🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I looked at this place on Saturday. It sold in less than 24 hours of listing. The neighborhood was a bit strange. It had narrow dirt roads and the driveway was a mud pit. Some nice houses surrounded it, but also some older places with wave runners and non-running cars as yard art.

So myself and 2/3rds of tcg would love it here

giphy.gif

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yeah it's a cool area. The dirt roads though may be a deal breaker for me. There were some nasty ruts and potholes, plus they were really narrow. I was concerned I would have a hard time getting my trailer through. In spots where there were cars parked on the street, it was a tight squeeze to get my tiny Ford Escape through.
It’s nice because it keeps traffic and riff raft out but it’s DEFINITELY it’s own “world” back there. My aunt and uncle owned a house 20-25 years ago at the end of Victor Place, right next to the quarry. Very very nice yet modest house.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
It’s nice because it keeps traffic and riff raft out but it’s DEFINITELY it’s own “world” back there. My aunt and uncle owned a house 20-25 years ago at the end of Victor Place, right next to the quarry. Very very nice yet modest house.

There are a lot of unique houses back there and good sized lots for the price. It seems like a nice quiet neighborhood.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Going to look at our first house tomorrow.
Five-0 Five-0 any insight on the area?

16600 Spaniel Drive, Homer Glen, IL, 60491 - 4 BD/4 BA - $410,000
https://compass.com/listing/734040934943846049/view

That area of town is kind of in the back corner of Homer. A lot of huge houses in there, most on larger lots. Lots of woods and marsh area. It's nice in there and pretty peaceful.

The house was re-listed, just takes a couple days to show the revised status on the sites.

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
We started looking at houses just to get an idea on where we want to buy and how much house we can afford. I have so much anxiety. Cliff notes, we can get a shack in the Shaumburg area or a place around Dundee.

In this market, if you don't have to stick to a specific location that will help immensely. If you need a Realtor I'll be your huckleberry. I'll even cover the first round at the bar to ease your anxiety :D

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling How did your showing go? Are you a fan of all of the approximate 15 pizza places Homer Glen has to offer? lol
The house needed too much work at the asking price IMO. We liked the layout, yard, square footage was good. Whole house upstairs is 1990s, 1980s cabinets in the kitchen with cheap appliances , wood cased windows not looking so hot, 4 different types of flooring on the kitchen/dining/front room level, really no storage except the garage which is a no-no for me.

the house had been contingent twice. First time sellers didn’t want to fix shit so it fell through, second time sellers fixed collapsed sewer line, chimney tuck pointing re-done, fixed couple window issues. It apparently was significantly above asking price at that point too and the buyers backed out.

I just can’t see paying another 10-15 for the house plus needing to remodel the most expensive room in the house. I can do paint and trim but I expect at least a partially re-done house at $400k+

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
The house needed too much work at the asking price IMO. We liked the layout, yard, square footage was good. Whole house upstairs is 1990s, 1980s cabinets in the kitchen with cheap appliances , wood cased windows not looking so hot, 4 different types of flooring on the kitchen/dining/front room level, really no storage except the garage which is a no-no for me.

the house had been contingent twice. First time sellers didn’t want to fix shit so it fell through, second time sellers fixed collapsed sewer line, chimney tuck pointing re-done, fixed couple window issues. It apparently was significantly above asking price at that point too and the buyers backed out.

I just can’t see paying another 10-15 for the house plus needing to remodel the most expensive room in the house. I can do paint and trim but I expect at least a partially re-done house at $400k+

Your assessment is more or less what I assumed when I looked at the pics at least from an update standpoint. At least the sellers are fixing/have fixed the major issues.

It will be tough to find a home on a larger lot like that for $400k or less that doesn't need work. If you're good with around 1/3 acre lot and a split level, then you'll be set. My house for example is pretty well updated, has an addition, gazebo, shed and on 1/3 acre and will likely sell for around the 400k mark after a bidding war IMO. I might be listing in the next few months, but IDK yet. All I'm getting at is that you'll be able to get into Homer for $400k for sure, but it will be a little give and take on what matters most to you.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Get used to it man, especially now. People would sell a plywood shanty for 110k and say it's a turn key house because of this current housing climate. Just keep looking and don't let it get to you, but get used to it.

I went through about 30 houses before I found mine that was at least 90% alright. People asking $150 (in 2014) with a moldy roof, front brick falling apart as we walk up to it, garage floor cracked in half and slanted, and on and on.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Your assessment is more or less what I assumed when I looked at the pics at least from an update standpoint. At least the sellers are fixing/have fixed the major issues.

It will be tough to find a home on a larger lot like that for $400k or less that doesn't need work. If you're good with around 1/3 acre lot and a split level, then you'll be set. My house for example is pretty well updated, has an addition, gazebo, shed and on 1/3 acre and will likely sell for around the 400k mark after a bidding war IMO. I might be listing in the next few months, but IDK yet. All I'm getting at is that you'll be able to get into Homer for $400k for sure, but it will be a little give and take on what matters most to you.
We’re looking at spending $375-450k. $450k is a needs nothing checks all our boxes house. I can do a kitchen and flooring at $390, not $420+

i was expecting needing to do work, it just didn’t check enough of our boxes to stomach doing all that work and still not having what we want.

#1 priority after location for me is at a minimum 2.5 car garage plus a place I can park a boat/trailer and not be surprised by the village 3 years down the road telling me it’s no longer kosher to have it there.

ALL my hobbies need some sort of dirty space like a garage just to store them. I need easily 200sqft of storage for all the fishing shit I own.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Get used to it man, especially now. People would sell a plywood shanty for 110k and say it's a turn key house because of this current housing climate. Just keep looking and don't let it get to you, but get used to it.

I went through about 30 houses before I found mine that was at least 90% alright. People asking $150 (in 2014) with a moldy roof, front brick falling apart as we walk up to it, garage floor cracked in half and slanted, and on and on.
Like I said, first house we have seen. I’m sure we’ll have expectations tempered a bit as we continue to look. We have a massive radius we are willing to live in and there should be a few places that pop up with minimal compromise.

this is where we are looking.
BFC7C485-E224-4974-8ACB-0894686BD5DB.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I've mentioned before that once the kids are gone (Daughter already gone, waiting on my son). We are selling and hightailing it back to the city.
Will probably rent as I dont want to be confined to one area and just dont feel like dealing with the overall shit that comes with owning.
For shits and giggles I was looking at rent prices in the city in a brand new bldg near Halsted and Lake (west loop). 650sq ft studio going for $1900 a month. Go to a 1 bedroom with a decent sized bathroom, $2500 a month lol. Pretty sure we will wind up in the Logan Square/Humboldt Park area. But even those areas are skyrocketing.

OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling What were you paying at your old apartment and how big was it?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I've mentioned before that once the kids are gone (Daughter already gone, waiting on my son). We are selling and hightailing it back to the city.
Will probably rent as I dont want to be confined to one area and just dont feel like dealing with the overall shit that comes with owning.
For shits and giggles I was looking at rent prices in the city in a brand new bldg near Halsted and Lake (west loop). 650sq ft studio going for $1900 a month. Go to a 1 bedroom with a decent sized bathroom, $2500 a month lol. Pretty sure we will wind up in the Logan Square/Humboldt Park area. But even those areas are skyrocketing.

OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling What were you paying at your old apartment and how big was it?
$2100 for a 2/2 1100sqft on the corner of bishop and huron

had a small yard, garage, basement storage, 10x12 deck off the master

Reactions: Shawn1112

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Jared do your research about ordnances if you are putting an offer in and actually have some time to think. Some towns have some real bullshit ordnances regarding what you can and cannot have parked on your driveway/property. I know you like hillbilly shit just as much as I, so wouldn't want to be surprised about anything.

Fox River Grove for instance says you cannot have a boat in storage visible from street if you do not have waterfront property.

Village of Barrington says you cannot have your work van/truck parked on your own driveway at anytime.

Reactions: Shawn1112

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I’m well aware. Pretty much any town will not allow you to have a trailer of any kinds parked in front of your house. You can park shit behind a fence below a maximum height in the back/side yard.

you can get away with more or less depending where you’re at, who your neighbors are and if the town really gives a fix because they adopted some boilerplate village code.

Thread Info