Need help - 3800 AC fix

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
well la tee freakin dah!! DHP>hpt

btw awesome magnet...sorta thinkin im goin...someone has to be the guy to call you edsel in front of yer soon be be larger family.
Al's comming over tonight i was gonna ask him if him and the mama are going...see if i can sponge a ride off him so i can get nice n plastered

You could walk bro

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Got my new auto dim and compass mirror on yesterday. :fy:

Now I have a slow response code for bank 1, sensor 1 o2 sensor. So I ordered a Denso replacement sensor as well as a new iat sensor.

Now to put in the new iat sensor, can I just leave it on top of the engine? Would the higher temps it's seeing be problematic and mess with the tune in any way?

If so, I'm guessing it then would be best to just wire the sensor to in front of the radiator, but I don't want to do any wire work if it's not needed.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Got my new auto dim and compass mirror on yesterday. :fy:

Now I have a slow response code for bank 1, sensor 1 o2 sensor. So I ordered a Denso replacement sensor as well as a new iat sensor.

Now to put in the new iat sensor, can I just leave it on top of the engine? Would the higher temps it's seeing be problematic and mess with the tune in any way?

If so, I'm guessing it then would be best to just wire the sensor to in front of the radiator, but I don't want to do any wire work if it's not needed.

Angus dont nmskull it. (too soon?)

check the O2 sensor for contamination when you take it out. Check the wiring too. I am guessing headers are installed.

Also, can you measure the resistance of the IAT sensor? the idea is to make sure the problem is in the sensor and not in the wiring.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Angus dont nmskull it. (too soon?)

check the O2 sensor for contamination when you take it out. Check the wiring too. I am guessing headers are installed.

Also, can you measure the resistance of the IAT sensor? the idea is to make sure the problem is in the sensor and not in the wiring.

Wha? I'll check the sensor, but if I have a warranty on it, I'm going to replace it anyways and then see if it comes back on.

Also, there currently is no IAT sensor.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
AFter my second trip to Advanced, I finally got a new iat sensor in there and drove home with the sensor open and hanging out right above the uim.

AC WORKED! :fy:

It was reading intake temps of 180*F though :rofl: And maybe it was just me, but the car felt like it had lost a good amount of power just driving normally and I don't know if that's b/c of the iat temps, the bad o2 sensor, or just the ac compressor in use.

I'll be relocating the iat sensor this weekend.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
ideally, you want the IAT sensor in the intake track. like on my ttype, i drilled and tapped a hole in my upper intake housing and screwed it in there. those are *ACTUAL* readings it will see now...

if you have that option, thats what i would do.

x2

(having the IAT read 180* is going to play havoc with your tune.)

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Thats good that you know what the AC problem was. I would for sure see what you could do about the IAT mounting.

Also, Delco>Denso. :io:

Maybe they switch suppliers but i bought an AC delco that looked identical to Denso. The Denso that came in the delco box has been running fine even with race fuel. Also, the stock sensor looked like the Bosch sensor that everyone complains about.

So, when i bought mine Delco=Denso. Delco did them thing with oil filters.

Nick

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I don't understand how the IAT effected the a/c. I didn't have one in the blue car and don't have one in the red car and the a/c still works. The OUTSIDE temp sensor is what effects the A/C as far as i've experienced. Also, i wouldn't drill a hole in the i/c pipes to read IAT's. The tune is set to not pull timing no matter what the IAT reads so putting an IAT on the car will have no effect on the tune, nor provide anything useful to the car aside from putting a hole in a pipe for no reason. Car felt slow because of the a/c and the fact that you had 180° under hood temps.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I don't understand how the IAT effected the a/c. I didn't have one in the blue car and don't have one in the red car and the a/c still works. The OUTSIDE temp sensor is what effects the A/C as far as i've experienced. Also, i wouldn't drill a hole in the i/c pipes to read IAT's. The tune is set to not pull timing no matter what the IAT reads so putting an IAT on the car will have no effect on the tune, nor provide anything useful to the car aside from putting a hole in a pipe for no reason. Car felt slow because of the a/c and the fact that you had 180° under hood temps.

:dunno: I'm happy with the $12 fix though and if the iat temp is tuned out, I now have a new under hood temp reading to watch :rofl:

I bet GM uses iat temps to control the ac b/c I'm guessing that not all GP's (or GM's for that matter) have that ambient air temp sensor in front from the factory... I found this on it too: http://www.4s.com/Upload/Four Seasons/documents/Tech Tips/English/4S 385 GM IAT AND AC.PDF

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park

My tune has an "AC enable minimum IAT".... so yeah, def can have an effect

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info