3800 Made the Biggest Decision of my Life tonight.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
College courses are supposed to be sucky. Its not so much what you learn as the ability to show that you can make it through. All these years later no one askes me what grade I got in accounting 101, they ask me what degree I have.
I hated high school. Didn't much care for College even though I made some of my best friends there. But kept struggling to make it through. I wish I had gone for my Masters, I've seen to many people making a lot more than me that had no clue what they where doing, but had that 2 more years of school than me.
Also even though its cheaper, community colleges suck. Not learning wise, but relationship wise. You meet and spend time with so many more people and types when you go away to school. It helps you grow up and molds you into the type of person you will be for the rest of your life.

2000gtp

Regular
Feb 17, 2008
Omaha,NE
Hey i went to UTI graduated last year and went to the Volvo training program. i am now living in Omaha Nebraska for a job with Gorges Volvo. the basic UTI studys are ok if you know alot about car repair so i found it kinda slow to start but it does help you with diagnostics and fault tracing. If you go to UTI i would suggest trying to get into a manufacturer program or Ford F.A.C.T. because if you plan on staying in the Chicagoland area its hard to find a job. the region is just too full of tech grads from UTI, lincoln tech and all the community colleges. As for me im glad i went to UTI i couldnt do the regular college class shit ( never appealed to me) but i moved out here March 1st and its been nothing but great things!
if you have any questions let me know

as for housing Stonegate is cheaper if you dont tell them your going to uti.
tution is based on how early you sign up i signed up in july of 03 to go in june of 04 and it was 20,100 my buddy signed up in april of 04 and payed 28,500 also if you get into a manufacuter program and get a job with them you dont pay for the manufacuter training.

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
id say drive though cause ry people will be breaking into ur car and shit will get messed up
i drive from orland every day 32 miles and i burn .8 to a gallon of gas each way

but i do agree i can dignoios and do more eletrical thinking
like i said if this is what u really wanna do get the good grades and the attendance and ur done!

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I wouldn't go to uti unless you for sure plan on going to work in a dealer or go the diesel route . Uti is very expensive.

And they might have a job finder program , but unless you know somebody already that's going to hire you , the dealers know you have no experience . You going to start out at the bottom of the pay scale at a dealer .

At any other shop , they got you , and will pay you low pay cause no experience.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wouldn't go to uti unless you for sure plan on going to work in a dealer or go the diesel route . Uti is very expensive.

And they might have a job finder program , but unless you know somebody already that's going g to hire you , the dealers know you have no experience . You going to start out at the bottom of the pay scale at a dealer .

At any other shop , they got you , and will pay you low pay cause no experience.

listen close syp.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

And they might have a job finder program , but unless you know somebody already that's going g to hire you , the dealers know you have no experience . You going to start out at the bottom of the pay scale .

manufacture programs, diesel programs, and the "specialty" programs are where the actual job placement is... or i should say "Was" when i was there.

if you just went through the normal program, you best be something special like i was.. graduate with honers, be a teacher ass-kisser, ext.. but still their "job placement" is a fucking joke.

i graduated top of the class, and these mother fuckers try to place me at a oil/lube place that paid like 8.25/hr and only 30hrs a week... fuck, i was a manager at autozone in DG at that time getting paid more than that... so i told them to get fucked and i did my own thing.

its cool i got all my ASE's through the school and didnt have to do that on my own though.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I went to Wyoming Tech right out of high school , After high school auto 1 and 2 and vocational auto .

No job experience before Wyomimg tech other than oil changes at a Mobil and working in kmart sports/auto section. Lol

25 years ago .

Started around $6 an hour at every shop . Nissan was 5.50 starting (non union shop) . They're not going to throw you into journeyman work or know how , or book time , if you have no experience . You wouldn't make it for one , and two , you'd be taking work away from guys with years in..

Union shop at Nissan back in 1993 was $7.25 starting level 1 with every 6 months raises .

I'm guessing now the starting level 1 rate at a union dealer shop would be about $15 .

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
manufacture programs, diesel programs, and the "specialty" programs are where the actual job placement is... or i should say "Was" when i was there.

if you just went through the normal program, you best be something special like i was.. graduate with honers, be a teacher ass-kisser, ext.. but still their "job placement" is a fucking joke.

i graduated top of the class, and these mother fuckers try to place me at a oil/lube place that paid like 8.25/hr and only 30hrs a week... fuck, i was a manager at autozone in DG at that time getting paid more than that... so i told them to get fucked and i did my own thing.

its cool i got all my ASE's through the school and didnt have to do that on my own though.

Their job placement is a joke. I graduated in 2003 with similar honors and while going to COD, post-UTI, their "assistance" was putting a three-ring binder in front of me filled with oil change jobs. The manufacturer programs sounded interesting put they wanted a time commitment contract signed. Fuck that.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
If you don't think you can see yourself working in an office environment and you're not interested in anything else but cars you already have your answer. The degree thing is huge in the corporate world now though so if you ever changed your mind you'll be screwed. I don't know what time of money you're looking to earn or care about but you can never have too much LOL and a degree will definitely help you make more if you're a go getter. Maybe follow your dream at UTI but take a few college classes online once a year and push through it slowly.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I am sad to say that I went.. should of never went

Likewise.

I steer every potential student that asks me, away from UTI and the other tech schools. Worst fucking 20? 40?k I've ever spent, given you can buy your ASE books off Amazon for pocket change and grab a job as a shop bitch at any dealer, getting paid to learn while there. Any decent shop will have at least one line guy willing to take the FNG under their wing. Hell, I usually had two Obi-wans and two Padawans of my own, wherever I worked.

Also, Congrats [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION]! You a mekanuk nao??!

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
I really wonder that if w your current automotive acumen, you couldn't get into an intern program, i.e. at a dealership. As an example, BMW HAS A STEM program, while several body shops are looking for good people willing to learn collision work. No knock on UTI, but a number of these "vocational" schools don't do as good a job as some community colleges. ECC does a very good job in several technical areas. The DeVry's and UTI's of the world are part of the reason why many young people find themselves w quite a bit of debt.
Just some alternatives to consider.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info