🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Tree removal can be inexpensive if you're paying cash.

Parents just had two huge trees cut out of their yard because of squirrels burrowing into them, and it was like $2500 for both trees, grind stumps, and they also cleared out a bunch of other stumps and growth in the yard while they were there.....

View attachment 86419

Highest quote was $2600 and the lowest so far is $1400. That’s to cut down, haul away and grind down the stump. I’m going to see if I can get the $1400 guy down and going to start with $1100 cash.

Reactions: FESTER665

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Did your overseed ever take off? Starting grass from seed is kind of pain with the having to keep it wet constantly for however long it takes to germinate. With all those tree roots it seems like water would be the big issue until you get the root system really deep.

Not that I can see. I aerated a month after I applied Tenacity and overseed with good quality seed (not big box stuff). Ironically I have growth coming up in between the paver cracks as the seeds were probably blown on the patio a bit when I was cleaning up leaves.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Any thoughts or recommendations?

First photo is what is spreading around the back yard.

The second photo is an area that I haven’t been able to get grass to grow for the last decade. Tried many things, tilling in new soil and compost, treating it, sod, nothing works.

6049E96B-6B5D-4852-9827-4994E3649F8F.jpeg

0A194EEE-97D6-491F-AB67-12C0E33E250C.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

The second photo is an area that I haven’t been able to get grass to grow for the last decade. Tried many things, tilling in new soil and compost, treating it, sod, nothing works.

View attachment 86436

View attachment 86437

First photo looks a lot like the snow mold I had going on. A light raking cleared most of mine up.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Not that I can see. I aerated a month after I applied Tenacity and overseed with good quality seed (not big box stuff). Ironically I have growth coming up in between the paver cracks as the seeds were probably blown on the patio a bit when I was cleaning up leaves.

Soil test maybe? Perhaps you have some crazy PH imbalance back there. I was going to do one this spring, but didn’t really have a set program last year. I just Willy nilly through shit down and tried stuff I saw on YouTube videos. Had pretty good results, but neglected to water in the heat of summer and fried my front yard pretty good.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

View attachment 86436

View attachment 86437

Slit seed the yard and straw blanket the troubled spots. I did that for a member here on Monday. Slit seed, straw blanketing and a starter fertilizer.

1777920D-3B2D-47D3-BACF-AD8F07B9450E.jpeg

3DB50845-C465-4B8C-9E8A-03AEB2E50C28.jpeg

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I mowed the lawn for the first time today.

I couldn't help but notice all of the dandelions were low-riders. I was set low as my mower goes - first couple of cuts are extra low and then I raise the deck 2 or 3 slots for the rest of the season.

Flowers were tucked in tight, didn't cut many at all.

Milhouse

Addict
Jan 5, 2017
4th cut this season.
I have a pull behind sweeper that I used to use after every cut. It really pulled up the dead stuff over the years. It helped so much.
Now I have a newer JD tractor with a mulch deck.

The back yard gets zero treatment besides spot weed b gon while I’m mowing and see something.

Front yard looks like crap! [emoji1787]

IMG_1388.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Did the 4th cut(?) on the lawn above yesterday, and the tractor again, had a tough time getting through it. That was only 1 weeks worth of growth and a clean deck and it was still working hard. Thank heavens I have those gator blades in place of the standard mulching blades.

This yard is so thick, green and plush.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've been diagnosing my backyard because it's not popping like my neighbors' and I believe I have hard, compacted soil. I had construction work last year on the house, which required heavy equipment and lots of foot traffic. When I raked the last few days, I raked up clouds of dirt, and the backyard is all bumpy - not new, it's always been like that since purchasing 3 years ago. Last year, I did core aeration i the spring, and liquid aeration in the fall because I sodded 1/3 of the yard and they didn't want to core aerate until the roots have planted; overseeded both seasons too.

Anyway, this spring, there are a ton of weeds and thin grass, plus high and low spots of spotty grass growth. So the plan is to core aerate, overseed and then start laying down topsoil to see if that helps give the grass more of a chance; I haven't gotten a quote to topsoil the whole yard, but was scared off by internet quotes so will lay down a few bags at a time.

I'm curious how often I should core aerate to break up the compacted soil. More than once in the spring and fall?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I've been diagnosing my backyard because it's not popping like my neighbors' and I believe I have hard, compacted soil. I had construction work last year on the house, which required heavy equipment and lots of foot traffic. When I raked the last few days, I raked up clouds of dirt, and the backyard is all bumpy - not new, it's always been like that since purchasing 3 years ago. Last year, I did core aeration i the spring, and liquid aeration in the fall because I sodded 1/3 of the yard and they didn't want to core aerate until the roots have planted; overseeded both seasons too.

Anyway, this spring, there are a ton of weeds and thin grass, plus high and low spots of spotty grass growth. So the plan is to core aerate, overseed and then start laying down topsoil to see if that helps give the grass more of a chance; I haven't gotten a quote to topsoil the whole yard, but was scared off by internet quotes so will lay down a few bags at a time.

I'm curious how often I should core aerate to break up the compacted soil. More than once in the spring and fall?

Not the end all / be all cure, but consider if Gypsum may also be helpful with your situation and ongoing health of your lawn.

Reactions: Bru

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

I need to do a soil test next spring. My front and back yards are coming back pretty strong besides some spots that got hit by snow mold. I really haven’t heard of anyone getting aeration more than twice a year. What are you using for liquid aeration? I have some simple lawn solution stuff I used this spring and part of last year, but I see green county/N-EXT has a similar product with humic acid in it that I’ll try next. I’m doing the whole N-EXT bio stimulant program this year with their Humic 12, Root growth stimulator, and microGreene micronutrient stack. It was about $110 for everything but will last all year and into next year on my 4200 square foot lawn for now.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I need to do a soil test next spring. My front and back yards are coming back pretty strong besides some spots that got hit by snow mold. I really haven’t heard of anyone getting aeration more than twice a year. What are you using for liquid aeration? I have some simple lawn solution stuff I used this spring and part of last year, but I see green county/N-EXT has a similar product with humic acid in it that I’ll try next. I’m doing the whole N-EXT bio stimulant program this year with their Humic 12, Root growth stimulator, and microGreene micronutrient stack. It was about $110 for everything but will last all year and into next year on my 4200 square foot lawn for now.

I had the company that fertilizes do the liquid aeration. They said it’s some proprietary stuff. Who knows. What I’d like is for someone to come tell me what’s wrong and then fix it :rofl: But two companies I do services with just wanted to throw the book at it without really diagnosing.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

I had the company that fertilizes do the liquid aeration. They said it’s some proprietary stuff. Who knows. What I’d like is for someone to come tell me what’s wrong and then fix it :rofl: But two companies I do services with just wanted to throw the book at it without really diagnosing.

Id have to look and see what soil tests I’ve seen recommended, but I believe your county extension office does them as well. Here is a list of labs that does them, maybe could reach out to your counties extension office and see if there is anything close. The stupid probe to pull the soil sample is at minimum $30 for a tool I’ll use at most once every couple years so that’s what has turned me off from it.

Reactions: Bru

Thread Info