🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Oh yeah, I have no room to talk. But I'll feel better when I have no more mortgage in 2 years!!
Interest sucks, but I'm glad it's only 2.99% instead of what it is now.

Speaking of interest, these charts and data have me wondering why in the fuck anyone is taking out a 10 year car loan....at least a house usually goes up in value....you're paying 10 years of interest on an asset that loses value.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
wife’s friend is closing now and had to buy a smaller house than they wanted because the interest rates have skyrocketed. They sold their house almost 2 years ago and have been living with relatives. Stupidly They fucked around and were dragging their feet making up their mind on the perfect house and now they just have to get something. Their credit is not the greatest so the interest rate is 8.2%… ouch!
This is the typical result for the people that "WaiT fOr PrIcEs tO dRoP". Houses cost 15% more than they did when they sold 2 years ago AND they're getting buttfucked on the rate

At least they were living with fam, i'm assuming for free

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Speaking of interest, these charts and data have me wondering why in the fuck anyone is taking out a 10 year car loan....at least a house usually goes up in value....you're paying 10 years of interest on an asset that loses value.
Because they can. America has taught people to stay in debt, not be out of it.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Lol… was just talking to the new neighbor this morning. He was asking who owns the lot behind my house. I own it all. His jaw dropped.

How the fuck you going to sell a house, live RENT FREE for 2 years and not have a stack of cash?!

The husband quit his job and just sat around playing video games and drinking the whole time. He’s just fucking lazy and entitled. His Wife busts her ass but also “had” to buy new cars and gladly paid that ADM…. on a loaded RAV4 and him with a new Ram. They sold both cars to get approved for this loan and are back to driving her old Nissan suv as their only car. Lol.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Lol… was talking to the new neighbor this morning. He was asking who owns the lot behind my house. I own it all.

The husband quit his job and just sat around playing video games and drinking the whole time. He’s just fucking lazy and entitled. His Wife busts her ass but also “had” to buy new cars and gladly paid that ADM…. on a loaded RAV4 and him with a new Ram. They sold both cars to get approved for this loan and are back to driving her old Nissan suv as their only car. Lol.
Will Ferrell Loser GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Huggerorange73

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Yeah, but look at that 2.99 for 30 years and see what your total interest is ??
Yeah but if you pay it down early to save on the interest you are using money that could be used elsewhere that gets a higher return on your investment. 3 percent is super cheap money in the grand scheme of things

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Yeah but if you pay it down early to save on the interest you are using money that could be used elsewhere that gets a higher return on your investment. 3 percent is super cheap money in the grand scheme of things
It is, I'm at 3% as well, but with the house being the only debt, I'd love to just write a check every 6 months for the property taxes and do something else stupid with my mortgage money.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
This is the typical result for the people that "WaiT fOr PrIcEs tO dRoP". Houses cost 15% more than they did when they sold 2 years ago AND they're getting buttfucked on the rate

At least they were living with fam, i'm assuming for free
Yup. They had to hold out for that perfect house and kept saying the rates are sooo low it will be fine. No problems. Yeah.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I’m good. Paying the minimum unless I have some massive windfall of cash that I can pay it off with. The bank can enjoy my 2050 dollars paying the 2021 price.

House also needs $100k+ of remodel work so it’s better spent on that anyways.

It’s a place to live and shelter my family, not an investment.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I've scaled back mortgage payments to the min, its 'cheap' debt to carry with inflation and today's rates factored. I'm betting and hoping that additional principal I was paying will have a better ROI elsewhere.... still kicking myself for not doing a cash out refi with a 2% rate lol

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Well, here's the answer to this statement......When I was looking back in 2021, houses that were in the 350-400K range all needed close to 100K of remodeling work.

This was one of the reasons why it took me over 2 years to find a house. I started looking toward the end of 2019. Then the pandemic happened and there was little inventory and prices started increasing like crazy. I was budgeting as close to $300k as possible with a little wiggle room to go higher if I found the right place. So many of the houses in the $300-$350k range photographed well, but needed a lot of work and some of the things I saw were in need of immediate attention. If I was going to be towards the top of my budget, I couldn't swing buying a place that needed some expensive and critical work done within the first year of ownership.

I also saw a lot of flipped houses with some cheap and questionable work done. I didn't want a flipped house in that price range because I questioned quality of work and materials used. Especially with how quickly houses were getting bought up and relisted. This summer, I finally found a place that was in really nice shape and needed nothing other than some paint and minor aesthetic changes. I'm pretty sure the previous owner was a tradesman of some sort. Nothing in the place was skimped on and any repairs or updates I can spot were well thought out and done with good parts and materials. I'm really glad I got in at the right time with a 5.0% rate and I paid a little less than asking price. If I waited any longer, I'd have to give up on my search or figure out a way to bring in more income.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Was talking to some friends that we don't see often a few weeks ago. The wife said they've missed out on 3 "lots" that have come available near them, and that they were absolutely going to jump on whatever popped up next. They have 3 kids in school, love boating, and live on the only lake in their school district (which was fully developed decades ago), so I was kind of confused.

Turns out by "lots" she meant lakefront golden oak boomer houses that they would buy and raze then build something new. What a boss move.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Houses in my old hood are still going for big dollars, $390k for a dated bilevel

Thread Info