Pickup bed "build out" of my long bed GMC sierra

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I need to build something kinda like this in my work van, the space between the wheel wells is like 47" or something stupid, just short enough to not be able to lay down full sheets of plywood or drywall, need to build a platform above them so I can grab full size sheets and lay them down.

Looking at some of these things would be sweet to instead of having to pitch a tent and all that just crash inside the van like they did in the 70's, minus the shag carpeting everywhere. HAHA

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
some of these builds are so INSANELY clean & perfect and well thought out, it's just amazing how much planning had to go into some of these.

Capture Colorado 01 TRD Taco - GOAE build - Page 4 - Expedition Portal

wm-LQ-0128.jpg

85a2a55d790458157a01da364b710a64.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Is tgere any sort of covers for them to shield accidental touching of the positive side?

p404-110-1.JPG

yeah these will cover the entire stud on either side, the metal collar isn't charged.

just have to do a 1 1/4" hole for the thing to pass through.

this entices me more than running a grommet with a cable through it. seems sturdier.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:werd: my thought with it too, was if for whatever reason my bed has to be pulled in the future, i don't have to pull the wire out, but rather just disconnect it.

drilling/cutting a hole lik that in my bed is a lil unnnerving but at the same time plenty of bros cut hole for sweet STACKS in the same bed so i think my 1" hole will be just fine.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
so right now im thinking power wire directly off of the auxiliary isolated battery, with a circuit breaker directly off the battery like dis.

51x-lREahiL.jpg

back to the bed, to that power post thing i posted, into the bed, to a 3rd deep cycle battery inside the bed. to a small 12v fuse block like this:

71VC1gVEo6L._SL1500_.jpg

81ZOFkL9ONL._SL1500_.jpg

wiring something like this to control lighting, fridge, cigarette lighter, auxiliary power etc in the bed. mounted in the toolbox portion of the cap so it's accessible from outside the truck & lockable.

6179-h1yGKL._SL1075_.jpg

allowing it to be expandable for future expansion or needs. because it would be sweet to be able to add a solar panel to the roof of my cap to keep auxiliary batteries always charged and ensure fridge is always cold.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd do 8 gauge to be safe.

But yes, it appears 10 gauge @ 20' is good for 50A.

my pickle is, the 10 gauge is already there. it's in between cab and bed. so without pulling new wire, and getting new isolator.. i already have sufficient wiring basically. as long as i dont go nuts with stuff in the bed.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
alright so figured out a halfway game plan tonight.

im not going to add a 3rd battery just yet. im going to see how the 2nd isolated battery does by itself.

messing around today with my truck, i noticed how the shop that put my cap on ran the wires for my 3rd brake light and lights for the cap... no drilling, no mess, no fuss.

cHT28Wx.jpg

so it got me thinking, that there has to be a way to do it without drilling into my bed, or the fiberglass of my truck.

i found a hole in the bed, near where i want all this to happen and stuck a paper towel through just as a test to see if i could see it from under the truck.

0ZHPrMZ.jpg

waaaaallaaaaaaa

yesssss. i can run the 5th wheel wiring provision directly up the bed, into the bed through said hole.

5th wheel wiring:

0ymLr1l.jpg

so basically im going to drill into the bottom of the drivers side tool box, with a grommet to pass wires directly through.

a2ezgop.jpg

im going to make a panel to block off that area, to hide the wiring, and house the circuit breaker and switch panel.

also going ot put switches for things inside of the cap, on the inside of the toolbox. which will mean i have to cut the toolbox sheet metal but im way more comfortable doing that than the bed of my truck or the fiberglass of the cap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info