My personal experience with NOOOOM

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I started Noom mid February enticed by their cult-like tv advertising saying how THEY WERE DIFFERENT and it's not "JUST A DIET"

I've never considered myself "fat" but i had definitely gained the "covid-19" along with the expecting-father 20 last year. I'm 6-5 and in mid january i was around 250lbs :fy: holidaaaays ipa's and fuckin cake

in 2016/17 I had good luck with eating super low carb/aiming for a ketosis diet. i think i went from around 230lbs or so to i think 210lbs to be all picture perfect for my sweet wedding pics.

this january i tried to start it again, lost the 5-7lbs that everyone seems to right away and then "basically nothing happened". i was frustrated for sure- i was eating exactly how i did in 2016/17 when i lost the 20lbs and nothing was changing.

fastforward to feb and my buddy told me how much he liked nooom so i was like fuck it, worth a fucking shot. it's not cheap, but i almost think it not being cheap, kind of helped me, because i feel as if though i was COMMITTED. like fuck, this shit is $120 up front, i'm going to be balls deep into this otherwise i'd be pissed about what it costs.

feb 17th was the first day i started and now it's just over a month later and im 232lbs.

i literally forgot how to eat "well" and couldn't figure it out personally. I know many of you in this section will go "you derp, it's fucking easy, eat egg white this and protein shake that and then have whatever for dinner watch your macros and youll be fine you beta cuck" well yeah. im not that guy. i needed direction. my wife and i work almost alternating schedules so it's really like if im not at work, im having to watch our infant daughter, myself. so having time to really work out, is rreally limited, especially in winter months when it's so shitty to get outside.

from other people i've talked to, noom is quite similar in a lot of ways to weight watchers. different though in that noom categorizes food by colors and the colors are basically decided by caloric density with the thought to eat foods that fill you up and are low calorie vs high calorie foods. simple infographic of what im talking about here:

1616158111828.png

but the biggest thing is no foods are off limits. you just are budgeted to eat less of them and if you go over budget, that's fine, whatever, do better tomorrow. nothing is off limits- this is something that got tough for me with keto- i missed beer, bread, crackers, noodles, etc, all the things people of course miss that are carb-loaded. also, with keto, i got really annoyed if we were going to someone's house or a gathering or whatever and being like WELP GUESS IM EATING SALAD. now i find low calorie options or eat less of whatever high caloric dense stuff is there. but record it and keep aiming to do better. and again, everything im typing- of course anyone can go WELL DUH THAT'S EASY STOP BEING A FATTY, FATTY. but i really needed and could use the help.

along with recording food- you weigh in daily, you can record how much water you drink daily- i do, it's not required but it tricks me into making me drink more water. one silly thing that noom made me do, is drink less coffee, i dislike black coffee so i'd drink it with vanilla creamer, well fuck, the DABBBLE of creamer i was adding to my coffee was likely 60-80 calories of thunder each day. now i drink tea and don't miss coffee at all, and don't "need" the tea either.

next is each day there are "lessons" that basically go into what triggers us to eat when/how we do, what we can do to change that, how to get over binge or storm eating or things of that nature. i enjoy a lot of them, some of them are pretty mindless but for the most part, quite enjoyable. they are about 8-10 mins per day. i deleted all social media from my phone at this point and just go on noom when i have the "grab my phone, im not doing anything" times.

there's also a personalized coach for some people- i have one but some people don't. this part isn't too helpful to me, i dont like or enjoy GO TEAM GO style of stuff, i just don't care. ive got this myself, leave me alone- which leads me to the next part- which may be beneficial for others, but doesn't really help me much. but there is a group of people you're tied up with that are going through the same stages at the same times as you- a message board let's you post messages, how you're dealing, what you did differently etc... i don't participate cuz again, not really my jam. but for some, i know it has to help.

the one hugely inadvertent thing (and quite possibly the best thing that happened) with noom, is i am now drinking muuuuch less booze. the app made me a lot more conscious of just how much i was putting back and holy fuck... it was plenty :eek3:

i mean thinking back to december- before i was doing anything- just mowing down everything in my path, drinking whatever i wanted, best guesses is i was consuming at least 6-8000 calories per day without really trying. i mean slam 8-10 IPAs and you've chalked up 1800-2200 calories just there.

so yeah. i enjoy it, if you're on the fence about considering to do it, id recommend it. if you are super self motivated and know what you are doing wrong, and have the time/energy to just lift/workout/excersize, maybe it's not for you either.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Good writeup. I'm 6'1", and have typically been fit in the 180-185lb range. Over the last 3 months of Covid-ing (eating a lot and late, IPAs, bad foods), I ballooned up to 210. I've also had good success with Atkins/low-carb/keto in the past. I started Feb 21, and have gotten down to 198. Kind of plateaued there right now, though, over the last week with a few cheat days. With the weather warming up, I'm going to boost up my outdoor activity to burn off some more. I want to shed another 8-10 lbs which I think I can do.

The tough part about all of these is that we don't always want to do the lifestyle change that is necessary to maintain being fit and healthy. Noom sounds like a good path to get there.(y)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Good writeup. I'm 6'1", and have typically been fit in the 180-185lb range. Over the last 3 months of Covid-ing (eating a lot and late, IPAs, bad foods), I ballooned up to 210. I've also had good success with Atkins/low-carb/keto in the past. I started Feb 21, and have gotten down to 198. Kind of plateaued there right now, though, over the last week with a few cheat days. With the weather warming up, I'm going to boost up my outdoor activity to burn off some more. I want to shed another 8-10 lbs which I think I can do.

The tough part about all of these is that we don't always want to do the lifestyle change that is necessary to maintain being fit and healthy. Noom sounds like a good path to get there.(y)

very well put about the lifestyle change, for me it was almost inadvertent- instead of being like NO MORE BEEEER it was like ah shit i dont have enough calories left to chug another vanilla porter, and that change helped out a lot.

you sound like you may be motivated enough though and know what you need to do to burn off that 8-10 easily enough though.

i heard on the radio, avg american gained 28lbs during the rona :eek3:

found this:

1616163588135.png

1616163597973.png

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
i mean thinking back to december- before i was doing anything- just mowing down everything in my path, drinking whatever i wanted, best guesses is i was consuming at least 6-8000 calories per day without really trying. i mean slam 8-10 IPAs and you've chalked up 1800-2200 calories just there.

8-10 IPAā€™s and I have more problems then some calories. Goddamn.

giphy.gif

I range up and down maybe 20 pounds here and there. My secret weapon is my rainman like tendencies and laziness. If I get involved enough working on something Iā€™ll just skip a meal, usually lunch. If Iā€™m hungry but driven to finish something I donā€™t need to eat. Also I hate making lunch and would rather just be hungry until dinner. I suppose itā€™s a laziness driven intermittent fasting.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
8-10 IPAā€™s and I have more problems then some calories. Goddamn.

giphy.gif

I range up and down maybe 20 pounds here and there. My secret weapon is my rainman like tendencies and laziness. If I get involved enough working on something Iā€™ll just skip a meal, usually lunch. If Iā€™m hungry but driven to finish something I donā€™t need to eat. Also I hate making lunch and would rather just be hungry until dinner. I suppose itā€™s a laziness driven intermittent fasting.

:rofl:

at 250lbs, across a day of xmas celebrations with heavy eating, id feel sober as a nun :rofl:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Glad itā€™s working out for you man. Iā€™ll hit on a couple points that you made:

1. Being expensive. Spending money definitely keeps you accountable and more invested in making it work.

2. Tracking food. Also keeps you accountable and makes you aware of what youā€™re actually consuming. The whole ā€œwhatā€™s measured gets managedā€ idea. Same thing with pulling out a CC statement and crying when you figure out you spend $700/mo eating out and are ā€œbrokeā€

3. Someone else doing the planning or management of what you eat in terms of calories/macros. Taking hurdles out of the way goes a long way to adherence. Thereā€™s no walking into the kitchen and having to figure out how to make whatā€™s in the fridge fit your macros. After a while it gets intuitive how to eat and you can cut back on tracking

Health is one of the few things you should have unlimited budget for.

the whole program sounds like IIFYM, and someone else does the leg work for you outside of chewing your food. 100% worth whatever it ends up costing.

I pay a monthly subscription for an app called Hypertrophy Coach for training. Itā€™s almost like a personal trainer, except not 1 on 1. Guy is a bodybuilder who made the app. Sets up all your workout programming, provides a ton of in the weeds videos on everything from form, kinesiology, nutrition, etc. private forum where you get direct responses, place to log weights/sets, and so on. $10/mo thatā€™s it. Letā€™s me work out and not have to think about what Iā€™m going to hit today, keeps me accountable for progress.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
6'1 floating between 235-240. I just love pizza too god damn much. I've actually cut out quite a lot of shit and stopped eating like a total fat ass. The wife has already lost about 10 lbs and she's just been meal prepping/doing everything I did years back minus the exercise part. We have my sister's wedding in July that I'm standing in that I should probably lose a few for.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
6'1 floating between 235-240. I just love pizza too god damn much. I've actually cut out quite a lot of shit and stopped eating like a total fat ass. The wife has already lost about 10 lbs and she's just been meal prepping/doing everything I did years back minus the exercise part. We have my sister's wedding in July that I'm standing in that I should probably lose a few for.

and that's just it. you can still eat pizza. instead of mowing down a large 16" meat lovers, cuz i know you love the meat, get a tomato/spinach/garlic or some shit or don't eat the whole pizza.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Glad itā€™s working out for you man. Iā€™ll hit on a couple points that you made:

1. Being expensive. Spending money definitely keeps you accountable and more invested in making it work.

2. Tracking food. Also keeps you accountable and makes you aware of what youā€™re actually consuming. The whole ā€œwhatā€™s measured gets managedā€ idea. Same thing with pulling out a CC statement and crying when you figure out you spend $700/mo eating out and are ā€œbrokeā€

3. Someone else doing the planning or management of what you eat in terms of calories/macros. Taking hurdles out of the way goes a long way to adherence. Thereā€™s no walking into the kitchen and having to figure out how to make whatā€™s in the fridge fit your macros. After a while it gets intuitive how to eat and you can cut back on tracking

Health is one of the few things you should have unlimited budget for.

the whole program sounds like IIFYM, and someone else does the leg work for you outside of chewing your food. 100% worth whatever it ends up costing.

I pay a monthly subscription for an app called Hypertrophy Coach for training. Itā€™s almost like a personal trainer, except not 1 on 1. Guy is a bodybuilder who made the app. Sets up all your workout programming, provides a ton of in the weeds videos on everything from form, kinesiology, nutrition, etc. private forum where you get direct responses, place to log weights/sets, and so on. $10/mo thatā€™s it. Letā€™s me work out and not have to think about what Iā€™m going to hit today, keeps me accountable for progress.
Link to monthly subscription thing please. Would like to take a look

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I stress eat. And as of late, my stress levels are approaching critical mass. I need to lose weight for my wedding in 6 months but everytime I start, it lasts like 2 weeks and then I fall back into being a fat ass. Maybe I'll check this out.

that's how it'd go for me id kick ass for two weeks then be like BACON CHEESEBURGER TOTS AND BEERS GUESS IM OFF THE DIET

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Link to monthly subscription thing please. Would like to take a look

Itā€™s all bodybuilding stuff right now, the app is pretty new. Heā€™s working on a powerlifting program right now too.

heā€™s all over Instagram if you use that, and YouTube

I actually think FirstWorldProblems N20GT got me following this guy.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
that's how it'd go for me id kick ass for two weeks then be like BACON CHEESEBURGER TOTS AND BEERS GUESS IM OFF THE DIET
My biggest problem is that I travel for work and live out of hotels 5 days a week. So I'm essentially forced to eat out. And it's covered in expenses so I'm not exactly deterred from getting big meals.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Yeah, I've scaled back my IPA consumption dramatically. More Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite after 1 IPA, for example. :p
Bell's makes Light Hearted Ale, Goose makes So-Lo and Laguintas makes All Day IPA. All are around 100 cals, All Day is 98 cals and 4% ABV. I was looking for an alternative to Miller Lite, which has 96 cals, but I realized I just don't care for IPA's. For an IPA fan these are great low calories alternatives. I found Lagunitas to have the best IPA flavor, almost no watered down taste and the most ABV.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info