🏡 Better Homes Need a Riding Mower - Where to Start?

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I just bought a place in the Peoria area but wasn’t able to visit it in person yet. It’s got a pretty good sized lawn and when I was doing the (virtual) walkthrough I mentioned to my realtor that I have a nice Toro push mower that I’ll be using for lawn duties. He recommended a riding mower. I hadn’t even considered it but now am thinking it might be a good idea to pick one up at the end of the season when prices are down a bit.

I grew up behind a push mower and have used them my whole life. I don’t have a lot of experience with riding mowers except using a few for people occasionally. I figure if I will get one I’d probably want one that I could put a snowblower on the front of to do the driveway as well. That’s not necessary but might be nice to have instead of a separate blower. Maybe it’s better to have a separate machine for snow?

Not looking for something new - prefer something that is used, reliable and will last. Parts easily available. Also not looking for a fixer upper or a relic. Something that is in the sweet spot of being a good used machine that will last a while.

What should I be looking for and how much should I be prepared to spend?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Drive shaft driven something. Early 2000s or earlier manufacturer built machines.

Try to stay away from vertical shaft belt driven machines.

There's a reason why there's such a following for the 1960s and 1970s Cub cadets and John deers... They just don't die, and most local part stores carry parts for them

Reactions: Z28Camaro

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
How big of a lot is it? You don’t necessarily need a riding mower, but you may need something with a bigger deck. My parents have a half acre and my dad has a Kawasaki powered commercial 48” mower he got when my uncle sold/lost his landscaping business 20 years ago. It’s been pretty bulletproof and really doesn’t take that long to mow with the wider deck.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I bought my current rider at the local auction. Paid around $700 IIRC. Worth over double that if it was new. Has worked well for several years now. I started it and ran it before I bid on it, of course. Oil looked OK. I changed the oil, filters and plugs and put new blades on it when I got it.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
How big of a lot is it? You don’t necessarily need a riding mower, but you may need something with a bigger deck. My parents have a half acre and my dad has a Kawasaki powered commercial 48” mower he got when my uncle sold/lost his landscaping business 20 years ago. It’s been pretty bulletproof and really doesn’t take that long to mow with the wider deck.
I’m guessing it’s somewhere between .5-.75 acres of grass to mow. I’m thinking a ZTR might be a good idea as there are a fair amount of trees to mow around and navigate. If I go this route obviously another piece of equipment would be needed for the snow.

Reactions: DanJ

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012

Yep just like that one. Except that one is way overpriced.
FB Marketplace and CL should have lots of good examples.
If you can swing a 455 that's the diesel version of that machine, they run forever.
This one would be a good one:

Edit - or this one, you can find decks pretty easily. With this you'd have summer and winter covered.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just got a 46" Craftsman from Facebook marketplace. My dad actually found it and picked it up for me as a house warming gift. I have a half acre lot with a lot of trees and landscaping features. A 42" zero turn would have been ideal, but just wasn't in the budget.

IMG_20220727_115535.jpg

If you want to take a couple hour drive north from Peoria, this is the guy I got my mower from. He's a scrapper and had a bunch of riding mowers in running condition. Mine needed a new battery, but otherwise runs great.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m a big garden tractor nerd….

With that said, my 318 is relegated to pulling a small trailer with a water tank for animal pens.

If you’re just trying to cut grass, get a zero turn.

Outlaw Outlaw nailed this.

garden tractors are neat.

buuuuut if you're just going to be out there mowing, buy a decent zero turn and never look back.

i fucking love my home depot special 42" toro zero turn. parts are easily available. kohler engine reliability. ive beat the fuck out of it the past 3-4? years and it just doesn't give a shit.

getting my yard done quickly is a priority and zero turn can do it so much quicker and efficiently.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
People go way overkill on snowblowers too. You don’t need a two stage self propelled with tracks on it. Single stage gas will handle everything but a freak storm. Even a foot of snow just takes some time with smaller bites.

yeah i have some fucking monster like youre talking about i bought used from a friend's family member that is super fucking overkill so that is also likely why i haven't used it in two years as well.

fucker's got a headlight and push button start if i remember right.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Electric start is nice, but I’d you maintain stuff it’s not a big deal to pull start in 1-2 yoinks anyway.

Big snowblowers are such a pain in the ass to use in anything less than a few inches. It’s a workout.
You can whip around in a single stage and they pretty much pull themselves into the snow too.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Electric start is nice, but I’d you maintain stuff it’s not a big deal to pull start in 1-2 yoinks anyway.

Big snowblowers are such a pain in the ass to use in anything less than a few inches. It’s a workout.
You can whip around in a single stage and they pretty much pull themselves into the snow too.

biggest thing is i hate storing it, i need to just sell it.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
No snowblower crew checking in. I could have used one last year but ehhh. The most snow we had was 6-8” and I just shoveled it in pieces. If I do get a snow blower it will be a small gas one. Also my wife is making it part of the chores for everyone to help shovel the snow so the SIL will get her ass out there help.

Reactions: LikeABauce302
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info