Looking for some LS info

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 2004 Yukon XL, he's got about 260,000 on the clock and the motor blew (5.3) we are gonna replace the motor and trans. LS motors seem to be a dime a dozen used, so my question is what wiring/tuning issues would be run into if we went LS versus another 5.3 we are hopeibg to see another 100,000 out of the vehicle

lastls1

Reaction score
Are you talking getting like an LS1 which would just be a small step to the 5.7? If so everything bolts up. You should not even have to change the computer just have it tuned. Finding another 5.3 motor should be just as easy as well though.

The 5.3 is technically the same LS style block. The bore is just not as big. In my old camaro we ran an iron block 5.3 that was bored out and stroked to a 5.7.

lastls1

Reaction score
agreed. If this one did you really good. dont change it.

lastls1

Reaction score
Yeah stepping up to a ls1 or 2
What is the reason though>? Im guessing this is a DD veh by the miles. The 5.3 may be the most cost effective easiest option. No tuning needed after the fact. In a veh that heavy you wont notice the difference stock for stock

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
In a veh that heavy you wont notice the difference stock for stock
That's a good point. The vehicle is a kid hauler, we aren't looking to pull apart the motor other than gaskets. I just assumed an ls1 or 2 would be easier to come by due to popularity.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Popular = More $$$

lastls1

Reaction score
That's a good point. The vehicle is a kid hauler, we aren't looking to pull apart the motor other than gaskets. I just assumed an ls1 or 2 would be easier to come by due to popularity.
The 5.3 was more widley used by GM. The LS1 uses the same block platform but has different internals. Unless you found a complete assembled LS1 with intake and all for a steal price. I would just stick with the 5.3. Not sure if the 5.3 had the plauged oil consumption on high mileage vehicles like the LS1 did

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
No oil issues just blew a head gasket and flooded the motor with coolant. I think you guys are right. 5.3 it is

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
its not worth it, you probably should sell it to me blown up.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
He was considering the 4.8 not technically part of the LS family the Ls1 2 3 Etc
Exactly. I know its the same family but the 4.8/5.3 get forgotten when it comes to performance...for good reason too :rofl: but they make great budget builds

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd take the LS1 just for the weight savings on the aluminum block if you're keeping it N/A. Turbo I'd pick up a iron block and boost it till theres a viewing port in the block

HILROD

Reaction score
The biggest differences to swappers are the crank position and cam position sensors. Older engines are 24 I think crank wheels newer 52 I think, they can be swapped but crank must come out. The cam position were different depending on years. Last V.C.T. were used on later engines, which can be disabled, removed. Basically trucks are around a year behind cars vettes. Mostly same year engines will swap. There are other things that cause trouble, aluminum/cast iron blocks are slightly different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom