R888 Tires with moderate power, opinions?

boost21

Reaction score
Looking to get new tires for my 18" wheels on the cobra. Car is an 04 cobra with a whipple. I had bought BFG drag radials that are currently on the car and honestly I feel like they did nothing for traction and only lasted like 500 miles. I had mickeys on my 17's that seemed to wear very good and had good traction. Since they run narrow and my wheels are 12" wide there really isnt any options by them that will fit my wheels without the stance strech. Ive talked to a few friends who really like the R888's and am considering them in 315/30/18. Anyone have experience with them? How are they for traction vs life? I have a set of dedicated track wheels so don't need something all out race but don't want to be ice skating all over the place. Opinions?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION]

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
best tread life high performance tire hands down. And they're sticky. A whipple cobra isn't going to hook on any street tire.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I did ok on NT05R but they werent the best.

OP
boost21

boost21

Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Had those when the car was a pullied wagon and any throttle I felt like the car was on ice :-/

best tread life high performance tire hands down. And they're sticky. A whipple cobra isn't going to hook on any street tire.

This is what I keep hearing. I know with my torque and low profile traction will always be an issue but these tires seem to be a popular choice for people I know with more power than I have and put more miles than me.

I did ok on NT05R but they werent the best.

I liked my 05R's on my Camaro, haven't looked to see if they make them in 18's

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I think he meant the pilot sports.

The r888s arent known for their life.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
So the super sports were no good?

Tho rwd vs awd isnt a fair comparo.

OP
boost21

boost21

Reaction score
So the super sports were no good?

Tho rwd vs awd isnt a fair comparo.

When I had mine they were a 315/25/19 tire which essentially had zero side wall. Looked cool, ran really wide but I felt that they provided no traction. Probably not the best size and application as I'm sure no tire in that size would do anything other than provide rubber between the wheel and ground

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Reaction score
Why not the TQ DR? Johnny usually gets 2-3 seasons on them, and you know how he beats on his junk

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
The BFG's are notorious for burning up SUPER quick!

I love the R888's. I think it is a great mix of straight line traction and cornering traction/stability. I hate the way standard drag radials feel in the street, very little confidence in turns.

Are you going to hook like a Mickey ET Street or Nitto NT05R? No.

Will you hook better than the 555R's? Yes.

Will you have better tread life than the Mickey ET Street or Nitto NT05R? Yes.

I had well over 500 miles on my R888's and did not notice much tread wear. If you have a 12" wheel I would for sure run the 335 instead of the 315.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom