Let’s talk camshafts: AFM delete but keeping VVT

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I picked a camshaft, what else do I need? LS edition

Edit: already picked a cam, check post #23

So my recently acquired Tahoe has a 5.3 LMG engine with e85 capabilities, AFM and VVT. It’s got 243 stamped heads as well.

I’d like to delete the AFM and keep the VVT. As far as mods go I’d probably just end up with some long tubes and exhaust (and probably air intake, maybe).

Really what I see out there is a few comp cam cams and Texas speed has 3 vvt cams. Not a ton of info about them power wise but I’m guessing stage 1 or maybe 2 at the most from TSP.

Anybody have any experience with vvt cams?

Last edited:

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
What kind of power are you looking for? For a starter cam in my truck I bought a used Comp Cam 212/218 "low lift" .525/.525.

It worked well, low to mid range. All you need is LS6 springs which you have on those heads.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yea I’d like to keep VVT, other than cost I don’t see a downside just upsides.

I’m just looking for more power overall for an all year round family DD. Broad power I think is more the goal than all down low or up top. Not going to be towing much and really just the occasional Home Depot run as far as hauling goes. I for sure felt the power difference from Chicago to Denver so I’d like to get that feeling back and then some.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5332-texas-speed-53-vvt-camshaft-package.aspx

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
The tsp cams seem the way to go, seems that most people go stage 2 for daily cars/trucks and are happy with them.

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
Always go bigger than you think if you want that extra performance.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score

I’m just looking for more power overall for an all year round family DD. Broad power I think is more the goal than all down low or up top. Not going to be towing much and really just the occasional Home Depot run as far as hauling goes. I for sure felt the power difference from Chicago to Denver so I’d like to get that feeling back and then some.

Perfect

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I'll get you some replies tomorrow. Threads like these are why I keep the Fb group active.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Barely, I should make a thread on it. It’s a ‘12 with 132k (now) bought it with 106k I believe. 11k or maybe it’s 12k hours.. lol. Maybe I’ll just do that tomorrow!
that engine HAD to be replaced at least once.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score

Maybe I'm not reading it because I'm dense sometimes, but I don't see any mention of AFM delete on that kit.

Here is one I found;
https://www.amsracing.net/collections/gm-afm-dod-kits/products/have-one-to-sell-sell-now-details-about-2007-2011-gm-chevy-5-3l-afm-dod-delete-kit-camshaft-gasket-set-arp-bolts-lifters

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
that way hes not buying camshafts that wont be used.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I was under the presumption that he wanted to do an aftermarket grind cam though. One that ran without AFM but kept the VVT end caps (or whatever they call the mechanism at the end of those cams that facilitates it).

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
I was under the presumption that he wanted to do an aftermarket grind cam though. One that ran without AFM but kept the VVT end caps (or whatever they call the mechanism at the end of those cams that facilitates it).
correct. your link was for factory gm non dod cams included and was +$600. my link, no cams included, ie. pick your performance cam and have fun+$200.00.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
The cam itself is for AFM delete but keeps vvt and would be purchased along with their AFM delete kit which is $225. I spoke with Texas speed and they suggested their stage 2 vvt 5.3 cam which is 216/220 and .600 lift both intake and exhaust for what I plan on doing.

I know comp cams makes some vvt cams but haven’t looked much.

I was also going to call a few shops and ask because I’d like to get a tune locally. Not familiar with any around so will need to research that as well.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
So back to this instead of a new thread, wtf do I need with a camshaft install besides gaskets, cam phaser limiter and AFM delete kit?

Do I need pushrods? Seems like 7.4” is normal length for an engine that hasn’t been apart/milled/decked. Are stock ones shit?

Do I need springs? Dual or single? If I go full kit from Texas speed it’s got single springs.

Here’s the kit again, stage 2 vvt cam 212/218, .600”/.600” lift and 112LSA

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you need pushrods, I’d definitely just use the springs in the Texas speed kit.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
.600 is decent lift, you might wanna consult on that. With my .630 lift I believe I went with 3.800"

It's been a while (almost 6 years)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom