New tahoe and suburban (2021)

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Yea but which one will hold value in 5-10 years?

I honestly don't care about their residual value but then again maybe I'm in the minority. If I buy something it typically hits the crusher when I'm done with it. The value prop to me isn't what I get after I'm done with it but rather the amount of (hopefully) trouble free miles I get from a vehicle that enable me to get where I need to go to make money or enjoy my life. If it's a project car the value comes from the fun I have with it. In the end it's an expense not an investment.

My wife and I are kind of going through this right now. We were thinking about getting a Jeep Gladiator so we had something to tow the RV then realized for ~$10K more (you need a Rubicon or Max Tow Package to tow our RV's GVWR and they're basically the same price) we could get a Wrangler and Colorado that while not the most heavily optioned were adequate. That would basically net us twice the overall usable mileage out of the vehicles over their lives in all probability and is likely a better value (should probably factor plates, insurance and interest in) especially if we buy one and then stagger the purchase of the other.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I honestly don't care about their residual value but then again maybe I'm in the minority. If I buy something it typically hits the crusher when I'm done with it. The value prop to me isn't what I get after I'm done with it but rather the amount of (hopefully) trouble free miles I get from a vehicle that enable me to get where I need to go to make money or enjoy my life. If it's a project car the value comes from the fun I have with it. In the end it's an expense not an investment.

My wife and I are kind of going through this right now. We were thinking about getting a Jeep Gladiator so we had something to tow the RV then realized for ~$10K more (you need a Rubicon or Max Tow Package to tow our RV's GVWR and they're basically the same price) we could get a Wrangler and Colorado that while not the most heavily optioned were adequate. That would basically net us twice the overall usable mileage out of the vehicles over their lives in all probability and is likely a better value (should probably factor plates, insurance and interest in) especially if we buy one and then stagger the purchase of the other.
I’m more of the wait a few years and buy used instead of new. These tahoes and suburbans will be 30% cheaper than any truck of the same age.

my statement has nothing to do with buying a brand new vehicle and thinking it will hold value. Simply on the used market, suvs are cheaper than trucks by far.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yea but which one will hold value in 5-10 years?

i really dont know.

it seems like since there are so many fewer burbs/yukons nowadays, they hold their value pretty crazy well lately... as opposed to 06/07ish or 12-14ish.

it seems like you can't touch a decent 2015+ burb/yukon for under 35k with almost 100k miles and leather seats

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m more of the wait a few years and buy used instead of new. These tahoes and suburbans will be 30% cheaper than any truck of the same age.

my statement has nothing to do with buying a brand new vehicle and thinking it will hold value. Simply on the used market, suvs are cheaper than trucks by far.

i dont know with newer stuff if it is- older stuff was this way for sure but like i said in the post above, you can find a 2015 sierra/silverado comparably equipped to a 2015 suburban/yukon for less i'd say.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

I don't tend to by new typically, my wife does. The problem is the value prop for most used cars right now seems to be utter shit to me. It's like the Escalade I have was KBB for 5-7 when we got it from my inlaws for 2. I would have been pissed spending 5-7 on it tbh. What blows my mind is that was even at 185K miles and average to fair condition it was valued at 5-7K.

With as much NNBS as I see with rot issues I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay what they go for these days either. It makes me cringe to see a 10 year old truck with major rot in the wheel arches especially with what they still go for these days.

Not sure on trucks vs SUVs but when I was looking at used F-series they were 40+ for a truck with say 60-80K on it if I remember right. Fuck that, seems like too much money to me for something that I'm going to have to put work into in 100K miles or so.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
take this for example- 2016 cloth yukon, i feel like this as a crew cab sierra would be mid to high 20's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Good news is you dont need to lift the Z71, just a wheel+ tire package

i like how the 2020 z71 burbs look, granted that's not what this thread is about though

1609262996899.png

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I don't tend to by new typically, my wife does. The problem is the value prop for most used cars right now seems to be utter shit to me. It's like the Escalade I have was KBB for 5-7 when we got it from my inlaws for 2. I would have been pissed spending 5-7 on it tbh. What blows my mind is that was even at 185K miles and average to fair condition it was valued at 5-7K.

With as much NNBS as I see with rot issues I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay what they go for these days either. It makes me cringe to see a 10 year old truck with major rot in the wheel arches especially with what they still go for these days.

Not sure on trucks vs SUVs but when I was looking at used F-series they were 40+ for a truck with say 60-80K on it if I remember right. Fuck that, seems like too much money to me for something that I'm going to have to put work into in 100K miles or so.

Over the past few years I’ve hit every singe one of your trains of thought. I bought new, and within 3 years it was rusting in the doors. Utterly disgusted, I sold it. Bought the same truck essentially but one model year older for half the price, drove it until it started bubbling on the cab corner (at only seven years old) and sold it. Now I bought a truck for a quarter of what I sold the last one for that already has rust and I just don’t care lol. I’ve come to the conclusion that until I can afford to get something new every 3-4 years or have a second capable vehicle to drive while I store it in the winters, I’m just going to buy stuff that’s already rusting and just try to make it as presentable as possible.

I just can’t stomach watching something I’m making a $500+ payment on disintegrate back into the earth.

I gave roughly $4,800 for this truck, wheelwells have rust that a set of $60 Amazon flares took care of.

B5701C64-46ED-4A74-AB32-0039AE05F30A.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
To Yaj Yak Yaj Yak ’s point, I think the 2015+ SUV’s including these 2021’s will hold their value above and beyond the pickups. With the available offerings for other SUV’s and crossovers out there the market share for the big boys has been diminishing, either due to the fact that these things are just MASSIVE compared to the previous generations or that it costs you $60,000 to get a base model.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
That looks alot different than the press release pics. I take it the production model was alot lower than pictured

View attachment 77396
Thats due to the Air Ride Adaptive Suspension on the Z71. Iirc, to set it that high you have to be in 4wd Hi.
I believe there is 4" of suspension play with the air ride.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Over the past few years I’ve hit every singe one of your trains of thought. I bought new, and within 3 years it was rusting in the doors. Utterly disgusted, I sold it. Bought the same truck essentially but one model year older for half the price, drove it until it started bubbling on the cab corner (at only seven years old) and sold it. Now I bought a truck for a quarter of what I sold the last one for that already has rust and I just don’t care lol. I’ve come to the conclusion that until I can afford to get something new every 3-4 years or have a second capable vehicle to drive while I store it in the winters, I’m just going to buy stuff that’s already rusting and just try to make it as presentable as possible.

I just can’t stomach watching something I’m making a $500+ payment on disintegrate back into the earth.

I gave roughly $4,800 for this truck, wheelwells have rust that a set of $60 Amazon flares took care of.

View attachment 77401

That makes sense, it just seems like it's a headache and not worth it. The "small" trucks have gone up in size (and cost) as well. The death of the mini truck has certainly forced people to various alternatives. I'd totally drive that for $5k.

No fucking way!?!?!?! REALLY!?!?!?
I think I would of broken it twice already. "Insert Homer Simpson car goes up, car goes down gif" ??

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info