• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Royal purple 5w-20, where to buy?

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I've seen three daily drivers that ran RP for years and spent a lot of time in traffic. I had to open up the valve covers on these engines.

All three were clusterfucks. Sludged up beyond belief.

RP is a race oil, not a street oil.

You wanna go to the track, go like hell for one afternoon and then drain the oil? Fine. This is a good oil.
You wanna use it to sit in traffic? You'll kill your engine with this stuff.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
Jeff,

The Racing 11 was renamed XPR 5W20 several years ago.
It is fully formulated and can be used in street cars.

Some of the lighter viscosity oils used primarily in drag racing would not be suited fro every day use.
The XPR 5W20, XPR 5W30, XPR 10W40 and XPR 20W50 can be used on the street.

Cheers,

David

Royal Purple Inc
David Canitz
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281.354.7600 fax
713.725,7207 cell
[email protected]

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
No chance..

NOT TRUE. BIG CHANCE.

INDEPENDENT LAB TEST.

Royal Purple Info​

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Have you ever seen Mobil's tests vs Amsoil? Equally as astounding..

"They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL"

this thread was about rp and not amsoil.

i am living proof that rp oil sucks ass, it cost me a fuckload of money. i had an oil sample done.

i had a 14k mile car that used exclusively rp from 6000 miles. when the bearing spun we opened it up and the oil pan lookid like it had 75k on it. this independent test almost exactly describes what happened to my car.

i am not basing my opinion on on heresay, i am basing it on personal experiance.

OIL PAN OF A 15K MILE CAR WITH RELIGOUS RP OIL CHANGES.

DSCN5114.jpg

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
RP is an API Licensed oil meaning it is used in Cummins and does not void warranties.

Amsoil is the oil that is NOT API licensed and would void a cummins warranty

what is the point of your post? nobody ever said it did void the warranty, and what point are you trying to prove without any facts? im getting confused here...i have posted pictures, lab tests, and facts.

it quoted that "Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear."

rp contains that property.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
what is the point of your post? nobody ever said it did void the warranty, and what point are you trying to prove without any facts? im getting confused here...i have posted pictures, lab tests, and facts.

it quoted that "Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear."

My point is that if it's banned by Cummins then if you use it your warranty would be voided right?
I think we all have options in life and one is to use whichever oil we want depending on what we have seen or heard. There is a reason why there are dozens of oil manufactures...

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
My point is that if it's banned by Cummins then if you use it your warranty would be voided right?
I think we all have options in life and one is to use whichever oil we want depending on what we have seen or heard. There is a reason why there are dozens of oil manufactures...

i agree, and i f i can save someone the pain and cost of using a bullshit product...i will.

like you said, plenty of good products to choose from, why buy one that has a potentially bad rap?

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power

RP Motor Oils do contain a liquid synthesized molybdenum.
True statement - Cummins Engine does not recommend molybdenum disulfide.
Note the distinction.
Using RP 15W40 in your Dodge Cummins will NOT void your warranty.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
NOT TRUE. BIG CHANCE.

INDEPENDENT LAB TEST.

Royal Purple Info​

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.

This was false info put out by the Tech Manager at Amsoil Corporate over 5 years ago.
RP Motor Oils do contain a liquid synthesized molybdenum.
True statement - Cummins Engine does not recommend molybdenum disulfide.
Note the distinction.
Using RP 15W40 in your Dodge Cummins will NOT void your warranty.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
So you mean the sludge layer that eventually forms on the bottom of my kitchen sink near the drain plug is the same sludge that lines the bottom of the river?
Hell, I'm never buying tap/river water again!!

The shit at the bottom of the river is cleaner, I'd drink from the river (in utah/colorado area up in the mountains) before I'd drink from the sink.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info