⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Looks like I'm saying they will be in the playoffs again right here

And again

No mention of them not making the playoffs

You really should stop and think before you post anything in this thread when thinking about me. I've proven you wrong countless times and am doing so AGAIN!
I've forgotten more about baseball then you will ever know. I've said it before, I'm more than a Cubs fan, I'm a huge baseball fan.

Yes, I said they peaked and its all down hill. Not once did I say they wouldnt make the playoffs next year. In fact, I quoted myself showing that I'm insinuating they will be back in the playoffs. Had I said it, I would man the fuck up and put my money where my mouth is!

You on the other hand, said the Cubs wont make the playoffs until 2028. So put your money where your mouth is and bet the $1000!!!
I already bet the cubs won't make the playoffs....I manned up. Don't bail out on your words, then when you see two other people arguing and betting, and then beg to get in on that bet. Jeff and I manned up, and there wasn't much back and forth on it.

In regards to your bolded statement above....you make no sense. "all downhill.....but they'll be just as good so I can't bet that." Got it! Again....man up to your words or give up dude.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I already bet the cubs won't make the playoffs....I manned up. Don't bail out on your words, then when you see two other people arguing and betting, and then beg to get in on that bet. Jeff and I manned up, and there wasn't much back and forth on it.

In regards to your bolded statement above....you make no sense. "all downhill.....but they'll be just as good so I can't bet that." Got it! Again....man up to your words or give up dude.
Scared money makes no money!!!
Please show me in my words where I said they wouldnt make the playoffs, you cant because I never said that.
Again, they play in the AL Central and were the only team above .500 so I sure the fuck hope they make the playoffs with their roster.

You bet a dinner and drinks, now bet some cash!
As mentioned, had I said they wouldnt make the playoffs, I would man the fuck up.
But again and to no surprise, you were talking out your ass again in this thread.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Scared money makes no money!!!
Please show me in my words where I said they wouldnt make the playoffs, you cant because I never said that.
Again, they play in the AL Central and were the only team above .500 so I sure the fuck hope they make the playoffs with their roster.

You bet a dinner and drinks, now bet some cash!
As mentioned, had I said they wouldnt make the playoffs, I would man the fuck up.
But again and to no surprise, you were talking out your ass again in this thread.

So can you define what "all downhill from here" means? I think it's fair to say that "downhill" suggests they would not be as good as this year, but somehow you're also saying they will be just as good.

And again, quit begging to get in an another man's bet.

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So can you define what "all downhill from here" means? I think it's fair to say that "downhill" suggests they would not be as good as this year, but somehow you're also saying they will be just as good.

And again, quit begging to get in an another man's bet.
Begging, lmmfao
I'd off myself before begging another man for anything. I got too much pride to beg for anything in life!

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Ok now that it's a day later and most of the beatoff c-unt fans are back to forgetting about baseball, here's my take on the season and opinions moving forward.

The Sox were in an easy division for the 2nd half, that's true. The first half of the season they had to actually to try to be in 1st. That being said they were swept by Houston at home but Houston was on a huge win streak, maybe like a 10 game?. When the Indians gave up the Sox started to coast. They played some good teams well though: Cardinals, Rays and Red Sox. At times they looked like an elite team and times they looked completely out classed. This is a young team and the core has not peaked so there is room to grow.

Pitching:
-Resign Lynn, hands down. Dude was a horse and should be in the Cy Young conversation. He fizzled out a little at the end but this is the first 162 game season after a shortened season last year.
-Cease is evolving into a front line starter that needs more experience. He was at the top of the AL in strike outs. He needs to learn to pitch through struggles and keep limiting walks.
-Giolito is an enigma. He went from garbage to elite and has settled back to mediocre. He has the stuff to be an ace but stands in his own way.
-Keuchel I'm not so much worried about. He is getting old and needs to adapt his game. As a soft tossing lefty and veteran I expect him to re-evaluate this offseason and be at least serviceable next year. He may be a 5th starter and not make the post season roster again but who knows, he finished with a sub 2 ERA in 2020.
-Rodon should be gone. Even though he finally lived up to potential throughout the year he did what he always does, fall apart at the end. That's a big problem when you are needed in the playoffs. If he was August Rodon, he would have started game 1.

Bullpen:
The only guys I want back are Hendricks, Crochet, Tapera and Lopez. Kopech should move to the starting rotation. Bummer, gone. Kimbrel, gone. If he can't pitch in any other roll than closer he's a weak bitch. We need to add pieces through out the off season but we already have a lights out closer so it shouldn't be hard.

The offense was so hot and cold. They look like shit for a couple games then score 10+ runs. If they live up to potential they are as dangerous as anyone in the AL. Grandal is our catcher, I have no issue with him. He will have high OBP but low BA. Abreu is declining but still produces well. He will play 1st and DH. Vaughn will most likely get more games at 1st and will only improve from his rookie season. Hernandez has been garbage. He hit 19 HRs with Cleveland and 3 with the Sox in a more hitter friendly park. He has an option, I expect them to decline it. Anderson is a fucking stud and will win a Gold Glove and another batting title. Has anyone seen Moncada??? After his break out in 2019 he got Covid and has been a replacement level player. He seems disinterested and thinks he's an international pop star. Burger showed promise when he came up for a cup of coffee so I'm not opposed to dealing Moncada. Both Eloy and Robert look like superstars. Unfortunately they missed most of the season. I fully expect both to be 40+ HR guys in the near future. Garcia is a good utility player but he needs to be played as such. He is an infield first guy, he should not be an everyday outfielder. Engel is perfect for a 4th outfielder. Gavin Sheets can slot into DH as he had a good rookie campaign. Collins is your back up catcher but I'm not opposed to a quality veteran back up.

So now, what needs to happen. Well since they traded Madrigal in what turned out to be a bad trade, they need a 2nd baseman. I'd love to see Semien come back but he has said he wants to go back to SS. There's other names out there like Josh Harrison, who I wanted the Sox to trade for initially, and Escobar. They also need a RF. The obvious answer here is Nick Castellanos. Scott Boras is his agent so he won't come cheap. His defense is also not great. Some in house options are promoting Cespedes mid season. He had a pretty decent season in A and AA ball last year. Also Adolfo is out of options and deserves a short. Vaughn can play a little RF as can Gavin Sheets.

All in all I think a couple small additions at 2nd and RF as well a couple bullpen pieces will do. The young guys need to progress and they need to figure out the right line up. The window is open now, getting beat as bad as they did in ALDS could be a great motivator. I expect a hungrier team in 2022. 95+ wins and hopefully they learn to turn it up when needed. ALCS, possible WS appearance.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Ok, so then can you define "all downhill from here?"
Downhill meaning this year was the most realistic chance to win the WS imo. I picked the Astros to win it all when the playoffs started and I'm standing by that.
I also thought the winner of this series would win it all. Boston and TB dont stand a chance against the SUX or the Astros imo.
Giants were my pick coming out of the NL when the playoffs started, and dont think they can compete with the Astros.
Downhill meaning they will not win the WS next year imo
So yes they should and better make the playoffs with this roster/core the next few years.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Can we talk about how the Sox improve next year to be actual contenders? Serious question. How is their pitching staff going to look? Giolito and Lynn are locked in at 1-2, but after that, is it going to be Cease, Kopech, and Keuchel? How confident are you guys in that rotation, and will the outcome be much better in next years playoffs? Their starters were a HUGE letdown imo...

What do they do at 2nd base? Hernandez I think has a cheapish option for next year, but do you really want him back?

For the money the Sox are paying Grandal, you'd like more production. I guess you guys are stuck with him for a couple years more?

Is the club picking up a $16 million dollar option for Kimbrel to come back next year? How did he go from the best closer in baseball with something like a .5 ERA, to total horseshit with the Sox? Was it just because they didn't use him as a 9th inning closer?

Sox are going to have to spend some cash on a stud starter and ideally a 2nd baseman, and then hope that Giolito and Lynn have much a better postseason next year.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Ok now that it's a day later and most of the beatoff c-unt fans are back to forgetting about baseball, here's my take on the season and opinions moving forward.

The Sox were in an easy division for the 2nd half, that's true. The first half of the season they had to actually to try to be in 1st. That being said they were swept by Houston at home but Houston was on a huge win streak, maybe like a 10 game?. When the Indians gave up the Sox started to coast. They played some good teams well though: Cardinals, Rays and Red Sox. At times they looked like an elite team and times they looked completely out classed. This is a young team and the core has not peaked so there is room to grow.

Pitching:
-Resign Lynn, hands down. Dude was a horse and should be in the Cy Young conversation. He fizzled out a little at the end but this is the first 162 game season after a shortened season last year.
-Cease is evolving into a front line starter that needs more experience. He was at the top of the AL in strike outs. He needs to learn to pitch through struggles and keep limiting walks.
-Giolito is an enigma. He went from garbage to elite and has settled back to mediocre. He has the stuff to be an ace but stands in his own way.
-Keuchel I'm not so much worried about. He is getting old and needs to adapt his game. As a soft tossing lefty and veteran I expect him to re-evaluate this offseason and be at least serviceable next year. He may be a 5th starter and not make the post season roster again but who knows, he finished with a sub 2 ERA in 2020.
-Rodon should be gone. Even though he finally lived up to potential throughout the year he did what he always does, fall apart at the end. That's a big problem when you are needed in the playoffs. If he was August Rodon, he would have started game 1.

Bullpen:
The only guys I want back are Hendricks, Crochet, Tapera and Lopez. Kopech should move to the starting rotation. Bummer, gone. Kimbrel, gone. If he can't pitch in any other roll than closer he's a weak bitch. We need to add pieces through out the off season but we already have a lights out closer so it shouldn't be hard.

The offense was so hot and cold. They look like shit for a couple games then score 10+ runs. If they live up to potential they are as dangerous as anyone in the AL. Grandal is our catcher, I have no issue with him. He will have high OBP but low BA. Abreu is declining but still produces well. He will play 1st and DH. Vaughn will most likely get more games at 1st and will only improve from his rookie season. Hernandez has been garbage. He hit 19 HRs with Cleveland and 3 with the Sox in a more hitter friendly park. He has an option, I expect them to decline it. Anderson is a fucking stud and will win a Gold Glove and another batting title. Has anyone seen Moncada??? After his break out in 2019 he got Covid and has been a replacement level player. He seems disinterested and thinks he's an international pop star. Burger showed promise when he came up for a cup of coffee so I'm not opposed to dealing Moncada. Both Eloy and Robert look like superstars. Unfortunately they missed most of the season. I fully expect both to be 40+ HR guys in the near future. Garcia is a good utility player but he needs to be played as such. He is an infield first guy, he should not be an everyday outfielder. Engel is perfect for a 4th outfielder. Gavin Sheets can slot into DH as he had a good rookie campaign. Collins is your back up catcher but I'm not opposed to a quality veteran back up.

So now, what needs to happen. Well since they traded Madrigal in what turned out to be a bad trade, they need a 2nd baseman. I'd love to see Semien come back but he has said he wants to go back to SS. There's other names out there like Josh Harrison, who I wanted the Sox to trade for initially, and Escobar. They also need a RF. The obvious answer here is Nick Castellanos. Scott Boras is his agent so he won't come cheap. His defense is also not great. Some in house options are promoting Cespedes mid season. He had a pretty decent season in A and AA ball last year. Also Adolfo is out of options and deserves a short. Vaughn can play a little RF as can Gavin Sheets.

All in all I think a couple small additions at 2nd and RF as well a couple bullpen pieces will do. The young guys need to progress and they need to figure out the right line up. The window is open now, getting beat as bad as they did in ALDS could be a great motivator. I expect a hungrier team in 2022. 95+ wins and hopefully they learn to turn it up when needed. ALCS, possible WS appearance.
Didnt they already give Lynn a 2 or 3 year extension this season? He is mid 30's so dont think they should go more than that.

Rondon is 100% gone, Boras is his agent and him and the SUX dont get along. Besides he is going to want a 200 million contract

Your closer isnt lights out imo. Gave up way too many home runs this year. He is good and can be great at times but lights out, not imo.
They should keep Kimbrell and let him close, put Hendricks in the high leverage situations like Milwaukee use to use Hader and the Royals use to do the same with someone like that, just cant think of who.

Offense is stacked and murder lefties. But the playoffs are another animal and great pitching and defense will shut down a great offense 8 times out of 10.
On top of that, the deeper you get into October, the colder the weather is. You know what they say about the latin players and cold weather.
Grandall is horrible behind the plate. Great framer but you can run on him all day long. You hate the Cubs and I get it, but they really should have tried getting Contreras.

I told you Moncada sucks last month lol.
TA will never in his life win a gold glove, another batting title, I can see that
Eloy has 2 fucking left feet and will get hurt every year. Roberts is the real deal and truly a 5 tool player.
SUX should have signed Castellanos 2 yrs ago when he wanted to stay in Chgo

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

Pitching:
-Resign Lynn, hands down. Dude was a horse and should be in the Cy Young conversation. He fizzled out a little at the end but this is the first 162 game season after a shortened season last year. Lynn is singed for the next couple years. Sox already extended him.
-Cease is evolving into a front line starter that needs more experience. He was at the top of the AL in strike outs. He needs to learn to pitch through struggles and keep limiting walks. Agree
-Giolito is an enigma. He went from garbage to elite and has settled back to mediocre. He has the stuff to be an ace but stands in his own way. Agree
-Keuchel I'm not so much worried about. He is getting old and needs to adapt his game. As a soft tossing lefty and veteran I expect him to re-evaluate this offseason and be at least serviceable next year. He may be a 5th starter and not make the post season roster again but who knows, he finished with a sub 2 ERA in 2020. Dont agree. I think his best is behind him.
-Rodon should be gone. Even though he finally lived up to potential throughout the year he did what he always does, fall apart at the end. That's a big problem when you are needed in the playoffs. If he was August Rodon, he would have started game 1. I dont think the Sox even persue signing him. He's been injury plagued his whole career.

Bullpen:
The only guys I want back are Hendricks, Crochet, Tapera and Lopez. Kopech should move to the starting rotation. Bummer, gone. Kimbrel, gone. If he can't pitch in any other roll than closer he's a weak bitch. We need to add pieces through out the off season but we already have a lights out closer so it shouldn't be hard. Semi agree. Lockdown closers are hard to find. Hendricks came out in public and said he absolutely wouldnt mind pithing setup. Kimbrel is obviously fragile, but it's hard to argue how good he was before the trade. If Hendricks can pitch 8th and Kimbrel 9th, the Sox would have and awesome back end if Kimbrel returns to form.

The offense was so hot and cold. They look like shit for a couple games then score 10+ runs. If they live up to potential they are as dangerous as anyone in the AL. Grandal is our catcher, I have no issue with him. He will have high OBP but low BA. Abreu is declining but still produces well. He will play 1st and DH. Vaughn will most likely get more games at 1st and will only improve from his rookie season. Hernandez has been garbage. He hit 19 HRs with Cleveland and 3 with the Sox in a more hitter friendly park. He has an option, I expect them to decline it. Anderson is a fucking stud and will win a Gold Glove and another batting title. Has anyone seen Moncada??? After his break out in 2019 he got Covid and has been a replacement level player. He seems disinterested and thinks he's an international pop star. Burger showed promise when he came up for a cup of coffee so I'm not opposed to dealing Moncada. Both Eloy and Robert look like superstars. Unfortunately they missed most of the season. I fully expect both to be 40+ HR guys in the near future. Garcia is a good utility player but he needs to be played as such. He is an infield first guy, he should not be an everyday outfielder. Engel is perfect for a 4th outfielder. Gavin Sheets can slot into DH as he had a good rookie campaign. Collins is your back up catcher but I'm not opposed to a quality veteran back up. Pretty spot on.

All in all I think a couple small additions at 2nd and RF as well a couple bullpen pieces will do. The young guys need to progress and they need to figure out the right line up. The window is open now, getting beat as bad as they did in ALDS could be a great motivator. I expect a hungrier team in 2022. 95+ wins and hopefully they learn to turn it up when needed. ALCS, possible WS appearance. Definitely need some guys to take major steps forward. We'll see...

Response in red

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Didnt they already give Lynn a 2 or 3 year extension this season? He is mid 30's so dont think they should go more than that.

Rondon is 100% gone, Boras is his agent and him and the SUX dont get along. Besides he is going to want a 200 million contract

Your closer isnt lights out imo. Gave up way too many home runs this year. He is good and can be great at times but lights out, not imo.
They should keep Kimbrell and let him close, put Hendricks in the high leverage situations like Milwaukee use to use Hader and the Royals use to do the same with someone like that, just cant think of who.

Offense is stacked and murder lefties. But the playoffs are another animal and great pitching and defense will shut down a great offense 8 times out of 10.
On top of that, the deeper you get into October, the colder the weather is. You know what they say about the latin players and cold weather.
Grandall is horrible behind the plate. Great framer but you can run on him all day long. You hate the Cubs and I get it, but they really should have tried getting Contreras.

TA will never in his life win a gold glove, another batting title, I can see that
Eloy has 2 fucking left feet and will get hurt every year. Roberts is the real deal and truly a 5 tool player.
Agree with everything you said except TA. The guys is very good defensively!

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Response in red
I completely forgot they extended Lynn towards the end of the season. Good catch.

If Baez can win a gold glove, so can TA. His defense has gotten a lot better and it's half popularity contest.
Hendricks has been as lights out as any closer in baseball. I wouldn't fuck with that. Kimbrel was good in the watered down NL....
You could run on AJ all day long too...
Another option in RF is Bryan Reynolds, I'd love to see him on the south side.
Half the MLB is latin. They have a problem getting going in the cold, they don't fall off in the fall.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I need to do a critique on Tony though. I'm concerned that he's lost it and the game as evolved past him...
Really, lol. Sounds like you might be wearing that shirt and buying food/drinks at the game.
He is stuck in his old school ways, I said that in this thread. You can arguably blame him for 2 losses this series.
Not that the outcome would have been different those 2 games, but it sure would have helped. Left his starters in twice when it was clear they should have been pulled. AJ 100% called it yesterday as well, right before Correa hit that 2 run single yesterday.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Really, lol. Sounds like you might be wearing that shirt and buying food/drinks at the game.
He is stuck in his old school ways, I said that in this thread. You can arguably blame him for 2 losses this series.
Not that the outcome would have been different those 2 games, but it sure would have helped. Left his starters in twice when it was clear they should have been pulled. AJ 100% called it yesterday as well, right before Correa hit that 2 run single yesterday.
I would have left rodon in as well. Not like Kopech dominated when he came in. AJ was wrong.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Yeah I made that bet before the playoffs. The dude is still a HOF'er. This is his first year in the dugout in over a decade. As long as he's open to change, I still have faith. I imagine he's embarrassed being out managed by a clown like Baker.

He needs to look at analytics. The way he used the shift was horrid. They played Altuve straight up and he hit it right up the middle every time. Even the guys in the booth were calling him out on that. He also plays the match righty/lefty match up like the 90's. Why Hernandez started at 2nd. Engel has better numbers against righties, he's an elite defender. The was no reason to start Garcia in right and Hernandez at 2nd. Buuuuuut they are both switch hitters for Tony played them. :cautious: Kopech should have never seen game 4 action. As soon as Rodon was pulled, Lopez should have been given the ball.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah I made that bet before the playoffs. The dude is still a HOF'er. This is his first year in the dugout in over a decade. As long as he's open to change, I still have faith. I imagine he's embarrassed being out managed by a clown like Baker.

He needs to look at analytics. The way he used the shift was horrid. They played Altuve straight up and he hit it right up the middle every time. Even the guys in the booth were calling him out on that. He also plays the match righty/lefty match up like the 90's. Why Hernandez started at 2nd. Engel has better numbers against righties, he's an elite defender. The was no reason to start Garcia in right and Hernandez at 2nd. Buuuuuut they are both switch hitters for Tony played them. :cautious: Kopech should have never seen game 4 action. As soon as Rodon was pulled, Lopez should have been given the ball.
He will not change, he is stuck in his ways. He has no business being in the dugout leading a team imo. Reinsdorf hired him simply because he is a friend and probably feels he owes him something.
I'm personally not a fan of the shift and really hope they ban that shit.
See, I think Hernandez should have been starting at 2nd all series long. He is an elite gold glove defender with some pop. Isnt Engel an elite defender in right field?
1 error can change a whole series and defense/pitching wins in the playoffs. The Astros played unbelievable defense in this series.
I see it the same way with Kopech vs Lopez.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Only thing I found funny was that the astros got a little too defensive about the cheating thing. Like, they might not be, but it's hard not to have it in the back of your mind. Dusty responded to Tepera by saying the Sox have just as good of an offense at home which is sort of telling you, hey maybe you're the ones who are cheating, rather than just saying, were not doing it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Only thing I found funny was that the astros got a little too defensive about the cheating thing. Like, they might not be, but it's hard not to have it in the back of your mind. Dusty responded to Tepera by saying the Sox have just as good of an offense at home which is sort of telling you, hey maybe you're the ones who are cheating, rather than just saying, were not doing it.
Tepera was talking out of his ass. If any hint of it was true, the media would be all over it.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
He will not change, he is stuck in his ways. He has no business being in the dugout leading a team imo. Reinsdorf hired him simply because he is a friend and probably feels he owes him something.
I'm personally not a fan of the shift and really hope they ban that shit.
See, I think Hernandez should have been starting at 2nd all series long. He is an elite gold glove defender with some pop. Isnt Engel an elite defender in right field?
1 error can change a whole series and defense/pitching wins in the playoffs. The Astros played unbelievable defense in this series.
I see it the same way with Kopech vs Lopez.
The guy has to have some sense of ego right? I completely agree that it was a friend hire that was ordered by Reinsdorf. I have no love for Jerry and hopefully the end is near. I'm hoping the Bears move starts a bit of a domino effect and the Sox get new ownership that moves them out near I80 and 355. Anyways Tony is here to win and ride off into the sunset. The only benefit is Jerry may spend more so he doesn't look like and idiot and gets his friend a ring. I also think Tony will take a step back and re-evaluate his approach.

Yes 1 error, like the one made by Garcia in right in game 2 can defiantly change a game and series. They would have come home 1-1. Engel is an elite defender and would have been the everyday RF had he been healthy.

You can hate the shift all you want but the Asshole's executed it much better than the Sox.

I also think Ethan Katz needs to share some of the blame. The bullpen was a disaster since the beginning of the season. That was supposed to be their strength.

Thread Info