got a killer deal on them

74bd6a7b3991b2ae30450c8d995679f0.jpg

I've had a lot of shit going on lately so I haven't put a ton of time into this thing, but it's crawling along.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Ive got some GT40 stuff in the garage. Trying to decide if I wanna run it or sell it and go for aluminum stuff.

Being an 86, I can't really run a cam in it unless I notch the pistons.

I would get on the aluminum train, mainly TFS heads. I've slammed many-a B cams in flat top piston cars(.480 lift) without a problem. I still checked p2v clearance just in case.

U might be surprised when u pull the head to find a notched piston in there. Probably a 70% chance that's not the original engine

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I promise you this thing is the stock engine. Everything on this car outside of the body work is 100% OEM.

I've heard mixed things on what cams can fit in an 86. Most people say you can run like an E cam if you keep the E6 heads, but if you do other heads you can't. Idk. I may want to notch them just to be safe.

I really wanna get on the TFS head train, they are just so damn expensive. Even used they are a bit much.

BigJohnson

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2013
I would get on the aluminum train, mainly TFS heads. I've slammed many-a B cams in flat top piston cars(.480 lift) without a problem. I still checked p2v clearance just in case.

U might be surprised when u pull the head to find a notched piston in there. Probably a 70% chance that's not the original engine

This guy knows what he is talking about 73% of the time 100% of the time

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So I picked up a Catback for this thing since I didnt have one, MAC I was told. Pipes are kinda Vato. I can't get them to sit in the right orientation, the pipes are too wide, I think, and are getting stopped by the control arm. They're in place, and don't seem to rub. I'll fiddle with them again when I get tubular control arms.

d375c9211dd5a51db10ab0c0ee129f4f.jpg

86b989008091026a08c4cfd9cf85016c.jpg

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
That's a common problem with a lot of cat backs. Do you have the old design Mac(tailpipe has a 2 stud flange over the axle) or new style(small muffler clamp for the tail pipe?

Older style has an adjustable flow tube as well. To fix the tailpipe angle you're going to have
To get that flow tube in the muffler more. If you have a fixed flow tube you'll have to experiment with the hangers and play with a prybar. But u can get them close. It's just annoying and tedious

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The cat back is in 4 pieces. From the mid pipe to the muffler. The muffler goes into the over the axle and has a 2 bolt flange up. Top. Then there is a pipe down from that with the tail pipe attached to it. It's a clamp with a bolt. The hanger on the tail pipe is "adjustable" but if the angle is off it doesn't help much. I'm missing the hanger at the muffler, so that made it kinda suck. It works for now. I'll fiddle with it when I have more time in the light. I was only playing with it for like an hour.

It still has the stock headers and mid-pipe so changing those out will help a bit as well I'm sure.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I've never used MAC before but I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality of the piece. Got it pretty cheap too. Used parts are kind of hard to come by out here. The fox community is pretty small, or doesn't Facebook well.

If you were here I'd have given you the 2.5" cat back off the car, still need to yank it off the damn thing. Haha

Thread Info