My misfire from byron is a chunked piston

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Well it is too late to go out and buy a Cobra now, so the point is moot.

Blakbeard has been running close to 400 RWHP without major issue for over 4 years now on his stock bottom end 2V. With his block being built he should be seeing over 500 RWHP. Angus was at that HP level, but he was making a sick amount of torque.

Angus build your bottom end and boost the shit out of it.

Yup, +4 years and still running strong (knocks on wood). I don't think it's uncommon to make it that long on the stock bottom end. The only reason I'm swapping mine out is because I want to make more power.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
because for the 19,000 sticker price of the car.. he should have gotten an 03-04 cobra to start with.

Yeah, you find me a cobra where I could have walked away only paying $10k. I'm getting tired of you thinking I paid $20k for my car. Car was stickered at $20k, I traded in my blown engine sebring with 90k miles and my 92 crap box bmw with 200k miles on it. Then I negotiated price some more and ended up only paying $10k out the door. Which to me, was a fair price for a 4 year old GT vert with 28k on the odometer. I hope your reading and recollection abilities improve.

Blakbeard has been running close to 400 RWHP without major issue for over 4 years now on his stock bottom end 2V. With his block being built he should be seeing over 500 RWHP. Angus was at that HP level, but he was making a sick amount of torque.

I think that may be the winter plan.

:werd:

there wouldnt be a whole lotta difference and he may not want to spend the $ for a 4v...its a turbo car, they do damn well with heads that dont flow gobs of air.

teardown and inspect is the best recourse, the ring land is pretty brittle so it can get shattered pretty easily and the bits leave the chamber relatively unscathed, ive also seen em get pinched in the valve seat and have the valve head snap off the third startup after....

if your planning on havng to drive it around to move it for a while before repair ya might want to do a leakdown test before just popping in the plug and driving it. esp if you plan on reusing the block and other components.

i can tell ya first hand there's nothing worse than telling a guy that his sprayed 396 looks fine, all he needs is a piston, and then calling him 2 hours later and informing him his head is now junk.

I will do that, just need to find a compression testing tool...

Also, I drove it over 50 miles like this on the way home, think I would have cleared any debris that would have been in there?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008

:werd: except Kurgan said he was making more like 440-460 rwhp ..and with all that torque. Definitely not a big suprise. Oh well, here's to building it faster and stronger :bigthumb:

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
I thought he put down a little over 400whp.

i believe it originally dyno'd 417 rwhp but was having issues.

i bet it made 2-3psi more last night in the cold air.. so expect its making 30-50rwhp more then when i dynoed it

So that should be right at 450-470 rwhp

And that sounds right considering how our races went

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Hmmm...his traps looks a bit low for 450-470 whp. Doesn't matter now....Hopefully his car will be makin 500+wjp.

meh, yea--i dont know if he ever got off a great pass, though...and it is a full-weight vert. 114 mph isnt too far off for 450ish . The night of the races his car was definitely making good power. You could probably guess what my car will trap, and he didnt seem to be that far off.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I know of a junkyard packed with Teksid blocks nearby if you want to start with the strongest block you can get...you'll just need a good rotating assembly as the connecting rods suck in stock form.

05+ 3V block is stronger. I cannot find the article right now, but a few years ago Ford Racing stated this in either MM&FF or 5.0 mag.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info