Officially Official - 2018 600hp BMW M5

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i expect that from porsche hypercars, not the next gen m5 though.

I mean it's tech they have in the I8 and I don't consider the I8 a hypercar. It's also in the Volvo XC90/ S90. A couple small motors improve efficiency and provides off the line acceleration bumps that would otherwise require a substantial increase in engine power.

I get it though. My expectations were too high. Great car. Much fast.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I mean it's tech they have in the I8 and I don't consider the I8 a hypercar. It's also in the Volvo XC90/ S90. A couple small motors improve efficiency and provides off the line acceleration bumps that would otherwise require a substantial increase in engine power.

I get it though. My expectations were too high. Great car. Much fast.

do they? i thought the i8 worked like the i3, and i thought both used the engine as a last resort, not for full power. iirc the plans were for the i8 to go full EV only as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You got me on everything but the last one. Automatic transmissions are lightning quick now and the ZF 8 speeds BMW use are top notch. Maybe the demographic that's driving these cars to Chipotle won't care about that. The market is shifting towards turbo cars as well. You know what I think I was hoping to see? Some sort of I8 type setup where you have a couple small electric motors to boost off the line power and take advantage of that switch to all wheel drive.

I guess my expectations were just unreasonable.

I was just guessing on the AWD. Maybe they want it to be an all weather market car? Not sure why they went that way. The electric motors on the front wheels would be cool. I am sure cost is the biggest reason as to why those are not part of the car. Maybe weight as well?

Sadly I think car manufacturers are getting away from the manual trans. Even Porsche has their top of the line models with out the option of a manual trans. It seems they heard customers and some of their new models have a manual trans option. But in a 5 series market, I am sure the demand for a pure sports car is taking a back seat to a touring car. I can't see why a manual trans is not an option in sportier cars. It has to be due to cost. Or more of the globe is starting to be like the USA where manuals seem to be a dying breed?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
well it used to be the auto cost more right? probably from economies of scale and other things that's simply no longer the cost. on top of that, the auto and paddles can shift faster than us anyway. so it's just for funsies, and it seems the growing wealthier or younger crowd may not be nearly as into them as well.

i'm pretty happy with my manual, i have a tune mode with auto blip but i never put it on. i'm 100% sure it would make me faster and smoother on track, although it's just way more fun for me to do it myself now that i'm like 7/10 competency at it. seems like the DIY manual funsies market is shrinking though.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
do they? i thought the i8 worked like the i3, and i thought both used the engine as a last resort, not for full power. iirc the plans were for the i8 to go full EV only as well.

No, the two cars are very different. The i3 is an electric car with what's basically a backup generator. The i8 is a hybrid that really isn't ever intended to be run on all electric (except for short commutes) and won't give you full performance in electric only mode. In the i8 the electric motors give you that needed off the line acceleration and combine with the the turbocharged 3 cylinder motor to provide peak power output. Here's an explanation:

https://youtu.be/gy6ui8rGi-Q?t=40s

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
lol. You don't want one of those turds anyhow. Awesome cars under warranty but a quick trip to bankruptcy once they're out.

You got me on everything but the last one. Automatic transmissions are lightning quick now and the ZF 8 speeds BMW use are top notch. Maybe the demographic that's driving these cars to Chipotle won't care about that. The market is shifting towards turbo cars as well. You know what I think I was hoping to see? Some sort of I8 type setup where you have a couple small electric motors to boost off the line power and take advantage of that switch to all wheel drive.

I guess my expectations were just unreasonable.

legit first time I read this, i thought you meant some sort of inline 8 engine. and i was like YEAH FUCK YEAH TORQUE THAT'D BE WEIRD BUT FUCK YEAH

and then i realized you were talking about this abortion

bmw-i8-2017-10.jpg

I remember when you were cool.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
WTF happened in this thread? People were not impressed by a 3.2 0-60 second family sedan with all the luxury you could ever want.

You guys are out of your friggin minds. BTW, it gets good gas mileage as well, reported at 27mpg mixed for a car that will likely put down 600whp stock.

The Tesla is faster 0-60, cost the same, but will get stomped after 60.

This will be my next daily driver.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I like the idea of this car but really want to see some in-depth comparisons of the M5 vs the E63. Would be nice to see a MT Head to Head with Pobst commentary behind the wheel of these cars or something similar. You really can't go wrong with either choice if this is the type of car you are looking for but the initial depreciation on these is certainly eye watering!

For my own use, I would probably go for the E63 Wagon because of the utility and long roof. The exclusivity and slightly better resale doesn't hurt either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info