• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Registering a vehicle to an alternative address to eliminate emissions testing

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have no idea what that word means, but I feel like its a great synopsis of the emission testing program.

Perfect word for describing the program.

boon·dog·gle
ˈbo͞onˌdäɡəl/Submit
NORTH AMERICANinformal
noun
work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value.

waste money or time on unnecessary or questionable projects.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you realize the o2 sensors behind the cat don't really affect the tune, right?

Correct; its just an On/Off switch for the CEL light basically.

I had the impression that just enabling the rear O2's may not be enough to pass, so I had mentioned to him to just load the stock tune with defowlers and drive like a Grandma until it passes. He said too much was done to it to safely be on a stock tune. (Sorry, there was internal dialogue here).

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
just register it to wisconsin and be done.

I tried todo this online just the other month and...

Wisconsin Department of Transportation License plates only

•To be an owner of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business)
•A printer with standard white 8.5 x 11 inch paper to print a temporary license plate
•Either form of payment:
◦A valid credit or debit card (Visa, ​MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee​ for this service.

or​​
◦ Direct withdrawal using ACH (Automated Clearing House/electronic funds transfer) payment from your checking or savings account. This payment method is processed using your bank account and routing information. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payments.
•Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
•The last four digits of your social security number (or full SSN)
•Your date of birth
•The license plate number
•The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the license plates

Do you need a Wisconsin drivers license? Can you do it at a DMV? I tried online and got this:

•E1: The information you entered does not match our records. Check the information and try again.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I registered my s2000 at my rents 6yrs ago in Oswego (no emissions) and I just update it online and choose the option that my billing address is different than the registration address. It's like they put that option in there so you can register it at a different place. My other cars are too old for emissions or it's stock so I just registered them at my current residence.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Ya I think I'm confused. Don't see anything preventing it. My two cat-less vehicles wouldn't fail with today's tests but I was nervous if they started sniffing or visual inspecting and thought something new prevented registering a vehicle to a separate address than your ID, which are two different state databases. Not today anxiety. Not today.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I believe emissions test areas and reformulated gasoline go together. You should be able to find what parts of the Chicago area use reformulated gasoline online.

I live in Oswego and have to test, Yorkville doesnt. If you cant see corn from your house, you probably need to be tested.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL

[MENTION=114]LeddZepp8687[/MENTION] you try anti-fowler's yet?

Going into it, my plan was to run anti fowlers. I literally finished building the motor and threw it back in two days before I was due for testing. I drove it like 200 miles and all seemed well, despite the fact that I expected it to throw a CEL for something emission related, but it never did, so I went and got it tested. It was like flies to shit inside that building, half the employees were over looking at the testing computer, while the truck sat there, cammin away while they scratched their heads trying to figure out why literally every emissions related parameter came back not supported. So I got the 4 month extension, went back and forth with my tuner, and never was able to have those flipped back to supported.

So rather than continue to waste time with battling it, I figured I'd go down the address change road. Still sounds like that might be the best option.

I wish that "race car" status thing was still available. syP was telling me about how he used that a few years back, but it looks like its not available anymore :tear:

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info