Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I feel like that trailer would manhandle a small crossover in a stiff crosswind

small crossover :bowrofl:

most the suv's he mentioned weigh more than most half ton pickup trucks :rofl:

q7 wheelbase... 117 inches.

regular cab 6.5' bed truck wheelbase.... 119 inches.

trailblazer ext wheelbase... 129 inches.

reg cab 8' bed wheelbase... 131 inches.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
small crossover :bowrofl:

most the suv's he mentioned weigh more than most half ton pickup trucks :rofl:

q7 wheelbase... 117 inches.

regular cab 6.5' bed truck wheelbase.... 119 inches.

trailblazer ext wheelbase... 129 inches.

reg cab 8' bed wheelbase... 131 inches.

I was referring solely to his Saab use. 113" WB, which is still longer than I thought. Still though, 30' is a lotta trailer.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Can I see a pic of this rig? I'm intrigued.

97x GVW: 6001#
97x Curb Weight: ~4750#
Tongue Weight: 10% of 5000#
Cap Remaining: 750#

That's damn close once you add passengers assuming you're at a true 10% on tongue weight

This is the setup. I’ve been dragging this along since 2011. I doubt I’ve towed more than 5,000 miles total since i tend to stay in the Midwest.

It has been to PA and there were some hills that it had a hard time climbing. I had to drop to 50 or so on the climb. All in all not bad considering the load.

I have a large trans cooler on it and the trans temps will climb to 230-240 under load which isn’t bad.

Prior to the Saab i had the long wheel base Trailblazer. The Saab has 3.73 gearing vs the 3.42 in the Chevy. A combination of gearing and a lighter tow vehicle makes the Saab easier to tow. I have a load leveling hitch and sway control. I’ve never had issues with this.

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_5113.jpg

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
what's your garage limitations?

Garage is 28x32 but door height is too low for an Excursion/Tahoe. An expedition may fit but i think that would be the limit. The long wheel base Trailblazer fit but it was tight with the work benches up front.

My wife is OK with me consuming the garage in summer but in winter I store the toys so she can use it.

I may have to grab a Tahoe for a test drive and see if it will fit. That may be a better option.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Garage is 28x32 but door height is too low for an Excursion/Tahoe. An expedition may fit but i think that would be the limit. The long wheel base Trailblazer fit but it was tight with the work benches up front.

My wife is OK with me consuming the garage in summer but in winter I store the toys so she can use it.

I may have to grab a Tahoe for a test drive and see if it will fit. That may be a better option.

YES!

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

that's got to be a touch of a low door you've got?

i think expeditions are typically taller than a tahoe also so you're aware.

2010 tahoe is 76.9, expedition is 77.4 from a quick google.

I was convinced my Expo wouldn't fit in my garage (height wise) but it cleared with ease. I can measure the height of my garage if you want.

Have you driven an Expo/Tahoe? They're big, but I never thought it was TOO big. Empty gas mileage won't be too bad, but my parents towing a 7000+ pound trailer were only getting about 11ish with the 5.4/6-speed combo. But power was never an issue. If you get a 15-17 EcoBoost Expo, you'll be able to tow pretty much anything you want, and it's SUPER comfortable cruiser.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was convinced my Expo wouldn't fit in my garage (height wise) but it cleared with ease. I can measure the height of my garage if you want.

Have you driven an Expo/Tahoe? They're big, but I never thought it was TOO big. Empty gas mileage won't be too bad, but my parents towing a 7000+ pound trailer were only getting about 11ish with the 5.4/6-speed combo. But power was never an issue. If you get a 15-17 EcoBoost Expo, you'll be able to tow pretty much anything you want, and it's SUPER comfortable cruiser.

Yeah I have a 7' door and my 3500 clears it

and i agree... they aren't "too big"... everyone rocks 5.5' bed crew cabs lately now anyways and those are a good chunk longer themselves.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I measured the height and I have 82” to the door which is more that I thought. The Saab is at 75” to the top of the roof rack.

This gives me hope that a Tahoe may just do the trick. I’m still going to have Barb test drive one and bring it home to check.

While it wouldn’t be a diesel it does cover everything else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info