Looking for a good machine shop...

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
...to get the heads ready. Any recommendations?

Spring seats need to be machined, valves and seats checked, and cleaned up.

TIA

Nick

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
This is where I would take my heads.

Hi-Flow Heads
Cylinder Head Hand Porting and Machining
Contact Mike Hally @ 708-396-0505
Alsip, IL

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
my buddy's dad has a race engine shop and is going to hook us up. Took the heads over on Sunday, the valves are ok and the heads are flat. He doubts it needs a valve job but will let me know if they do. we need to machine about 0.030" off each intake spring pocket for more coil bind clearance.

So i am good for now.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
TTT got the heads back together. Found one intake valve bent and it was replaced but now i have one intake leaking water when the intake runner in the head is filled with water.

Any advise? I am going to call the guys mentioned above to see what they say.

The machine shop i took them to, told me that all of the valve "suck up" or draw vacuum.

I found the intake valve leaking after i tore the heads down to add shims and i did not bother to leak test the valves first.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yar, I would send them out again and get a valve job done. After that I would make sure the machine shop decks them anyways because I will put all the money in my bank that those heads are out more than .005 from middle to end because that's the way it is. You should really find a reputable shop to do stuff like this (unless you can do it on your own) because stupid shit like that doesn't get done. Now you're out another week at least until another place actually fixes what's wrong like it should have been done in the first place.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
I dropped it off last night so we will see how it turns out. They are going to cut the valve to make sure it is straight and lap the seat or something else depending on what is causing the leak but so far they are going to work on that one hole.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
the head is done and my ass hurts a bit. perhaps i will post after i pick it up.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
yup, there was shim missing and the install heights on that hole were off. i am glad the intake does not leak but for the $$$ it should have been perfect.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
Never mind, i found the problem....me.

I measured install height on everything with one set of hardware, assuming they were all the same. turns out they are not. not sure if the variability is in the retainer or the valve locks yet as i am still trying to figure it out. so, my bad and i am sorry.

OP
Alacran

Alacran

GM fanatic
Reaction score
your not referring to a rotating retainer are ya? lots of sbc heads came with them
no, its a steel beehive retainer. i worked on the head some last night. its an art trying to get the right shim, retainer, and locator to the desired install height. I finished all but one exhaust valve because it was 0.005" too tight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom