My personal experience with NOOOOM

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I hit 230 even today. pretty nuts. i have in the app that my goal weight is 215. again, i was over 250 in january, when i started noom on feb 17th I was 246.1 so in 36 days I'm down 16.1lbs and i feel great. the app has me a lot more active. i've got a fitness tracker watch to monitor my steps and motivate me to move more... it's all good.

one thing that i get really annoyed by is the colored food guide- some shit isn't listed at all, other shit has 3 different listings, all different colors. calories for even packaged items are way off.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
one thing that i get really annoyed by is the colored food guide- some shit isn't listed at all, other shit has 3 different listings, all different colors. calories for even packaged items are way off.

Yeah, a lot of things aren't on there, and a lot of things are way off. I normally google it to get a better idea and just add it myself.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah, a lot of things aren't on there, and a lot of things are way off. I normally google it to get a better idea and just add it myself.

yep yep. exactly.

but i keep thinking, bigger picture, at least im thinking about what im eating now and not getting a number 7 from mickey d's for b-fast every day, following it up with a french dip with fries for lunch, and capping the day off with a ribeye with hollandaise sauce, asparagus and baked potatoes. :rofl:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
yep yep. exactly.

but i keep thinking, bigger picture, at least im thinking about what im eating now and not getting a number 7 from mickey d's for b-fast every day, following it up with a french dip with fries for lunch, and capping the day off with a ribeye with hollandaise sauce, asparagus and baked potatoes. :rofl:

I'm still eating the same garbage, but just a lot less of it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm not sure the internal step counter works very well.

i think that's directly related to your phone or whatever step source it's seeing.
i was using my phones- i have an old LG V40 and it was shit- and also- i don't always have my phone on me.

i then got a samsung whatever-they-call-fitbit. for like $60 from amazon.
it worked alright but was pretty finicky it seemed.

now i got a garmin vivoactive 3 because i like that it looks like a watch. it's sweet. it works super well and my steps are syncing with it perfectly.

Reactions: Eagle

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
i think that's directly related to your phone or whatever step source it's seeing.
i was using my phones- i have an old LG V40 and it was shit- and also- i don't always have my phone on me.

i then got a samsung whatever-they-call-fitbit. for like $60 from amazon.
it worked alright but was pretty finicky it seemed.

now i got a garmin vivoactive 3 because i like that it looks like a watch. it's sweet. it works super well and my steps are syncing with it perfectly.

It doesnt support Samsung Health, which is the app my phone uses. I downloaded Google Fit so I'll see how that works out.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It doesnt support Samsung Health, which is the app my phone uses. I downloaded Google Fit so I'll see how that works out.

noom doesn't support samsung health you're saying, right? but you're still using your phone pedometer, correct?

i used google fit with the samsung band i had, google fit worked fine with noom.

the band just missed steps and would just stop reading my heart rate for hours on end.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I started Noom mid February enticed by their cult-like tv advertising saying how THEY WERE DIFFERENT and it's not "JUST A DIET"

I've never considered myself "fat" but i had definitely gained the "covid-19" along with the expecting-father 20 last year. I'm 6-5 and in mid january i was around 250lbs :fy: holidaaaays ipa's and fuckin cake

in 2016/17 I had good luck with eating super low carb/aiming for a ketosis diet. i think i went from around 230lbs or so to i think 210lbs to be all picture perfect for my sweet wedding pics.

this january i tried to start it again, lost the 5-7lbs that everyone seems to right away and then "basically nothing happened". i was frustrated for sure- i was eating exactly how i did in 2016/17 when i lost the 20lbs and nothing was changing.

fastforward to feb and my buddy told me how much he liked nooom so i was like fuck it, worth a fucking shot. it's not cheap, but i almost think it not being cheap, kind of helped me, because i feel as if though i was COMMITTED. like fuck, this shit is $120 up front, i'm going to be balls deep into this otherwise i'd be pissed about what it costs.

feb 17th was the first day i started and now it's just over a month later and im 232lbs.

i literally forgot how to eat "well" and couldn't figure it out personally. I know many of you in this section will go "you derp, it's fucking easy, eat egg white this and protein shake that and then have whatever for dinner watch your macros and youll be fine you beta cuck" well yeah. im not that guy. i needed direction. my wife and i work almost alternating schedules so it's really like if im not at work, im having to watch our infant daughter, myself. so having time to really work out, is rreally limited, especially in winter months when it's so shitty to get outside.

from other people i've talked to, noom is quite similar in a lot of ways to weight watchers. different though in that noom categorizes food by colors and the colors are basically decided by caloric density with the thought to eat foods that fill you up and are low calorie vs high calorie foods. simple infographic of what im talking about here:

View attachment 83816

but the biggest thing is no foods are off limits. you just are budgeted to eat less of them and if you go over budget, that's fine, whatever, do better tomorrow. nothing is off limits- this is something that got tough for me with keto- i missed beer, bread, crackers, noodles, etc, all the things people of course miss that are carb-loaded. also, with keto, i got really annoyed if we were going to someone's house or a gathering or whatever and being like WELP GUESS IM EATING SALAD. now i find low calorie options or eat less of whatever high caloric dense stuff is there. but record it and keep aiming to do better. and again, everything im typing- of course anyone can go WELL DUH THAT'S EASY STOP BEING A FATTY, FATTY. but i really needed and could use the help.

along with recording food- you weigh in daily, you can record how much water you drink daily- i do, it's not required but it tricks me into making me drink more water. one silly thing that noom made me do, is drink less coffee, i dislike black coffee so i'd drink it with vanilla creamer, well fuck, the DABBBLE of creamer i was adding to my coffee was likely 60-80 calories of thunder each day. now i drink tea and don't miss coffee at all, and don't "need" the tea either.

next is each day there are "lessons" that basically go into what triggers us to eat when/how we do, what we can do to change that, how to get over binge or storm eating or things of that nature. i enjoy a lot of them, some of them are pretty mindless but for the most part, quite enjoyable. they are about 8-10 mins per day. i deleted all social media from my phone at this point and just go on noom when i have the "grab my phone, im not doing anything" times.

there's also a personalized coach for some people- i have one but some people don't. this part isn't too helpful to me, i dont like or enjoy GO TEAM GO style of stuff, i just don't care. ive got this myself, leave me alone- which leads me to the next part- which may be beneficial for others, but doesn't really help me much. but there is a group of people you're tied up with that are going through the same stages at the same times as you- a message board let's you post messages, how you're dealing, what you did differently etc... i don't participate cuz again, not really my jam. but for some, i know it has to help.

the one hugely inadvertent thing (and quite possibly the best thing that happened) with noom, is i am now drinking muuuuch less booze. the app made me a lot more conscious of just how much i was putting back and holy fuck... it was plenty :eek3:

i mean thinking back to december- before i was doing anything- just mowing down everything in my path, drinking whatever i wanted, best guesses is i was consuming at least 6-8000 calories per day without really trying. i mean slam 8-10 IPAs and you've chalked up 1800-2200 calories just there.

so yeah. i enjoy it, if you're on the fence about considering to do it, id recommend it. if you are super self motivated and know what you are doing wrong, and have the time/energy to just lift/workout/excersize, maybe it's not for you either.

Deleting social media off your device is probably the single most healthy thing this move did for you, so congrats on that. I struggle to do so myself and often catch myself staring at apps and thinking "this is a waste of time" and keep right on scrolling for some reason... I think it might be to escape other obligations I've got in front of me... not sure. :dunno:

Second - BRUH - :ROFLMAO: I've known you quite some time and your ability to put away the beer and booze has always astonished me. I recall the good ol days of you and Devin stopping by with a rack and the three of us knocking it out before yall would take off. Crazy shit!

Glad you're seeing good stuff from this! I would have never guessed your max weight prior either! :oops: I do think we need a "Jackie Chan" WTF meme with KJ's face w/IPAs and Cake surrounding him on each flank :rofl:

• Haha

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Deleting social media off your device is probably the single most healthy thing this move did for you, so congrats on that. I struggle to do so myself and often catch myself staring at apps and thinking "this is a waste of time" and keep right on scrolling for some reason... I think it might be to escape other obligations I've got in front of me... not sure. :dunno:

Second - BRUH - :ROFLMAO: I've known you quite some time and your ability to put away the beer and booze has always astonished me. I recall the good ol days of you and Devin stopping by with a rack and the three of us knocking it out before yall would take off. Crazy shit!

Glad you're seeing good stuff from this! I would have never guessed your max weight prior either! :oops: I do think we need a "Jackie Chan" WTF meme with KJ's face w/IPAs and Cake surrounding him on each flank :rofl:

the biggest social media thing was one day i looked at how many hours i spent on instagram and basically went :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

thanks man. im loving it and yeah i dont think many people would have known i was 250lbs. being my height helped hide that well :rofl:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
noom doesn't support samsung health you're saying, right? but you're still using your phone pedometer, correct?

i used google fit with the samsung band i had, google fit worked fine with noom.

the band just missed steps and would just stop reading my heart rate for hours on end.
It allows you to use a different app as the source, since whatever Noom uses takes several hours to update, and is never in sync with the one that came on the phone (Samsung Health). So when I say not compatible, I just mean that it doesn't let me select Samsung health as the sync.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I actually really like the Garmin Connect app, I sync it with my Fenix 5x+ and am pretty happy with the results for tracking activity and health metrics. I can't wait for the 7 to come out this year... I told myself I would skip one generation because the 5 is plenty good, but I'll be damned if the 6x wasn't even better. Can't wait to see what the 7 comes out with!

I always felt like the Google and Samsung trackers were kind of garbage apps, really like the Garmin app better.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Eagle Eagle with your Garmin, can the app/website be configured to send out weekly reports to show what activity you've done? For example I have an older Fitbit Charge 2 and once a week fitbit sends out an activity report show steps/stairs/etc. The problem is that it does not include a LOT of the activities. Actually, it doesn't give details on anything but steps/stairs. The rest are lumped in with "hours of activity". I"m looking for one that will also report back how many miles i've done on the bicycle, since that's my primary source of fitness when it is nice out.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Eagle Eagle with your Garmin, can the app/website be configured to send out weekly reports to show what activity you've done? For example I have an older Fitbit Charge 2 and once a week fitbit sends out an activity report show steps/stairs/etc. The problem is that it does not include a LOT of the activities. Actually, it doesn't give details on anything but steps/stairs. The rest are lumped in with "hours of activity". I"m looking for one that will also report back how many miles i've done on the bicycle, since that's my primary source of fitness when it is nice out.

Yes, you can look at rolling week data from the app - no need to get a report sent. It rolls up all data points too, so no limited capability there. It will definitely be able to report on cumulative run and bike exercises too. Top notch exercise and health tracking. Some of these newer Garmin devices even have coaches built in to guide runs and bike rides. It'll push you to hit more steps and keep activity up too. Honestly, I can't say enough good about them. Battery life on the Fenix is insane too, like 6 days!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yes, you can look at rolling week data from the app - no need to get a report sent. It rolls up all data points too, so no limited capability there. It will definitely be able to report on cumulative run and bike exercises too. Top notch exercise and health tracking. Some of these newer Garmin devices even have coaches built in to guide runs and bike rides. It'll push you to hit more steps and keep activity up too. Honestly, I can't say enough good about them. Battery life on the Fenix is insane too, like 6 days!
Excellent, will have to look into them. Thank you for letting me know.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I know it's all bullshit water weight, and it's definitely not indicative of how things are going to go. But I already lost 7 pounds in just over a week. Just kinda shows me how over inflated I was because I was eating max capacity everyday.

It seems to be motivating me more than the usual "track my calories" apps. I've tried walking to dinner instead of driving (place like a mile away), or going on a walk to explore the area I'm staying in. I'm still eating like shit, but I'm staying under the calorie goal for the most part. I'll be interested to see if I can maintain it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I know it's all bullshit water weight, and it's definitely not indicative of how things are going to go. But I already lost 7 pounds in just over a week. Just kinda shows me how over inflated I was because I was eating max capacity everyday.

It seems to be motivating me more than the usual "track my calories" apps. I've tried walking to dinner instead of driving (place like a mile away), or going on a walk to explore the area I'm staying in. I'm still eating like shit, but I'm staying under the calorie goal for the most part. I'll be interested to see if I can maintain it.

I think that's what makes it work, they set the goal posts pretty high so you're fuckin trying... So even if you come up short you're doing way better than before without noom.

I'm like 5? Weeks in now... They're really focusing on sleep and calming techniques. One of their facts today was people who undersleep can consume 500-600 more calories than they should. Pretty nuts

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I started Noom mid February enticed by their cult-like tv advertising saying how THEY WERE DIFFERENT and it's not "JUST A DIET"

I've never considered myself "fat" but i had definitely gained the "covid-19" along with the expecting-father 20 last year. I'm 6-5 and in mid january i was around 250lbs :fy: holidaaaays ipa's and fuckin cake

in 2016/17 I had good luck with eating super low carb/aiming for a ketosis diet. i think i went from around 230lbs or so to i think 210lbs to be all picture perfect for my sweet wedding pics.

this january i tried to start it again, lost the 5-7lbs that everyone seems to right away and then "basically nothing happened". i was frustrated for sure- i was eating exactly how i did in 2016/17 when i lost the 20lbs and nothing was changing.

fastforward to feb and my buddy told me how much he liked nooom so i was like fuck it, worth a fucking shot. it's not cheap, but i almost think it not being cheap, kind of helped me, because i feel as if though i was COMMITTED. like fuck, this shit is $120 up front, i'm going to be balls deep into this otherwise i'd be pissed about what it costs.

feb 17th was the first day i started and now it's just over a month later and im 232lbs.

i literally forgot how to eat "well" and couldn't figure it out personally. I know many of you in this section will go "you derp, it's fucking easy, eat egg white this and protein shake that and then have whatever for dinner watch your macros and youll be fine you beta cuck" well yeah. im not that guy. i needed direction. my wife and i work almost alternating schedules so it's really like if im not at work, im having to watch our infant daughter, myself. so having time to really work out, is rreally limited, especially in winter months when it's so shitty to get outside.

from other people i've talked to, noom is quite similar in a lot of ways to weight watchers. different though in that noom categorizes food by colors and the colors are basically decided by caloric density with the thought to eat foods that fill you up and are low calorie vs high calorie foods. simple infographic of what im talking about here:

View attachment 83816

but the biggest thing is no foods are off limits. you just are budgeted to eat less of them and if you go over budget, that's fine, whatever, do better tomorrow. nothing is off limits- this is something that got tough for me with keto- i missed beer, bread, crackers, noodles, etc, all the things people of course miss that are carb-loaded. also, with keto, i got really annoyed if we were going to someone's house or a gathering or whatever and being like WELP GUESS IM EATING SALAD. now i find low calorie options or eat less of whatever high caloric dense stuff is there. but record it and keep aiming to do better. and again, everything im typing- of course anyone can go WELL DUH THAT'S EASY STOP BEING A FATTY, FATTY. but i really needed and could use the help.

along with recording food- you weigh in daily, you can record how much water you drink daily- i do, it's not required but it tricks me into making me drink more water. one silly thing that noom made me do, is drink less coffee, i dislike black coffee so i'd drink it with vanilla creamer, well fuck, the DABBBLE of creamer i was adding to my coffee was likely 60-80 calories of thunder each day. now i drink tea and don't miss coffee at all, and don't "need" the tea either.

next is each day there are "lessons" that basically go into what triggers us to eat when/how we do, what we can do to change that, how to get over binge or storm eating or things of that nature. i enjoy a lot of them, some of them are pretty mindless but for the most part, quite enjoyable. they are about 8-10 mins per day. i deleted all social media from my phone at this point and just go on noom when i have the "grab my phone, im not doing anything" times.

there's also a personalized coach for some people- i have one but some people don't. this part isn't too helpful to me, i dont like or enjoy GO TEAM GO style of stuff, i just don't care. ive got this myself, leave me alone- which leads me to the next part- which may be beneficial for others, but doesn't really help me much. but there is a group of people you're tied up with that are going through the same stages at the same times as you- a message board let's you post messages, how you're dealing, what you did differently etc... i don't participate cuz again, not really my jam. but for some, i know it has to help.

the one hugely inadvertent thing (and quite possibly the best thing that happened) with noom, is i am now drinking muuuuch less booze. the app made me a lot more conscious of just how much i was putting back and holy fuck... it was plenty :eek3:

i mean thinking back to december- before i was doing anything- just mowing down everything in my path, drinking whatever i wanted, best guesses is i was consuming at least 6-8000 calories per day without really trying. i mean slam 8-10 IPAs and you've chalked up 1800-2200 calories just there.

so yeah. i enjoy it, if you're on the fence about considering to do it, id recommend it. if you are super self motivated and know what you are doing wrong, and have the time/energy to just lift/workout/excersize, maybe it's not for you either.

I'm doing Loseit, I really like the caolorie tracking. You have to do that, no matter how much you hit the gym you won't lose shit unless you watch what you eat in my experience. If you track and are consistent it really works. I was at 244. I'm down 39lbs as of now, I got past 210lbs which was my initial goal and decided I could try 190 now. about September and was like "holy fuck, have to do something about this. I'm gonna be like Dennis Leary and unable to see my dick." It works but if it has the extras compared to Noom, I don't use them.

The booze is hard for people who drink, I never was a drinker but I have had enough people in my life who were. It just kills your motivation to go do other stuff too and instead you kind of just call it a day a few hours earlier than you should. There's nothing wrong with it in moderation, it's just that consistent boozing that's a problem. The coffee is also hard for people who drink it, especially when adding shit into it. I can watch my wife consume more in beverages than she eats in days. It's a wow thing to watch if you're aware of it.

I stress eat. And as of late, my stress levels are approaching critical mass. I need to lose weight for my wedding in 6 months but everytime I start, it lasts like 2 weeks and then I fall back into being a fat ass. Maybe I'll check this out.

Getting an app would likely help you. I didn't realize how much shit I was eating until I actually started looking at it hard. For me anyways it clicks in my head that "it's not worth it." I also try to avoid buying sugary shit if I can, not to say I abstain from it entirely I just control my portions if I can. I will admit there's just certain things I try to avoid buying (I have a weakness for black licorice) because if I do they're gone.

Social media is a time suck, isn't it? Keeps stuff from getting done. That's a long struggle, I'm always on and off with it personally. I've been trying to substitute in building stuff and time at the gym instead.

no im talking high school

that shit is long goonnne. :rofl:

No kidding, if I was doing this shit when I was in HS or College I'd be tip top.

My biggest problem is that I travel for work and live out of hotels 5 days a week. So I'm essentially forced to eat out. And it's covered in expenses so I'm not exactly deterred from getting big meals.

Travel meals are hard, I used to drive a lot for work and it's almost always whatever you can grab. I was walking a fuck ton when I was working at that point, it made it a lot easier to keep some of it off. I kept the eating part of the lifestyle a lot when I got out of field work, bam came the weight. If you have a high budget for stuff, more meat, more veggies less potatoes. I also like soup as well (I make a ton of it for weekly meals) depending on the kind it can be a decent way to eat something without it being a ton of calories.

Sounds like way too much salt or fast food. In my weight loss I've very much had what I'd call a "sawtooth" pattern. I'll lose say 2lbs then I'll gain it back, then I'll do it and it'll "stick." I just keep watching the trend, not the day to day stuff. I've been reducing what I eat and funnily enough I don't miss it. I think at the peak I was probably eating 2800ish calories a day. Knocking 600ish off of that wasn't bad at all, getting down below 2K is a bit harder IME.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm doing Loseit, I really like the caolorie tracking. You have to do that, no matter how much you hit the gym you won't lose shit unless you watch what you eat in my experience. If you track and are consistent it really works. I was at 244. I'm down 39lbs as of now, I got past 210lbs which was my initial goal and decided I could try 190 now. about September and was like "holy fuck, have to do something about this. I'm gonna be like Dennis Leary and unable to see my dick." It works but if it has the extras compared to Noom, I don't use them.

The booze is hard for people who drink, I never was a drinker but I have had enough people in my life who were. It just kills your motivation to go do other stuff too and instead you kind of just call it a day a few hours earlier than you should. There's nothing wrong with it in moderation, it's just that consistent boozing that's a problem. The coffee is also hard for people who drink it, especially when adding shit into it. I can watch my wife consume more in beverages than she eats in days. It's a wow thing to watch if you're aware of it.

Getting an app would likely help you. I didn't realize how much shit I was eating until I actually started looking at it hard. For me anyways it clicks in my head that "it's not worth it." I also try to avoid buying sugary shit if I can, not to say I abstain from it entirely I just control my portions if I can. I will admit there's just certain things I try to avoid buying (I have a weakness for black licorice) because if I do they're gone

Social media is a time suck, isn't it? Keeps stuff from getting done. That's a long struggle, I'm always on and off with it personally. I've been trying to substitute in building stuff and time at the gym instead.

No kidding, if I was doing this shit when I was in HS or College I'd be tip top.

Travel meals are hard, I used to drive a lot for work and it's almost always whatever you can grab. I was walking a fuck ton when I was working at that point, it made it a lot easier to keep some of it off. I kept the eating part of the lifestyle a lot when I got out of field work, bam came the weight. If you have a high budget for stuff, more meat, more veggies less potatoes. I also like soup as well (I make a ton of it for weekly meals) depending on the kind it can be a decent way to eat something without it being a ton of calories.

Sounds like way too much salt or fast food. In my weight loss I've very much had what I'd call a "sawtooth" pattern. I'll lose say 2lbs then I'll gain it back, then I'll do it and it'll "stick." I just keep watching the trend, not the day to day stuff. I've been reducing what I eat and funnily enough I don't miss it. I think at the peak I was probably eating 2800ish calories a day. Knocking 600ish off of that wasn't bad at all, getting down below 2K is a bit harder IME.

You know so the booze part is funny for me, because honestly it makes me focus more often than not and I wind up getting way more done. :rofl: I don't get it but if I'm mindfucked and lost and not able to focus, have a beer and BOOOOM here we go. :rofl:

and yeah, exactly. clicks in my head hardcore, not worth it, don't need it. just like simple stuff.... crackers and cheese before dinner at a restaurant. :rofl: shit just adds up.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info