Replacing my garage door opener soon. Any tips?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Horsepower does not really matter on a regular size door. 1/2 horsepower is just fine. Make sure you get the proper angle iron if there is not already some there. I don't like the dinky ones that come with the opener. Make sure you have a T-25 stapler or else you can spend about an hour pounding those little staples that come with the opener into the wall. Just make sure you don't break the photo eye wires. Make sure you mount the photo eyes about 6 inches from the ground.
A tip about hanging the opener if you are by yourself, is once you have the front bracket mounted on the header, push the door open pretty high and put a vice grip below the bottom roller to hold it up. Then slide the opener over the top of the door. Reach up through the space at the front and put the pin in.
It's not rocket science to install an opener, but might take a little bit if you have never done it before.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
How heavy is the door? When you lift it, does it want to slam down? Some springs might need a slight 1/2 turn or so but a lot of times when I go to peoples houses to do that, turns out the last person put the wrong spring on.

It's pretty heavy, it would definitely want to slam down

When I got the house inspected, the inspector mentioned that it might need another few cranks judging by how heavy it was

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Lots of people find garage springs terrifying. I just don't want to pay to replace it so I don't fuck with mine. Door seems balanced so I lube it up periodically (everything likes lube right?) and leave it alone.

A tip about hanging the opener if you are by yourself, is once you have the front bracket mounted on the header, push the door open pretty high and put a vice grip below the bottom roller to hold it up. Then slide the opener over the top of the door. Reach up through the space at the front and put the pin in.
It's not rocket science to install an opener, but might take a little bit if you have never done it before.

That is a good idea. I used two step ladders as my extra hands.

I second the upgraded angle iron. That dinky shit is silly....

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
PS: Chamberlain also manufactures Craftsman-branded garage door openers sold at Sears stores as well as openers for the Raynor Garage Door Company. Craftsman and LiftMaster garage door openers are essentially Chamberlain models with casing suited to the different brands.

Fwiw, Chamberlain, craftsman and lift master all are made by the same people.

latest

Side/shaft mount is out due to cost and fitment issues (bummer).

switch to jack shaft to remove the hardware track clutter

tldr?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Lots of people find garage springs terrifying. I just don't want to pay to replace it so I don't fuck with mine. Door seems balanced so I lube it up periodically (everything likes lube right?) and leave it alone.

Garage doors are really not that complex. If you understand exactly how they operate, you will probably be safe. One of my old co-workers went to a house where a guy decided to take the center mount off that the springs mount to. Well it was still under load and it spun around 7 full turns in about 1 second. Not enough time to pull his hand away before it cut down to the bone.
Or people that use screwdrivers to wind the springs and then they break :rofl:

Fwiw, Chamberlain, craftsman and lift master all are made by the same people.

Also, a belt on one of those is pretty much never going to break.

I think they have a lifetime warranty on the belt if I remember right

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Garage doors are really not that complex. If you understand exactly how they operate, you will probably be safe. One of my old co-workers went to a house where a guy decided to take the center mount off that the springs mount to. Well it was still under load and it spun around 7 full turns in about 1 second. Not enough time to pull his hand away before it cut down to the bone.
Or people that use screwdrivers to wind the springs and then they break :rofl:

Come and do mine, because your stories aren't helping my fear :rofl:

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Lift Master is virtually the same as Chamberlain. Flip through a parts manual and you'll see the same part numbers on the components. Same motors, same boards, same trolley, etc. Difference is the track, it's one piece versus the Chamberlain retail knock down track.

I've had 4 Chamberlain belt drives, 2 with battery backup, all worked flawlessly.

Your door needs to be counterbalanced. Open it half way and let go - it should stay right there or slowly move up or down when adjusted right.

garage door guy

Forum Sponsor
Sep 23, 2014
The trolley not the same the professional one is all steel the big box stores has plastic guides and the rail is stamped square tube that clips together. The one piece iron rail and the case design makes the Liftmaster unit last a lot longer run smother and slightly more quiet. When installed with heavy duty one inch angle iron and the solid rail the head of the unit has less flex when being used and the parts inside will just last longer . Yes you will pay more buying from a door company but that goes along with anything..

garage door guy

Forum Sponsor
Sep 23, 2014
And just because the door sits halfway doesn't mean its balanced proper. The door should be 10-20 lbs sitting on the floor and as every section rolls up into the Radius You should be able to let the door go and it will stay in place. It should also hold its self open. Their are some cases where this isnt possible but that would be a perfect balanced door.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info