Looking for a tow vehicle - Diesel Edition

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
How much is a built 4L60? Plus 6 speed!

The place I have my transmissions done at, FLT over in Wooddale (Chuck);

A maximum performance (level 7 I believe) 4L65E, is around $4,200. This is $6,800 for the AWD version, and requires a lot of electronic modification, as well as driveshaft modifications if you go with the 6L90 because it is about 2" longer than the 6L80E, all to get 2 extra gears. I'm not knocking it, as if I had TCG stacks, I'd want to have the most amount of gears available. But I think that there is more cost effective, easier to swap options, albeit with 4 gears, out there.

As to why they blow, 4L65E's aren't known to be considerably strong transmissions when adding bigger power to them. Add in an heavy (4,300 pound) SUV, with AWD, and something's gotta give on hard launches. Usually, it's the front driveline, but...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The place I have my transmissions done at, FLT over in Wooddale (Chuck);

A maximum performance (level 7 I believe) 4L65E, is around $4,200. This is $6,800 for the AWD version, and requires a lot of electronic modification, as well as driveshaft modifications if you go with the 6L90 because it is about 2" longer than the 6L80E, all to get 2 extra gears. I'm not knocking it, as if I had TCG stacks, I'd want to have the most amount of gears available. But I think that there is more cost effective, easier to swap options, albeit with 4 gears, out there.

As to why they blow, 4L65E's aren't known to be considerably strong transmissions when adding bigger power to them. Add in an heavy (4,300 pound) SUV, with AWD, and something's gotta give on hard launches. Usually, it's the front driveline, but...

I thought the TBSS’ were a 4L70E? (Id never heard of that designation)

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You're concerning yourself over brass tacks. I just call it that because most assimilate it to that family. Most don't know there was a 4L70E and then an even bigger 4L80/85E. But they're all the same family of transmissions dating back to the old 700R-4. The main differences are obviously higher torque capacity ratings and small things (input speed sensor on the 70E's), but again, overall, they're the same family of GM Hyrda-matics for RWD vehicles. The 70 and then 80/85E were used in the trucks and some Rolls-Royce's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info