• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Question for the TCG Collective Hive - Transporting new generators

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Okay, so my dad is w/o power in SE Kentucky. I picked up two Firman tri-fuel generators from Costco. Brand new in box, still have the banding on them. Running them down there this afternoon/evening.

Would it be safe to transport them on their side instead of upright? I'd like to go on-side so I can use my bed cover to protect (and hide) them. I suspect there might some residual oil from the factory still in the engine which might make it into the head and coat the plug.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks
EA6C6EF7-906D-4760-B3B8-983252B61083.jpeg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Being probably from China (or overseas) there’s probably some rust inhibitor in there but should be just fine once they fire up. I doubt there’s a measurable amount of liquid in there.

We used to get dozens of Honda clone pump engines and they always just had a film sprayed inside.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Well,

It looks like we can put this to bed. On their side they're about 1" too tall to fit under the ribbing for the cover. Ended up taking the cover off.

As for the exposure, they'll be okay out in the weather, I just mean from prying eyes, like if I have to get some rest at a rest stop, or stopping for fuel. There's a fair bit of money sitting back there, and I'm going into an area where everyone is armed and lots of people don't have electricity.

Sooooo I guess kind of like going to Texas.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well,

It looks like we can put this to bed. On their side they're about 1" too tall to fit under the ribbing for the cover. Ended up taking the cover off.

As for the exposure, they'll be okay out in the weather, I just mean from prying eyes, like if I have to get some rest at a rest stop, or stopping for fuel. There's a fair bit of money sitting back there, and I'm going into an area where everyone is armed and lots of people don't have electricity.

Sooooo I guess kind of like going to Texas.
Blanket to cover them or tarp

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I had thought about inside the cab, but they’re just far too large, and each weighs ~250lbs. Basically dropped a nut just getting them onto a flat loading surface that’s 50” wide, let alone an extended-cab truck ?

I’m bringing a moving blanket with to toss over them when I stop, so I don’t have to listen to a tarp flap in the wind for eight hours.

I had thought about unboxing them so I could run a cable/lock through the frames and secure them to the truck.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info