7.3 Godzilla grows up, godzilla mega thread, godzilla performance development thread TRUCK ENGINE GOES BRRRRRRRRR

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I just watched the video about the oil pump and valve train. They said that the variable volume oil pump was key to fuel efficiency. Less oil flow when the large volume wasn't needed meant less friction and pumping loss. Which beat out dropping cylinders or direct injection. That is crazy to think about how much that pump design saves.

Cam lift, .540" on the intake and .600" on the exhaust. That is a lot of lift for a stock application. It makes you wonder what the duration is? But that also answers why the tall valve springs. Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto With that lift and to make sure the valve springs don't get fatigued easily. I am sure in a high performance application a shorter valve stem and spring package might work. That should be interesting to see what happens. Especially if these motors can rev a lot of rpm.

Reactions: RICH17

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The VV oil pump is interesting. I mean the 700R4 comes with one and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of PS pumps are VV as well. Wondering why it took them this long to put one in as an oil pump if it's worth that much fuel efficiency. That said, oil pump selection is worth not insignificant power based on dyno testing that's been done before.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RICH17

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The VV oil pump is interesting. I mean the 700R4 comes with one and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of PS pumps are VV as well. Wondering why it took them this long to put one in as an oil pump if it's worth that much fuel efficiency. That said, oil pump selection is worth not insignificant power based on dyno testing that's been done before.

I would think it would be a lot more testing to see the savings with the oil pump versus dropping a cylinder with the ECU. But Ford must have thought it was significant savings in doing it this way. Maybe they just didn't want to go with dropping cylinders so they aren't called out of copying another company? But maybe long term engine testing showed enough savings at low rpm to go with that option. Or maybe we are being sold Snake Oil? I kind of find it hard to believe there is significant savings there.

What oil do these engines use in the trucks? Is it a heavier weight or a lightweight that is common in newer vehicles? Maybe the weight they used is part of the reason the variable pump saves a noticeable amount?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I would think it would be a lot more testing to see the savings with the oil pump versus dropping a cylinder with the ECU. But Ford must have thought it was significant savings in doing it this way. Maybe they just didn't want to go with dropping cylinders so they aren't called out of copying another company? But maybe long term engine testing showed enough savings at low rpm to go with that option. Or maybe we are being sold Snake Oil? I kind of find it hard to believe there is significant savings there.

What oil do these engines use in the trucks? Is it a heavier weight or a lightweight that is common in newer vehicles? Maybe the weight they used is part of the reason the variable pump saves a noticeable amount?

It's likely that all the "easy" stuff has largely been done. It could also be that tech engineered out some shortcomnigs that they previously couldn't.

In terms of determination of it that's not altogether hard with a prototype pump or two. You turn the pump, establish volume with a flow meter so you can tune the flow rate (in the trans world that'd be a spring swap) and then after that you'd measure the HP input at specific RPMs to pump that volume.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
If that is true, $8,800 for a fully dressed motor isn't bad at all. If FRPP can offer a motor, ECU, and wiring for around $10K it should be a pretty popular swap.

Maybe I need to start pulling the 5.8L out of my Lightning and getting ready for a 7.3L swap? Hmmm

Just throw some fuel in it and an S400. You'll get better results. In an era of LSX engines the 351Ws are way way under rated in terms of bottom end durability.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
7.3 RV.

i haven't looked too hard but first one i've seen.

1584969629770.png

Will your next motorhome have a 2021 chassis?
OURS DOES!
Why does this matter?
THE NEW 2021 FORD CHASSIS FEATURES:

• New 7.3L (445 cid) Gas V8 "Godzilla" Engine (far better than V10)
  • (350 HP/466 ft./lbs. torque) - both at 3,900 RPM
  • Six Speed Transmission
  • Traction Control, 240 Amp Alternator & MUCH MORE!
  • In-Dash Touchscreen Entertainment, Auto Headlights & MUCH MORE!
SMOOTH RIDE AND MORE SAFETY FEATURES:
1) All New 7.3L (445 CID) Gasoline V8 "Godzilla" Engine

• New Powertrain Features
  • 7.36L (445 CID) V8 Engine Replaces the Aged 6.8L V10
  • Maximum Torque at Lower RPM Bandwidth
  • Six Speed Automatic Transmission
  • Two Unique Calibrations for the E-Series
2) E-Series HP & Torque Advantages

• 350 HP @ 3900 RPM
  • 468 Ft./Lbs. Torque @ 3900 RPM
  • 15% More Horsepower
  • 11% More Torque
  • 30% Quieter Than Previous Model

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
A motor equipped with electronics, ignition, fueling, and a warranty, for $8,100 suggested retail is not bad at all. Compare that to the 460ho Gen3 Coyote motor at $9,500. I'm sure you will be able to buy it from retailers for less than that $8,100.

Add an intake manifold, cam, and tuning to see what it can make. Add them 400 cfm CNC heads and see what it can do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info