• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Rear end noise

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
So after doing a lot of thinking, I'm sticking to this car. (For those of you that don't know I was going to sell it and buy a racecar :mamoru:) Anyway... I have a 1998 Firebird V6. The rear end makes noise whenever I hit any kind of bumps.. Yes, I know cars make noises when you hit bumps, but not this much noise. It's kind of like rattling.. It's not the hatch being open, I thought it was that at first..

Now the history of the car: Previous owner had it and didn't maintain it that well... but it wasn't driven that much. It was parked in his driveway for a year because he had a blow out (front driverside tire fell off of the car while he was driving). He never got it fixed. Nothing was wrong with the front end at all, I had it checked by my mechanic. I got new wheels and tires for the bad boy and she's been runing great since. Except the rear end making noise.. I was thinking of doing a rear suspension job on it, considering it needs brakes. So aside from replacing the brakes, what else do you think it could be? Shocks? springs?

Any input would be great, thanks :)

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
sway bar endlinks most likely have play. even with a little play they make a loud annoying rattle.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Will they have play if I try and move them? (such as tie rods for example) it ONLY makes the noise when the car is in motion and goes over a bump.

Normal bounce test and what not the rear seems fine and doesn't make the noise.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
grab onto the endlink and move it up and down/in and out. a normal bounce test wont cause them to make noise.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
turbo that. now. k thanks

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
grab onto the endlink and move it up and down/in and out. a normal bounce test wont cause them to make noise.
will do tomorrow.

LS1 swap costs too much $

no ls1

twin turbo = win.

I belive there's a v6 twin turbo camaro around these parts...

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
will do tomorrow.

LS1 swap costs too much $

no ls1

twin turbo = win.

I belive there's a v6 twin turbo camaro around these parts...
yea, her name is tease, shes also the only other person on her i know of that has an AMC. check ur rear pads too, mine rattle when i hit bumps

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom