Replacing my garage door opener soon. Any tips?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
That wasn't difficult at all! Did it all solo in about 4 hours with cleanup and replacing 2 metal wheels with nylon rollers (previous homeowner didn't quite finish the job). All that's left is programming Homelink on my truck, setting up the WiFi interface and mounting the keypad outside (didn't do it not because of the cold, because of the damn skunk outside).

e1abccb36a32403da6087a63317cc792.jpg

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
That wasn't difficult at all! Did it all solo in about 4 hours with cleanup and replacing 2 metal wheels with nylon rollers (previous homeowner didn't quite finish the job). All that's left is programming Homelink on my truck, setting up the WiFi interface and mounting the keypad outside (didn't do it not because of the cold, because of the damn skunk outside).

e1abccb36a32403da6087a63317cc792.jpg

I haven't gotten around to programming keypad and it's been 9 months, with wifi and openers and home link it's just another layer of protection I guess

I haven't gotten around to programming keypad and it's been 9 months, with wifi and openers and home link it's just another layer of protection I guess

We have one just because it is easier to get out than my cell phone and provides an even easier close button.

That being said it is rarely used

And it sure is nice if you accidentally lock yourself out of your house while checking the mail. So I've heard... :smile:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Well done sir, what chamberlain did you go with?
I got the one in the link in my first post. Chamberlain Whisper Drive 1/2 HP and it came in under my budget at $188 with all the bells and whistles. I had my wife lay in bed in the bedroom directly above the opener and had her hit the opener......she almost broke my neck when she hugged me because it's incredibly quieter than the old one and she could barely hear or feel it, the old one would wake her up every time it moved. I could barely hear it standing on the other side of the closed entry door.

The keypad is a must for me. My wife jogs on the path around my subdivision and doesn't take her keys with and uses the keypad regularly. I also like that my parents can swing by and drop things off or when I have friends dropping things off when I'm not home all they need to do is enter the code. Yes my parents have a key to my house but my father is usually dropping off tools or materials and it's easier to just dump them in the garage.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
If you're going for even quieter, lube the spring and swap out the rollers. It's an easy job and made a huge difference in my garage. My door had a nasty squeak to it even after the chamberlain upgrade, but some rollers and lubricant knocked it out.

I only had 2 rollers that weren't nylon/plastic and those got swapped yesterday along with lubing the track, the spring and tightening down every nut and bolt on anything that touches the door or track. I religiously maintained the track, wheels and everything associated with the door and will continue to do so twice a year when we change our clocks. Daylight savings days are busy for me with swapping batteries in alarms, lubing what needs to be lubed, checking sump pumps etc etc etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info