3800 Project: what is it doing? Cavalier L67 swap runs!

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I guess I should share the love over hear.

I figured I could start out with comparing sizes:
B6oHVHA.jpg

lSEjgmg.jpg

Yes, looks like 3800+4t65 is indeed bigger than a 2.4+4t40. 3800 still fits:
I4715iM.jpg

Since it looked good enough, I decided to shimmy it into place. Got the 4t65 lined up where the axles need to be, blocked, strapped, and shimmed into place so I can work on mounts and axles:
SVgj791.jpg

JvgDgny.jpg

AMvo1ma.jpg

p4XgNox.jpg

2BWoDvK.jpg

zpxciy0.jpg

Now that it's wedged in there I need to get the axles figured out and the mounts done. There's some clearance needed on the subframe, but at the moment planning to use the W-body torque axis setup. The axles from the donor, a 99 Riv, are the larger 28mm axles. So I have to go find some 26mm 4t65 axles to pull the inner joints and hopefully that's all that I need. The front spark plugs are going to be a pain to change, but otherwise everything else seems normal for a size 6 engine in a size 2 dress. I'll have to relocate the EGR to clear the master brake cylinder, and might have to do some funny business with the coils. But looks like there's plenty of room between the firewall and the motor to put things. I was hoping for a W-body donor, as it is I'm planning to hit up the local U-pull yards for some brackets. Might get bored and try that new 3800 exhaust sound, I doubt that the ZZP kit would fit so going to cobble it together from scratch.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Is there a cam out there that doesn't require any top end changes that sacrifices low end torque for upper end horsepower, not raising the shift points? I'm a bit worried about tires and this thing just spinning, don't want to have to deal with differential issues with this build, and the cavalier is limited to a 225 wide tire. Due to axle limitations, I might have to use the non-hd axle, so if I keep the Riviera gearset and use a 2.86 diff would the resulting 2.55 ratio be enough to reduce the one-wheel peel? I'm not sure it would slow this car down too much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Is there a cam out there that doesn't require any top end changes that sacrifices low end torque for upper end horsepower, not raising the shift points? I'm a bit worried about tires and this thing just spinning, don't want to have to deal with differential issues with this build, and the cavalier is limited to a 225 wide tire. Due to axle limitations, I might have to use the non-hd axle, so if I keep the Riviera gearset and use a 2.86 diff would the resulting 2.55 ratio be enough to reduce the one-wheel peel? I'm not sure it would slow this car down too much.

Not to my knowledge. The only cam I know that is ok to run with stock valvetrain is the VS. That cam makes quite a bit of low-end torque.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Looks like I figured out the axle combination.

Drivers side:
4t65 inner cup (NA cars only), 4t60 tripot (NA cars only), stock 2000 Cavalier center shaft and Rpezza.
FQp0F88.jpg

Passenger side:
4t65 inner cup (NA cars only), 4t60 tripot (NA cars only), 1991 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3.3L/3-speed auto LH center shaft, Cavalier Rpezza.
c8Bes2B.jpg

How many axles donated themselves to this endeavor?
FZsLi36.jpg

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
I've been collecting axles for some time now, part of a greater effort on my part to catalog the possible combinations. I ended up pulling a few from the yard, the 91 4t60 grand prix axle (which ended up being wrong) and a pair of non-HD 4t65 alxes from a W-body to get the inner cup. I had a bunch of C/H/W body stuff from the late 80's through mid 90's, leftovers from transmission swaps in my '86 LeSabre and a habit of pulling and saving them from every car I scrap. I just happen to be getting ready to scrap a 92 Olds Cutlass Ciera, which has the shortest drivers side axle I know of, which ended up working out.

Reactions: v6buicks

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Yeah, there are two different part numbers for them, without measuring them I wouldn't know if it was significant enough. I noticed that Rockauto lists the LH and RH original Cavi axles as the same, but they are actually about 1/4" different from what I measured. It's probably the same case with the Ciera's - different but not significant enough to worry about.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Now that I have the axles worked out I'm getting the engine mounts and subframe modifications figured out. First up, though, finding out which supercharger belt tensioner assembly will fit:

DLOeU7V.jpg

WFe1Vp7.jpg

The W-body tensioner setup is the closest fit, though I will have to modify the W-body bracket significantly. Looks like I will be able to avoid moving the A/C connector, but not fitting the ICM/coils very comfortably in that gap. I'll have to come back to that after the mounts are done though.

Driver side - using the series 3 3800 trans mount and bracket puts it very close to the subframe.
BHnNSWg.jpg

Passenger side - grabbed a series 3 oil pan and mount setup here as well. Looks like I need to cut out the engine mount pocket from a W-body subframe, and hack off the Cavi engine mount bracket.
fvslx8s.jpg

Still need to source a few minor parts, but the plan is to get some steel cut and tacked into place this weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info