🏡 Better Homes Need a Riding Mower - Where to Start?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I bought my dad an entry level Troy Bilt 2 stage self propelled snowblower a couple years ago on sale for $400 around black Friday. He really likes it, but man that thing takes up some space. For the 3-4 times a year it's needed, it's really not worth tripping over it or it constantly being in the way the rest of the year.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
also on the topic of the snow situation Z28Camaro Z28Camaro, i haven't used my snowblower in two? years and im way north of peoria... :rofl:

Comedy Central Summer GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show
What do you got? Sell it to me.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One thing I will add if you decide to go the lawn/garden tractor route... Get the one with the most common, readily available parts, accessories, etc...

Generally that will be the Husqvarna built Craftsman tractors. Yes, I get that they aren't the snazzy JD's or Cub Cadet's with fancy shaft drives, hyrdrostatic transmissions, drive over decks (I do like that feature), heated seats, etc.... Rather simple, solid, durable and will keep running. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and pretty much any accessory you might want can be mounted to them being that they're the swiss army knife

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Jumping on board with zero turn and something else for snow.

I have a 79’ Deere 214 that I use for grass and snow. Eventually I’ll go zero turn and an ATV/plow setup for winter
As much as I’d like a nice lawn tractor I think a ZTR is in my future. Saw an old Dixie Chopper online and might go look at it if it’s still around in a month or so.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
FREE NINETY FREE 2-STAGE SNOWBLOWER CHECKING IN.

Ok, for realsies now, I need a zero turn. Or a ride-on, idgaf. 42" LT1000 is a fucking beast but mowing ~2 acres and guzzling 4 gallons of gas wasn't fun this past Sunday. Need me at LEAST 60" zero turn because fucking why not.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Bam. Done in 10 minutes.
True but He has tight 2 car garage, no shed, and shit tons of stuff. Takes him longer to move the cars and shit to get It out of the garage than it does to mow the lawn. ?

unless it can't get everywhere it needs to

he actually got rid of a flower bed so it would fit in the one tight spot. ?

NEILZVETTE

Aug 31, 2008
Henry
I grew up in Peoria, where exactly are you. The terrain can differ greatly in that area. I use a 60” brush hog that I pull behind my 4 wheeler to do my 5 acres. I usually can knock it out in about 1.5 hours. Being that I hate mowing so if I get to ride some form of motorcycle it makes it bearable. Plus my yard is hilly and the woods but up against the grass I can use it to “trim” the edges.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
BUMP. I guess I need a small rider or zero turn, finally acknowledging this is a bit too much to push. Leaning towards a rider. The slope in the back is about a 12' drop across a ~50' distance. It's not a whole bunch to cut, half acre lot and the house/driveway/landscaping take up a lot of it, but the slope is a killer.

Any manufacturer preferences, deere vs husqvarna? Those are the frontrunners right now and i was surprised to see husq wasn't mentioned in this thread

Contour and slope shown below, I'd really prefer to push the front given how curvy and tight it is but I don't want to keep two mowers and weekwacker. Grrrrr

dji_fly_20230409_112538_342_1681057545379_photo_optimized.jpeg
IMG_2948.jpeg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Deere, Husqvarna, or Cub Cadet.

I have a pretty similar slope on my property. I have 19.5 HP 46" Craftsman that's about 5 years old that I bought from marketplace. It does fine on the slope, but I think drive belts are going to be a regular maintenance item every couple years. Last year it was struggling up the hill, but now it's fine after replacing all of the belts a few weeks ago.

• Love
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Deere, Husqvarna, or Cub Cadet.

I have a pretty similar slope on my property. I have 19.5 HP 46" Craftsman that's about 5 years old that I bought from marketplace. It does fine on the slope, but I think drive belts are going to be a regular maintenance item every couple years. Last year it was struggling up the hill, but now it's fine after replacing all of the belts a few weeks ago.
I've been wondering about the HP for sure. Deere has 17 and 22hp 42" riders, husqy has a 19hp 42". Need to look up the max hp available in a hustler 34" mower.

I'll mostly be cutting the back side to side but it still needs to be able to go up/down the hills. The left side of my house in that top picture is a long run, probably an 18-20' drop across an 80' distance.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
heyyyy they have one with a 34" deck, I like that, didn't know that was a thing in zero turns. There's a dealer 2 miles from me

Briggs vs kohler engines, any notable differences there?
Briggs or Kohler are usually pretty good. I would lean more towards Kohler, but only because that's what I'm more familiar with.

Hustler does make a nice mower for the money. Imo, much better than deere and the others you see out front of the big box stores.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Briggs or Kohler are usually pretty good. I would lean more towards Kohler, but only because that's what I'm more familiar with.

Hustler does make a nice mower for the money. Imo, much better than deere and the others you see out front of the big box stores.
My bad, I went to the specific model that I'd get and actually it's a kawasaki engine.

1681309759224.png

Reactions: GTPpower

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
An update on my Hustler - I put probably 6 hours on it at most over 3-4 mows at the end of the year. The last mow I was mulching a few leaves and it was doing pretty well.

Was backing it into my shed for the season and idled it down because backing it up with the throttle cranked way up is kind of sketchy. So I look down at the controls after setting the stick to a high idle and the engine warning light is on. I put the stick back up to 80% or so and the light went off. Then slowed the engine down until the light started flickering on and then solid. I was pissed off and didn’t touch it again until a few weeks ago. I noticed a puddle of oil under it for the first time this spring. Up until then it never leaked a drop and I had probably added half a quart since owning it.

I gave the dealer I bought it from a call and they came out with a trailer on Monday. Started it up and oil was running out of it all the way on to the trailer. They have had it for a couple days now but no call. Not sure what i am in for but I bet it’s not going to be cheap.

• Sad
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info