My Turbo LS1 Trans-Am build

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
to 317 or not to 317. Well, either way I go I don't have to worry about not having either set of heads off hand :(.

They came in the mail today. My initial inspection is that they look to be in pretty good shape. Not sure what to look for, but I didn't see any cracks or major blemishing. They even came with some spark plugs!!! One of which broke probably during shipping. Not that I was going to use them anyway.

282e5af6.jpg

24010e26.jpg

Hey Brandon, I left you a message. Let me know when you have a time to call and talk about tuning my car and such.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Just spoke to Opal and going to get those heads machined at opal is setting me back some but the guy said that they tear them down and pressure check for cracks and all that good stuff. Yikes!! I think my wallet is in the home stretch, but may fall over and die at the finish line. :jg:

Oh well, all in good fun I suppose. Spoke to Brandon and feel pretty good about the setup. I'm probably going to keep the 317's. Might as well since I have them and the gaskets and what not. I will keep my 241's just in case I need to revert

Eagle, what headgaskets did you end up using with your heads again? I just picked up some GM MLS 6.0 gaskets for now. May go with LS9 headgaskets if I beef up the bottom end next year. When you finally got all your stuff and actually got started installing it was it easier than all the planning and ordering and tracking. I'm hopping once I got all my stuff this will just be therapeutic fun putting it together.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Just spoke to Opal and going to get those heads machined at opal is setting me back some but the guy said that they tear them down and pressure check for cracks and all that good stuff. Yikes!! I think my wallet is in the home stretch, but may fall over and die at the finish line. :jg:

Oh well, all in good fun I suppose. Spoke to Brandon and feel pretty good about the setup. I'm probably going to keep the 317's. Might as well since I have them and the gaskets and what not. I will keep my 241's just in case I need to revert

Eagle, what headgaskets did you end up using with your heads again? I just picked up some GM MLS 6.0 gaskets for now. May go with LS9 headgaskets if I beef up the bottom end next year. When you finally got all your stuff and actually got started installing it was it easier than all the planning and ordering and tracking. I'm hopping once I got all my stuff this will just be therapeutic fun putting it together.

@gaskets- I've got bone stock GM 6.0L gaskets in mine. No complaints.

@putting it together- that's where the fun BEGINS! I had several times I had to stop for a couple weeks to get info or parts together. Maybe if you're lucky it'll go totally smooth... but likely not. :D

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
@gaskets- I've got bone stock GM 6.0L gaskets in mine. No complaints.

@putting it together- that's where the fun BEGINS! I had several times I had to stop for a couple weeks to get info or parts together. Maybe if you're lucky it'll go totally smooth... but likely not. :D

Yeah, it's going to go about as smooth as a porcupine's ass.:rollpicard:

The interesting things are like what I'm going to do with the AC condenser. I do want to be one of the rare AC turbo setups out there in the fbody world. I'll see what happens when I get there. It's not a deal breaker, but would be nice to really keep it.

Thread Info