🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Jared do your research about ordnances if you are putting an offer in and actually have some time to think. Some towns have some real bullshit ordnances regarding what you can and cannot have parked on your driveway/property. I know you like hillbilly shit just as much as I, so wouldn't want to be surprised about anything.

Fox River Grove for instance says you cannot have a boat in storage visible from street if you do not have waterfront property.

Village of Barrington says you cannot have your work van/truck parked on your own driveway at anytime.

who the fuck would wanna live there anyways

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Not going to be able to live in a well manicured Naperville neighborhood and park a boat in the driveway more than 2 days.

Homer Glen has an ordinance against it too, but when your neighbors house is behind a wall of trees 200’ away they don’t care so much.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
who the fuck would wanna live there anyways

Using it as a bullshit example. Parking your ugly conversion van in your driveway is OK but if it has no windows and says Tony's Plumbing on the side is it banned.

Barrington and Barrington Hills (on the Cook County side) are a great value. Some of the lowest taxes, lowest price per square foot, and best schools in the area. Good for a buyer, not so much for a seller. Since jobs have moved from the burbs to city the values in that area really dropped.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Using it as a bullshit example. Parking your ugly conversion van in your driveway is OK but if it has no windows and says Tony's Plumbing on the side is it banned.

Barrington and Barrington Hills (on the Cook County side) are a great value. Some of the lowest taxes, lowest price per square foot, and best schools in the area. Good for a buyer, not so much for a seller. Since jobs have moved from the burbs to city the values in that area really dropped.

HEY FUCK YOU GUY MY CONVERSION VAN LOOKS FUCKING SWEET

• Haha
Reactions: LikeABauce302

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Like I said, first house we have seen. I’m sure we’ll have expectations tempered a bit as we continue to look. We have a massive radius we are willing to live in and there should be a few places that pop up with minimal compromise.

this is where we are looking.
View attachment 84331

i guesstimated where your drawing on this map was as well as i could.

whatchya think about any of these?

live by emerballs in this one.

not big enough but get a horse.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This one is pretty baller, schools aren’t fantastic

2S216 Riverside Avenue, Warrenville, IL, 60555 - 5 BD/3.5 BA - $450,000
https://compass.com/listing/745032198213958457/view

thing with schools, is they and their ratings can and do change.

who knows what they'll be like by the time minions are that school age. you know?

saw it up here. mchenry was below johnsburg for quite some time.

now... shit flipped.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yeah, I basically ignored school ratings when looking at houses. You could have a bad wave of crotch goblins and a bad wave of teachers for 3-4 years then suddenly kids grow up/teachers GTFO and now the school is great. That school ratings is 110% emotionally driven by Karens, too.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
thing with schools, is they and their ratings can and do change.

who knows what they'll be like by the time minions are that school age. you know?

saw it up here. mchenry was below johnsburg for quite some time.

now... shit flipped.
I brought that up to her yesterday. The house we looked at had great primary and jr high, high school not so much.

if we got pregnant today, kid is 5 years out from even going to school and 14 years away from HS. Who knows what will happen with the schools or if we are even going to be in the same place. I don’t want to get into a total shit district but I’m not afraid of a 5-6.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I brought that up to her yesterday. The house we looked at had great primary and jr high, high school not so much.

if we got pregnant today, kid is 5 years out from even going to school and 14 years away from HS. Who knows what will happen with the schools or if we are even going to be in the same place. I don’t want to get into a total shit district but I’m not afraid of a 5-6.

well and also consider if they redraw boundaries. another level of clusterfuck.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton

When I moved to my current house Hubble Middle School was a 7/10. Now it's a 4? K.
Look at greatschools.org and see what they factor for ratings. It's a joke

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah, I basically ignored school ratings when looking at houses. You could have a bad wave of crotch goblins and a bad wave of teachers for 3-4 years then suddenly kids grow up/teachers GTFO and now the school is great. That school ratings is 110% emotionally driven by Karens, too.
This guy ^^^^^ gets it. I'm still completely dumbfounded on why people base where they live on the schools.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
This guy ^^^^^ gets it. I'm still completely dumbfounded on why people base where they live on the schools.
Right? If the neighborhood is decent, things are at least semi-upkept, and houses aren't falling sideways, chances are the schools are fine.
I'm almost ready to give up on my search for the time being. Inventory is incredibly slim right now.
Half the reason I haven’t just sold the house out of greed. I’d have to live with my parents/grandma/rent an apartment at the current inflated to fuck pricing.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Looks like interest rates are going to go up. 3.09% last week for a 30 year fixed. The economist who talked to my office predicts 5%-6% in the next year or so. He said 5% will slow down price increases and 6% may stop them. Something to keep in mind if you are in the market. He also predicted an 8% increase in Florida home prices this year.

I'm almost ready to give up on my search for the time being. Inventory is incredibly slim right now.

Don’t give up. You will find something.

When we were looking in Tennessee, we were looking in about a 60 mile radius. The house we were going to buy had a contract put on it the night before we had an appointment to look at it. Sight unseen.
We looked at so many places ?. One house came up for sale on a Monday night about 8pm so the realtor got us the first appointment the next morning. Someone wrote a contract on the house an hour later for 30k over and the people accepted.
It’s crazy out there.
We did get lucky though, a fsbo was putting a sign out while my realtor was driving by, got in to see the house on the spot and did a face time with me. The house was much much better than the one we were going to buy and was 20k cheaper! I told her to write the contract as soon as she got back in the car still in the driveway. ? She took it right back in and they signed.

Now I just don’t know how soon I’m going to sell my Illinois place, not looking forward to it.

Just good luck, you will find something.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
A week ago I told my neighbors about the field behind our houses selling to some cookie cutter developer. They were bummed, talked about how they were wanting to expand their deck and get a gazebo etc.

Welllll saturday their house went on the market for a whopping $390k and it was a mad house over there. Major impulse decision for them but if they've got somewhere to live in the interim, why not. This house is ~1900 sq ft above ground and ~900 in the finished basement with a two car garage. And frankly it feels smaller than that upstairs, it's cramped IMO. BLOWS MY MIND how much money they're going to get for it. Good for me though.

Thread Info