Project: hold all my shits

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
For windows 128GB is plenty. I think thats what I run too.

Ive gone all AMD this time around for server and desktop....the prices on some of the deals are just too good and the performance is right up there with intels offerings. If you plan to overclock, AMD is an even better deal. I overclock my gaming rig but not my plex server. Plex server is all about reliability and stability so it stays stock with an upgraded cpu fan and good air movement in the case.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Well, this is going to take a minute. :rofl: Ill probably just set up my plex and everything else since we are going out of town in the morning and then let it update itself so at least that will be back online.

Ill probably opt into spinning the drives down when not in use as well.

Attachments

• Unraid file transfer.jpg
    Unraid file transfer.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 86

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Got all my media moved. Still have to get the rest of my data moved over.

I also got PiHole running as well. Used this video to get it going. Did get the DHCP on the router to point at the PiHole. I will see how it goes. Im sure my wife is going to bitch at me about something not working for her work. Maybe [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] can give me the heads up to whitelist those. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnQxxn00jU

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Got all my media moved. Still have to get the rest of my data moved over.

I also got PiHole running as well. Used this video to get it going. Did get the DHCP on the router to point at the PiHole. I will see how it goes. Im sure my wife is going to bitch at me about something not working for her work. Maybe [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] can give me the heads up to whitelist those. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnQxxn00jU
If its legit you wont have issues. Its when stuff is on the border is when you have issues, like with Ebates

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Gotcha. So we should be straight. You did this as well right? Do you stick with the Google DNS or do you change that? Right now I just use the Google one.
Yeah I am running it again right now for the last couple months and its been pretty good. Had some wife complaints the first week but I straightened those out. The key is to watch the log while you reproduce the block error and whitelist those addresses.

I am actually using opendns this time around

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So I think Im screwed.

So from the beginning, I was having an issue with the mobo seeing a flash drive to boot UNRAID from. I got it running and it was fine, but always had to select it from a boot list, even though I set it to first priority in the BIOS to boot from. But whatever.

Fast forward to today. I power down the system in order to remove the bluray drive from it since I decided to not use a docker for that, and that would free up a sata port for another drive. I also threw in one of my 3TB drive to add to the array.

Put everything back together. Turn it on, wont recognize the flash. BIOS wont even see it. Try all of my USB ports, nothing. I noticed that the keyboard was also not working in a couple. I go to my windows PC, and plug the flash drive in, windows wont recognize it. It will recognize the first flash drive I planned to use UNRAID for, but not the one I have been using. Neither will my laptop. Says its malfunctioned and try again.

Im guessing the flash drive is boned, which means all my dockers and shit are gone. Along with my drive settings. I most likely will need new hardware now as well. :tear: Dont know how Im going to swing this to the other half. :hs:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
So I think Im screwed.

So from the beginning, I was having an issue with the mobo seeing a flash drive to boot UNRAID from. I got it running and it was fine, but always had to select it from a boot list, even though I set it to first priority in the BIOS to boot from. But whatever.

Fast forward to today. I power down the system in order to remove the bluray drive from it since I decided to not use a docker for that, and that would free up a sata port for another drive. I also threw in one of my 3TB drive to add to the array.

Put everything back together. Turn it on, wont recognize the flash. BIOS wont even see it. Try all of my USB ports, nothing. I noticed that the keyboard was also not working in a couple. I go to my windows PC, and plug the flash drive in, windows wont recognize it. It will recognize the first flash drive I planned to use UNRAID for, but not the one I have been using. Neither will my laptop. Says its malfunctioned and try again.

Im guessing the flash drive is boned, which means all my dockers and shit are gone. Along with my drive settings. I most likely will need new hardware now as well. :tear: Dont know how Im going to swing this to the other half. :hs:

It won't recognize the partition on it or it won't recognize that you've put a USB stick in? If you used an image creation program it is probably partitioned in Linux or BSD or whatever OS that isn't windows is on it and it won't be recognized in a way you can read it. Try to boot from it on your PC and see if it works.

In terms of the pihole if your wive VPNs in she won't notice so long as it doesn't bother the VPN. When you connect via VPN you use their DNS servers after you connect.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Wont you just need a new flash drive?

Did you create a backup of the configuration after you finished?

Why would you need new hard drives?

I tried a different flash drive as well. It also didn’t want to be recognized in bios. Thinking about it I might have one more chance. Both drives I used were usb 3.0. The ports on this mobo are 2.0. If I can find a 2.0 drive I might just get away with a fresh install.

I won’t need new drives. If this doesn’t work I would need a new mobo at least. And if I’m doing that might as well get a new processor. Lol.

I didn’t back up the flash drive since I was still tweaking and adding new dickers and such. I thought a new flash drive would last longer than 2 weeks. I will have to find out which 8TB drive is the partition and which one is the data drive.

It won't recognize the partition on it or it won't recognize that you've put a USB stick in? If you used an image creation program it is probably partitioned in Linux or BSD or whatever OS that isn't windows is on it and it won't be recognized in a way you can read it. Try to boot from it on your PC and see if it works.

In terms of the pihole if your wive VPNs in she won't notice so long as it doesn't bother the VPN. When you connect via VPN you use their DNS servers after you connect.

Won’t recognize the partition. Windows is throwing a malfunction error with the flash drive. I set up unraid on another flash drive and windows will recognize that one.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I tried a different flash drive as well. It also didn’t want to be recognized in bios. Thinking about it I might have one more chance. Both drives I used were usb 3.0. The ports on this mobo are 2.0. If I can find a 2.0 drive I might just get away with a fresh install.

I won’t need new drives. If this doesn’t work I would need a new mobo at least. And if I’m doing that might as well get a new processor. Lol.

I didn’t back up the flash drive since I was still tweaking and adding new dickers and such. I thought a new flash drive would last longer than 2 weeks. I will have to find out which 8TB drive is the partition and which one is the data drive.

Won’t recognize the partition. Windows is throwing a malfunction error with the flash drive. I set up unraid on another flash drive and windows will recognize that one.

What is the OS for the flash drive? You may want to get a Knoppix ISO or similar and try to see if you can access it that way or repair the FS.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Get a linux live Cd, ubuntu, knoppix, mint. Boot from the linux cd and see if it can see the partition. Windows sucks for stuff like that.

Also you may want to look into flashing the bios if its due for an update.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
What is the OS for the flash drive? You may want to get a Knoppix ISO or similar and try to see if you can access it that way or repair the FS.

UNRAID is the OS. They make a Windows and Mac installer on the limetech site. I went and got a USB 2.0 flash drive and worked right out of the gate. So good news, shouldnt have to spend more money. For now. Bad news, have to reinstall and reconfigure everything. Again.

Get a linux live Cd, ubuntu, knoppix, mint. Boot from the linux cd and see if it can see the partition. Windows sucks for stuff like that.

Also you may want to look into flashing the bios if its due for an update.

I looked for a BIOS update, and I dont see the option anywhere. The mobo is some no name brand Ive never heard of. Fucking Gateway. :rofl:

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
UNRaid seems to be based on Linux. Using a knoppix CD/DVD to run an FSCK on the FS is probably the way to go. You may have to try and re-install the bootloader on it too.

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

Scroll down and read the bottom. If you can get into Knoppix or another Linux boot OS and save those files chances are you can make a new boot USB Stick and copy them over. According to the doc /config/super.dat is the file you absolutely need and /config/disk.cfg is nice to have if you're doing caching or similar.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Not bad info. Ill dive into it a bit later. Got the server back up, Luckily I saved all my docker settings to my cache and data drives, so I just have to point them there and so far everything is coming back up. Once all that done, Ill be backing up my flash drive. :rofl:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So......Apparently there is a community application that will allow you to backup appdata, VM data, and the flash drive data on a schedule if you prefer. I will be setting that up and then keeping my flash drive data on another PC just in case of this.

Now for VMs, does anyone know where I can get myself an OSX install other than having a mac? LOL. I wouldnt mind trying a mac VM just to see what its all about.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My younger brother has a wall of DVD's and Blu-Rays, ideally I would like to have a media server with Plex or the like on it that can be viewed by him, my parents upstairs, or me at my house.

It is possible to access it from my house if it's at my parents house correct?

The biggest thing Im guessing is it would need a lot of storage for the sheer amount of movies he has...

Basically would like an extra version of Netflix. :rofl:

That all depends. Your storage requirements depend on what you want.

If you want bit for bit copies of your physical media, then expect to spend about 24GB per movie, and about 8GB per 1 hour TV episodes.

If you don't mind losing some quality, you can use a program like Handbrake to compress them and take up roughly 1/3rd that space. I usually aimed for file sizes that were 25% to 33% of the original.

Plex is free, and can run on just about any OS out there. If you want to experiment you could literally just dump the movies into a hard drive, and install Plex onto your regular windows Desktop as long as you are willing to let it run 24/7. As long as your PC has a decent processor you can try Plex out to get a feel for it.

If you decide you want a dedicated machine to host it, you can get away with an i5, or even an i3.
An i5-8600k can easily do what you need, and would handle some 4k.
An i3-8350k could do the job, though 4k would be out of reach.

You don't need a ton of RAM for Plex, though it helps with large media libraries. However, if you are just testing the waters, your library is guaranteed to be small.

CPU and good wired network is all thats needed to host the Plex server.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So......Apparently there is a community application that will allow you to backup appdata, VM data, and the flash drive data on a schedule if you prefer. I will be setting that up and then keeping my flash drive data on another PC just in case of this.

Now for VMs, does anyone know where I can get myself an OSX install other than having a mac? LOL. I wouldnt mind trying a mac VM just to see what its all about.

I can get you any flavor you want. I have them all because they are needed for work. If not, most of the VM guides out there will tell you where to get downloaded copies.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It is. I bit the bullet and got an amazon shop card w/6 months interest free.

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI X470GPLUS mobo
Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 ram

Now to read up if I need to do anything specific for unraid. I also read the Hyper212 cooler I have might not work with the am4 socket. So Ill probably end up using the stock wraith stealth cooler.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info