LS1 Cam Discussion (2004 GTO)

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My goal is to go fast. If possible, I would like to be able to crack into the 11's. Not sure if that is doable without heads.

And speaking of heads, would it make sense to run a bigger cam on the stock heads?

To crack 11s in that heavy gto you will need more than just a basic cam install. Your going to need rear suspension, shocks and drag bags. A sticky tire.... Preferably drag wheels and tires......... Have you ever picked up a stock gto wheel and tire? It's a god damn piece of lead.

So I guess your recipe then is a large cam. Forget those 224 or 228s you mentioned. A high stall. Preferably 4000, rear suspension, sticky tire or drag wheel setup. Minor weight reduction. (Lose front sway bar, spare tire, maybe rear seats? For track only.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
33979100.jpg

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
To crack 11s in that heavy gto you will need more than just a basic cam install. Your going to need rear suspension, shocks and drag bags. A sticky tire.... Preferably drag wheels and tires......... Have you ever picked up a stock gto wheel and tire? It's a god damn piece of lead.

So I guess your recipe then is a large cam. Forget those 224 or 228s you mentioned. A high stall. Preferably 4000, rear suspension, sticky tire or drag wheel setup. Minor weight reduction. (Lose front sway bar, spare tire, maybe rear seats? For track only.

What kind of times could I expect from only the cam and stall?

The GTO is a street car that I would occasionally be taking to the track. Would any of this affect the street driveability?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
An example although my previous 04 gto was a stick

For me to crack 11's my setup was

maggie 112 supercharger, 205 AFR heads, custom blower cam (i dont remember specs), Kooks longtube headers and midpipes to open cut outs, rear koni shocks, drag bags, weld drag wheels, Skinnies up front hoosier slicks in the rear, LS7 clutch

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
What kind of times could I expect from only the cam and stall?

The GTO is a street car that I would occasionally be taking to the track. Would any of this affect the street driveability?

The stall will really help you where my previous m6 gto failed out of the hole. street driveability? I run a 4000 stall in the TA and it drives fine. Gas mileage is not very good but thats to be expected. The car actually shifts nicer with the stall than it did stock.

Times wise? if you just did a cam and a stall and slapped MT streets on your stock wheels i would say 12.6 in the quarter give or take.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Going with a maggie was your first mistake.

Agreed. I modded it early on though. This was way back in 2007. They didnt have the tvs 2300 and all the different systems out that they do now. Or at that time they were just starting to trickle out and they were rediculously expensive or required internal engine modding.

The maggie wasnt cheap but I also didnt have 7-8 grand for some of the other kits. I should have just left the nitrous kit on it like I had in the beginning...... stupid stupid stupid

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I believe the stock gto also weights about 300 lbs more than the f body give or take. When you are saying drag radials are you talking skinnies up front as well or simply just a radial put on stock wheels?

edit: Thats a great time btw for just those simple mods

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
since you are wanting to go cam and stall anyway. why not try out one of the large cams mentioned above, a nice sized stall shocks, and a tire. take it to the track see how it feels?

So... Cam kit, stall, shocks and bags, and MT radials.

Cam package 700 ish, stall 800ish, drag bags 99.95, shocks 248 dollars, tires 450,

Do the install yourself and bam done

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The fact that it is an auto with a potential stall will take some of the shock out of the driveline. I dropped mine at 5k rpm. (M6) it did probably 10-15 track passes on slicks. No issues.... and the car to this day is still driving around on that rear end and stock axles.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
They are not the best platform to go fast in, but then again neither are many others.

There can only be one 'best'. I prefer to think of the GTO as a cruiser. Good for sitting in front of in your lawn chair at the car show. LastLS1 knows how to do that!

I want a cam, but I am in it more for the lope than the go fast. Same with my LTs, it was about the sound. I'm a poser.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
They are not the best platform to go fast in, but then again neither are many others.

There can only be one 'best'. I prefer to think of the GTO as a cruiser. Good for sitting in front of in your lawn chair at the car show. LastLS1 knows how to do that!

I want a cam, but I am in it more for the lope than the go fast. Same with my LTs, it was about the sound. I'm a poser.

Haters gunna hate! lol I love my zero gravity lawn chair at shows. Old man status achieved

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info