7.3 Godzilla grows up, godzilla mega thread, godzilla performance development thread TRUCK ENGINE GOES BRRRRRRRRR

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I don't get why everyone's excited. This thing's going in F450+ trucks. It's not like it's going into anything that will let massive amounts of them out into the wild unless Ford makes a crate engine of it. You'll pay up the ass for one from a wrecked truck and that crate isn't gonna be cheap either. It'll be kind of like the Caddy V10s were in hot rodding days; semi exotic and something people gawk at when at the shows or maybe the track.

It's an option in any super duty and medium duty truck (pretty sure they said 250 to the 550?). Spend $2300 on a stronger gasser compared to the 6.2 or spend $10k on a diesel and all of its headaches. Municipalities are going to eat these up as well as dads pulling plywood from Home Depot. I'll be one of them once I can make it work.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
There is truth to that, it does indicate how shitty the emissions stuff has made the diesel trucks now. The other question in my mind is can they make the CAFE work on it.

Also, if you have someone looking for a badass E-line/Transit van I think these would make it the clear cut king.

This may also mark Ford's re-emergence into the LPG powered business. If I was them I'd make conversions of this in a heart beat. I bet that a lot of LPG Delivery trucks would use these as well as a lot of CNG vehicles.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Yeah, the big push behind the development of this engine was to finally put the old V10 down in medium duty, fleet, and RV’s. The 250/350’s get a slightly higher HP over the rest.

I think there will be an initial push to throw some aftermarket at these, but it’ll be years before they’ll be cheap and plentiful enough to really do much with. I’m curious what the stock engine will take on boost because of the forged bottom end.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Didn't even think about RVs. They'll probably sell a lot there. I bet boats will be popular too.

Thinking about this a bit more, it is interesting to realize that we're basically watching the re-emergence of what would likely amount to a big block by Ford. Wonder if the 8100 will make a come back in the GM camp. Kind of doubt it but you never know.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
And reading now, it's only slightly bigger, bore spacing wise, than the LS/LT and even the old SBF. Deck height seems to be the increase, and is causing some of the height issues, but I'm sure a low rise intake and aftermarket oil pan will solve that issue. But most who have experience with it, say it's really not much bigger than a SBC or SBF despite the high displacement. I've read that there's enough meat to go .030 over, but I'm sure people could bore and stroke it over 500 pretty easy.

In the video quoted, it even explains how the physical dimensions are not that far off an LS, and it it's a pretty neat fit. Plus a lot of guys are putting iron block LS' in the fox body's anyways, so this isn't all that crazy...4 bolt mains with cross bolts, fully skirted block. and a forged steel crank :dunno:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
*edit* Damn it, i had typed this out but didn't hit post rely...

Ya, lets hope it's less 335 series and more like the 385 series.

It seems the Godzilla engine is more in line with a medium block. With its bore spacing, bore size, and so on. But in a time of small cubes, I guess it is the new era "big block". It will be interesting to see what the max size this engine block can handle.

*new* Seems you figured out max stroke and bore. I haven't even watched the video with sound yet. So 500" with similar physical size to the LS? Ya, I have a feeling this engine is going to get a very close look at by the aftermarket. It is interesting about the valve springs. But maybe longer stem valves can increase the spring height, new rockers to correct the geometry, and so on. Not a cheap proposition. Maybe aftermarket heads will offer a different spring package too.

I can't see why anyone would not be excited about a new engine that has performance potential? Since the engine is already in a Foxbody, lead by a Ford employee that is a long time drag racer, I think Ford has plans for this engine beyond the RV crowd.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I can't see why anyone would not be excited about a new engine that has performance potential? Since the engine is already in a Foxbody, lead by a Ford employee that is a long time drag racer, I think Ford has plans for this engine beyond the RV crowd.

Because old man. Coyotes are the future and nothing else can ever be done to dethrone the Coyote, even Ford themselves.

Just like the retards on FordRaptorForum. "Blahblah the 3.5 ecoboost is a far superior engine than that shit 6.2 and Ford isn't investing any more money into V8 platforms. But if the Ecoshit ever blows, I'll just LS swap my Raptor because the Egogarbage is too much of a headache. But it's clearly the superior motor." That's a serious comment someone had the other day.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Because old man. Coyotes are the future and nothing else can ever be done to dethrone the Coyote, even Ford themselves.

Just like the retards on FordRaptorForum. "Blahblah the 3.5 ecoboost is a far superior engine than that shit 6.2 and Ford isn't investing any more money into V8 platforms. But if the Ecoshit ever blows, I'll just LS swap my Raptor because the Egogarbage is too much of a headache. But it's clearly the superior motor." That's a serious comment someone had the other day.

Bullshit wouldnt you rather swap it with this magical 7.3? :dunno:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
giphy.gif

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
That crank center line appears to be super low on the 7.3. Will be curious to see how the powertrains line up. Those ports are super straight too and very large. If the valvetrain on these holds up there should be a fuck ton of hp here. I mean hell they're already at 580ish by the dyno chart with that minor work much less anything purpose built. I wouldn't be surprised if you see these making 100hp/l by years end. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The block having the cylinders walls saw cut to separate the cylinders will be interesting to see if the bores move much in power adder, high hp builds. Will they distort and move?

Brian is also running Ultra Street with this motor. That is a 3100-3200 pound car that runs 4.70 in the 1/8" So, about 1,800 hp motor. He said he thinks the stock block will be fine. So I guess we will see what happens.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I'm not sure why anyone would choose this setup over the tried and true Coyote outside of trying something unique or new (with Ford's latest engine). The aftermarket is huge for the Coyote, has a plethora of tuning support, and you can make big horsepower very easily with boost. I'm just not seeing the allure here.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
You can tell the car scene is officially dead, gone, and pure shit when people say "just do what's already done" versus trying new shit.

Every LQ turbo build should've just been an LS. Taking truck engines and putting them in place of a tried and true LS? Fucking retards.

inb4LS/LQsharesameplatformandCoyote/7.3differentplatforms

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I'm not sure why anyone would choose this setup over the tried and true Coyote outside of trying something unique or new (with Ford's latest engine). The aftermarket is huge for the Coyote, has a plethora of tuning support, and you can make big horsepower very easily with boost. I'm just not seeing the allure here.

You have to remember something, a lot of engine swaps are used in racing. The coyote has a couple of big disadvantages. One being you can't repair most things on them between rounds. Push a head gasket and turn it around in 45 minutes? No way. Not with even a simplified locked out cam set up.

The 7.3L has a lot of old school engine building tricks already applied to it from the factory. Canted valve heads, swirl combustion chambers, 320 cfm intake flow stock (thats a big number), dry intake manifold (not uncommon anymore), and so on. This motor is easy to tear down and reassemble as any old school SBF. Maybe easier with the intake being flat, o-rings instead of gaskets, and no sealant needed at the water crossover/ports, or sealant at the front and back of the intake. Plus a stout block and rotating assembly that negates buying an expensive aftermarket block or crank. The Ford engineers got to hot rod a stock motor under the guise of reliability. I think the aftermarket for this motor will come along WAY quicker than it did for the coyote too.

This might not be the best swap for everyone with a street car. But I have a feeling it will be very popular for big hp builds as well as drag racing applications.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

Compactness would be a big one. This will fit early Mustangs as mentioned whereas a Coyote would be a real headache.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Compactness would be a big one. This will fit early Mustangs as mentioned whereas a Coyote would be a real headache.

If you want to keep the chassis 100% stock, but most guys I see doing nice swaps are cutting up the shock towers and putting in an IFS setup or the bigger money builds are swapping the chassis (IE Schwartz or Roadster Shop).

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You have to remember something, a lot of engine swaps are used in racing. The coyote has a couple of big disadvantages. One being you can't repair most things on them between rounds. Push a head gasket and turn it around in 45 minutes? No way. Not with even a simplified locked out cam set up.

The 7.3L has a lot of old school engine building tricks already applied to it from the factory. Canted valve heads, swirl combustion chambers, 320 cfm intake flow stock (thats a big number), dry intake manifold (not uncommon anymore), and so on. This motor is easy to tear down and reassemble as any old school SBF. Maybe easier with the intake being flat, o-rings instead of gaskets, and no sealant needed at the water crossover/ports, or sealant at the front and back of the intake. Plus a stout block and rotating assembly that negates buying an expensive aftermarket block or crank. The Ford engineers got to hot rod a stock motor under the guise of reliability. I think the aftermarket for this motor will come along WAY quicker than it did for the coyote too.

This might not be the best swap for everyone with a street car. But I have a feeling it will be very popular for big hp builds as well as drag racing applications.

Fair enough, but the majority of the enthusiast community isn't racing competitively. Most enthusiasts would call AAA or tow their vehicle home if they pushed a head gasket at the track during test and tune.

Curious, is the Godzilla heavier than the Coyote?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
If you want to keep the chassis 100% stock, but most guys I see doing nice swaps are cutting up the shock towers and putting in an IFS setup or the bigger money builds are swapping chassis (IE Schwartz or Roadster Shop).

True but it also has to do with other cars (think like Japanese Car swaps.) Lets not forget people swap LSes into everything and although Coyotes are out there it's not near as common.

That says nothing of the idea that there's costs associated with a Coyote that would likely not be associated with this engine. You have way less cash into the valve train for instance although that's less of an issue typically with boost. If it's durable you slap a turbo on, slap in a cam/valvesprings (although if I was running E85 I'd be inclined not to bother largely) and then hang a turbo or two off of it and let it eat. I think that the con rods will be the real question on the bottom end, much like they are with the Coyotes. If they can produce more power on stock rods I think that this engine will see preference in boosted and nitrous fed swaps. The Coyote has the advantage its in Mustangs stock.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I assume this is all old news?

Haven't seen that one yet. Not altogether surprised. Wait till they get an intake with runners that aren't 20 feet long. Bet 700's not too far off. Lightly ported heads were supposedly in the 320(I think it was 320) ish range which means you could probably see 700hp from them if one had their ducks in a row. That says nothing of the CNC programs getting more mature as time goes by either.

I never looked for the static compression ratio of this thing. Gotta be pretty boost friendly being a medium duty truck engine?

ED:the tubes say 10-10.5:1. I'd think you're into E85 territory. Impressed for a MD/HD engine as well.

Also it appears that GM still produces (quietly) some derivatives of the BBC still. There's an 8L that seems to be common in busses.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info