Oil cooler for turbo cars

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Okay.. so now we're arguing that only part of the turbo is cooled by the oil???

Let's recap. We've established that:

- Air cools the exhaust turbine of the turbo while the engine is running
- some of the heat from the turbine wheel is transferred to the center housing of the turbo
- Oil cools the bearings and the center housing of the turbo

But you're still saying that the turbo isn't cooled by the oil?
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
all your turbo cooling needs aside, if your lifters are clattering you have another issue, if your oil pressure is getting so low that they clatter you have a oil pressure issue, I dont remember ever seeing less than 40psi on my t67 3800, I ran the ls7 lifters with custom pushrods and a st5 cam I had no issues with lifter clatter at idle my engine did run cool i had an hd electric water pump and the fan switch with a 160 t stat with small bypass holes drilled in it, but on a hard summer wot run i could smell my carpet getting close to the melting point due to exhaust heat and i never ran an oil cooler or even cared to see how hot it was

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
You're resources all reference the bearing lubrication.

There are no studies for what I'm asking because the oil cools the turbo an immeasurable amount.

The bearing is part of the turbo therefore it shockingly cools the turbo :eek3:.

The point here is that the turbo heats the oil. To what extent I have no idea and that was part of the point of this thread.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The engine is also part of the car, therefore it sucks air from the trunk.

I can make statements that have no impact too.

What I'm saying is really not a stretch at all. The center section is the main part of the turbo.
The shaft runs through it and the compressor wheel and turbine wheel are bolted onto it.
There is absolutely heat being transferred along that shaft.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Does oil play a part in cooling the turbo? Yes.

Does it do a significant amount of cooling the turbo itself? No.

Does it cool the bearings? Yes.

Does it heat up the oil so much that normal driving and traffic warrants an external oil cooler? No.

Should your coolant keep the oil temperature within normal operating temps in normal driving conditions? Yes.

Is it unnecessary to run an external oil cooler? No, but if it's not done properly you will regret putting it in for no reason.

With that said, installing the cooler the way you want with barb fittings and hose clamps is insanely unreliable. If that's the way you're going to do it, just don't do it.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I'm sure even with a water-cooled turbo the turbine is doing most of the cooling too relative to the amount of heat a turbo sees.

My point is that the heat going into the oil directly from the turbo has gotta be a factor in the oil temperature. I don't know how much of a factor it is though so I'm not going to get hung up on that. It doesn't sound like there's much data out there for that.
Like mentioned before though it's also heating everything indirectly too.

I know my cooling situation needs addressing, and maybe there's other issues with my oil pressure or the gauge I'm using. If a cooler can help keep things healthy though then to me it would make sense.

Rest assured that if I do go through with this it won't be with barb fittings. I'm going to start with just a gauge for now though.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Why would the turbine cool the turbo?

Clearly it's a factor when the turbo once the turbo isn't under load and the exhaust temps come down. See below quote.
When a turbo timer is going, most of your cooling is actually coming from the cooler exhaust flow. Not oil cooling

This isn't even the main point I'm trying to make though. It seems like you just want to argue now. (directed at GTPpower)

Last edited:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
This post reminds me of that one time I tried to have a discussion about which transmission I should put in my Camaro...

There's tried and true ways people have successfully made a fast 3800 car that WORKS, and people like you always want to do some fuckin' weird shit. So you dump on us for telling you about the shit that works and how your weird shit probably isn't going to work. If you know we're going to say it, don't ask.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
QUOTE=10sec;3868809]There's tried and true ways people have successfully made a fast 3800 car that WORKS, and people like you always want to do some fuckin' weird shit. So you dump on us for telling you about the shit that works and how your weird shit probably isn't going to work. If you know we're going to say it, don't ask.[/QUOTE]

And those people all have the cookie cutter w body shit and never do anything different or cool with it. The same people that haven't solved the shit 4t65 issue and just keep sending it with junkyard shortblocks and never want to bring anything new to the table. Hey, you know, stock icm and coils work fine, why bother stacking icms? I run into this same shit attitude in the 3d printing groups im in. Everybody who drives a 3800 car thinks they know everything about everything, lol, 4t65's don't need no trans cooler. Just the blind leading the blind, the few with real knowledge that understand that different platforms and custom setups will have unique problems to solve are gone.

I digress. We're talking about oil coolers. Something that came factory on many 3800s unless it was a wbody. This isn't some weird fucking shit, it's literally a factory option.

For the record, my weird shit works just fine. Both my twincharged Bonneville and twin turbo 3800 k2500 have full sized oil coolers. I'm using OEM adapters that came from the factory, which only divert follow to the cooler above a set temperature. But I guess that doesn't matter because neither of them have the 4t6fail behind them. It's not exactly rocket science to put any other trans behind a 3800.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info