Powerball and Mega Millions to leave IL by end of the month

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
No lottery to win because of no budget means we won't be able to easily move out of this bullshit state.
No budget means no IDOT contractors will be paid after June 30th making it even more difficult to move out of this state due to our crumbling infrastructure.

I'm noticing a trend here.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I find it kind of interesting that no one noticed the democrats pushing through the 15 an hour minimum wage.
Stay with me here on the depth of this evil.
Okay, so most of us were around for the last income tax hike that was supposed to balance the budget and fix everything, and then we sat back and watch the IL government immediately forget what the money was for and just start spending as fast or faster than it came in. WHY?
Well usually when we have a "temporary" tax hike the dems/liberals "forget" to repeal it it, wait for us to forget it is supposed to expire, and then make it permanent.
Well this last tax hike had an expiration date on it, so it had to be addressed. The populace figured out that the tax hike fixed NOTHING so it expired and we got money back.
SO the next attempted trick was the pensions. "Well there was all this money that we had access to that belong to other people, so we spent it, but now they want it.. so screw them" So there was this awesome campaign to make these "greedy" people that had paid into their pensions for years, state employs that DO NOT have a 401k option, to seem like they were stealing greedy bastards and NOT the state employee retirees that they were. But OOPS, seems our state constitution says that it is LAW that those people have to be paid what was promised, they held up their end afterall. well shucks, THAT really pissed of the IL government.
and then the entire Rauner guy trying to fix things and getting in the way of stealing, That bad bad man.
So what do you do when the populace knows that taxes with the dems in office wont work but you still want to tax them anyway (even though they will oppose every tax bill)?
Well.. you raise the minimum wage.

Over half of the state is on some sort of assistance.
How do you get more money out of the people that are working and running businesses?
In the short term the raise of the minimum wage drives up taxes collected from businesses as they have to pay out way more in wages, in the long term it drives up the price of everything so you collect more sales taxes (I am aware I am over simplifying everything here, feel free to add commentary) . But with typical liberal short sightedness many companies will simply pick up their toys and move across the borders. And then the populace that can will follow them.
Then you have a Detroit happening all over.

Now I do not believe that Chicago with its size, stature, population, being a travel hub, etc etc will suffer the same fate as Detroit, but you can see where it will be a blow to the state.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
It really does blow my mind how many people think of Rauner in a bad light for trying to find real tax reform and reduce the taxes for IL's residents and businesses.

Furthermore, simply increasing the min wage will also reduce the total number of available jobs, when IL already has one of the worst, if not the single worst, employment rate of poor people. So I hope all the poor people thinking they're just going to get paid $15/hr now realize what is coming for them around the bend once this BS gets passed.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Now I do not believe that Chicago with its size, stature, population, being a travel hub, etc etc will suffer the same fate as Detroit, but you can see where it will be a blow to the state.

Detroit was quite a place with quite a stature before the riots. I don't think a lot of people are aware of this.

It's scary what a catalyst can do and how quickly it can turn all that around... Then pile on decades of bad politics at all levels, and that's how Detroit got to where it is.

The only difference is Chicago hasn't had a catalyst. Will it? Unlikely I think, especially in today's day and age, but this whole "it can't happen to us" seems to be an ideal the Dems hold dear.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
"I believe..."

"I believe..."

"I believe..."

Typical politicians. If you don't fucking know, say no. I you aren't 100% sure to say yes, say "I will contact the proper avenues or people to get an answer." Worthless. Fucking worthless.

:bowrofl: "Which governer?" "I can give you the history on some other governers and we don't want to go there." Fucking. Savage.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I need to stop watching Illinois Policy videos on Youtube. Starting to piss me off even more.

These fucking people are delusional. Here's another one about the property tax freeze (meaning taxes will stop RISING but stay where they are [which means the government STILL gets their tax money, it just doesn't increase for two years]). Some rep complaining that she can't take more of our money so it will cost her school district $8 million over two years (another leftist play: BUT THE CHILRUNN!!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okulfhbxZtE

What Would a Property-Tax Freeze Mean for Illinois? | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life May 2017

On the other hand, a property-tax freeze is not only unpopular with local governments, it’s also a risk. As the Better Government Assocation’s Tim Jones notes, a lot of municipalities have their own problems with pensions, in addition to all the other things that are funded with property-tax money. A property-tax freeze would tie their hands, requiring them to go to voters with referendums to increase taxes.

Oh wow, wait a minute. You mean local governments requiring the approval, through referendum, OF THE PEOPLE that they serve to take more of THE PEOPLE'S money? YOU MEAN TAXATION WITH REPRESENTATION? HOLY FUCK AM I IN A FANTASY DREAM WORLD?!

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My local district is trying to pass a referendum to raise property taxes. People are hard at work marketing that if we don't pass the referendum our housing values will all be plummeting.

5be05e40ce9242d6e8eeb6d60313313e.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I think they need to address the specific pensions with issues. The IMRF pension system is something like 90% funded, but doesn't use state dollars and is funded by the employers (cities/villages/etc)

An 87 percent funding ratio still means a $4 billion shortfall

In 2000, IMRF actually had a funding surplus. The 2001 market downturn changed that, turning IMRF’s surplus into a shortfall. The 2008 recession made things worse, and the fund’s shortfall had grown to $4.8 billion by 2014.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/5-things-to-know-about-illinois-unsustainable-municipal-pension-fund/

It's better, but it's not a success story.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
The article is a little misleading I feel. IMRF has restructured in 2010 and they are doing it again with longer years of service before retirement and smaller returns. Granted this is for new employees into the system but it is a start. Also IMRF contributers cannot leave their job receive payout of their pension and work another IMRF job. Unlike normal police and fire pensions, where a cop can work 20yrs and retire grab another cop job and get paid while receiving his pension payout.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info