R888 Tires with moderate power, opinions?

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Looking to get new tires for my 18" wheels on the cobra. Car is an 04 cobra with a whipple. I had bought BFG drag radials that are currently on the car and honestly I feel like they did nothing for traction and only lasted like 500 miles. I had mickeys on my 17's that seemed to wear very good and had good traction. Since they run narrow and my wheels are 12" wide there really isnt any options by them that will fit my wheels without the stance strech. Ive talked to a few friends who really like the R888's and am considering them in 315/30/18. Anyone have experience with them? How are they for traction vs life? I have a set of dedicated track wheels so don't need something all out race but don't want to be ice skating all over the place. Opinions?

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Had those when the car was a pullied wagon and any throttle I felt like the car was on ice :-/

best tread life high performance tire hands down. And they're sticky. A whipple cobra isn't going to hook on any street tire.

This is what I keep hearing. I know with my torque and low profile traction will always be an issue but these tires seem to be a popular choice for people I know with more power than I have and put more miles than me.

I did ok on NT05R but they werent the best.

I liked my 05R's on my Camaro, haven't looked to see if they make them in 18's

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
So the super sports were no good?

Tho rwd vs awd isnt a fair comparo.

When I had mine they were a 315/25/19 tire which essentially had zero side wall. Looked cool, ran really wide but I felt that they provided no traction. Probably not the best size and application as I'm sure no tire in that size would do anything other than provide rubber between the wheel and ground [emoji23]

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
The BFG's are notorious for burning up SUPER quick!

I love the R888's. I think it is a great mix of straight line traction and cornering traction/stability. I hate the way standard drag radials feel in the street, very little confidence in turns.

Are you going to hook like a Mickey ET Street or Nitto NT05R? No.

Will you hook better than the 555R's? Yes.

Will you have better tread life than the Mickey ET Street or Nitto NT05R? Yes.

I had well over 500 miles on my R888's and did not notice much tread wear. If you have a 12" wheel I would for sure run the 335 instead of the 315.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info