My Turbo LS1 Trans-Am build

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Since I'm stuck in Vegas and my brother in law has the day off due to the weather he is going ahead and starting the break down of the car without me. :tear:

Oh well there will still be plenty of work for me when I get home, here are some shots. When I get in town we are going to wrap up doing the cam, heads and fuel pumps. I also probably will get those rod bolts in, gauges situated and tap an oil return for the turbo. Josh is getting the kit shipped out this Friday(hopefully :() We are going to try and get as much done so that when the turbo kit does come we can have everything else out of the way.

a776a16c.jpg

830bb7ff.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
More updates coming in.

More tear down was done today.
0da93410.jpg

Talked to Josh@KYTP. Got some pics of my kit on his fitment clip. He's still finishing up some bits and should have it shipped out at the end of the week. Tial 44mm wastegate + Tial 50 bov were a couple upgrades I'm getting.

Finally some shots
2644d076.jpg

1ef56a64.jpg

e7783603.jpg

How he's having the intercooler pipe ran is going to interfere with the battery so I'm going to relocate it to the spare tire area in the rear with a Taylor 48101 battery relocation kit.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Do u have anything to support the weight of the turbo?

I think it just sorta hangs there. There is going to be the intercooler pipe going from the bottom to that intercooler and then also the DP so that should help suspend it. From what I'm seeing in other peoples kits it just hangs there. Nothing is really bracing the turbo. One of those things that when I get there I'll assess it more. Eagle, hows it hanging:D

Here is another shot I got on my kit.
f2d1e09e.jpg

04f67fe3.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
You decide on coatings vs wrapping or possibly doing both?

I'm probably going to do just the coating. Best I can find is 1500 degrees from a shop that coats a good amount of turbo kits so I'll probably go that way unless there is something better that is somewhat local. Got a turbo blanket too. I know the foxbody guy was saying go with an industrial temperate grade coating, but I can't find anyone local that does it. I guess if it flakes off and f's up the turbo it's a perfect excuse to upgrade to a precision unit.:hsugh:

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So you plan to coat the inside of the headers and crossover then?

Seems to be common practice for this coater. Read good things about them through a GNX forum. I guess as long as if they are properly prepped there are no issues with the coating flaking off. I can't speak from experience though :dunno:

Eagle, do you recall if yours were in and out, or just out?

Junk86

I'm here now.
Apr 8, 2009
The silicon 90 scares me. Thats not a good idea. That never goes in a bend.

Looks like a 45, but I agree. I would NEVER put a silicon hose in a bend...your just asking for it to blow off. Also..if your crossover is made of stainless..prepare to have it crack if the turbo is not suspended. I don't agree with going stainless...I've seen way to much thermal expansion cracking. Stainless is a very fragile metal. Mild steel is MUCH more forgiving.

I'm not trying to shit on your parade man..the car should be fun! But..I don't want to see ya make mistakes that many others have made either. Thats never fun.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Also.....http://www.swaintech.com/

These guys are the best..bar none! for coatings. You can't get any better.

Marty, I have posted about Swain in many different threads in here. But everyone always wants to stay local for some reason.

F it, I'm giving them a call:bigthumb:. Plans changed just a little and now the block is getting pulled so I'm going to be out three weeks. I'll go with swain since they come highly regarded. Wish there was an equivalent closer, but having shitty coating is even worse than paying shipping for a better product. Don't feel like you are shitting on my parade. It's constructive criticism. Did you mean supported instead of suspended. It is just sitting there, but Josh puts out many of these kits in the same design without issue. As for the silicon hose, If I have issues with it, then I'll make a more permanent solution. My brother is a welder and takes payment in beer.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ask the kit builder if he can make supports for it. If not you can always have some one local make some. Even simple supports to the head, block or chassis (if solid engine mounts are used) can support the turbo well. I have one for my t6 frame turbo because it weighs about 70#. It bolts to the head and supports the full weight of the turbo. That way the crossover does not have to do all the work. That means no stress on the crossover, headers, vbands, etc.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
:run:

block is coming out?
It's just sitting there waiting to be plucked, I'm not driving it any time soon and tax returns were a bit better than I thought. Fast forwarding my build about a year. forged bottom end brother!!

Ask the kit builder if he can make supports for it. If not you can always have some one local make some. Even simple supports to the head, block or chassis (if solid engine mounts are used) can support the turbo well. I have one for my t6 frame turbo because it weighs about 70#. It bolts to the head and supports the full weight of the turbo. That way the crossover does not have to do all the work. That means no stress on the crossover, headers, vbands, etc.

I'm sure I can fab up something. Once I start to slap it all together I'll take a look and supporting that weight. Hard to do without having the kit and any other components in the bay.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It's just sitting there waiting to be plucked, I'm not driving it any time soon and tax returns were a bit better than I thought. Fast forwarding my build about a year. forged bottom end brother!!

I'm sure I can fab up something. Once I start to slap it all together I'll take a look and supporting that weight. Hard to do without having the kit and any other components in the bay.

Yeah, It is not hard to make a couple of 3/8" rods coming to the flange on the crossover of some thing like that. I don't have any great picks of my mock up using 3/8" rod or the final mount. But you can get the idea I bet.

You can see the bracket bolted to the front of the head here.
small_005_rh.jpg

You can see the 3/8" rods welded to the flange and head bracket here.
turbomock6.JPG

turbomock10.JPG

IMG_2141%20(Small).JPG

Sadly I do not have any pics of the machined bracket we cut and welded. It is a nice piece. 1/2" steel cold rolled steel plate. Supports the turbo real well.

Thread Info