🏡 Better Homes Lawn Lords and Garden Gentlemen

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
that's a good portion of why I went with GCI's Cool Blue, almost 15% KBG to help fill in overtime.

1617899302706.png

THOR: (Tall fescue) Top-rated variety due to its excellent color, density, green-up, and disease resistance. Thor has shown resistance to Brown Patch and Pythium Blight. Thor has an exceptional dark green color, rated high in genetic and winter color. Aggressive tillering and excellent spring green-up makes it a great application for home lawns, parks, sod production, sports fields, and commercial properties

BLACK TAIL: (Tall fescue) This variety provides superior density throughout the growing season in all parts of the US due to its aggressive tillering ability which also helps repair damaged areas of turf. Black Tail is a solid overall performer in traffic stress trials, fine leaf texture, and brown patch resistance. Black Tail’s aggressive tillering characteristic contributes to its dense, lush canopy.

FALCON IV: (Tall fescue) Falcon IV is a new and improved, heat and disease resistant, tall fescue variety developed for superior turf quality across a wide area of adaptation. It is dark green in color, fine textured with excellent wear tolerance. Falcon IV exhibits a unique combination of traits including dense growth, improved turf quality, and resistance to brown patch. Falcon IV is endophyte-enhanced tall fescue.

MIDNIGHT: (KBG) A unique Kentucky Bluegrass cultivar that produces a dense, fine leaf turf with dark green color and superior disease resistance. It also provides a dark green color, fine to medium leaf texture, and excellent density during the growing season. Midnight mixes well with other Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial ryegrass, fine fescue, and tall fescue

Reactions: The Beast and DanJ

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Something else for me to obsess about. My neighbor is also a lawn psychopath and doing a real similar program so it’s not like I can really stunt on him. Going to do a foliar spray fertilizer with iron in it come summer time to get him on the darkness.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Something else for me to obsess about. My neighbor is also a lawn psychopath and doing a real similar program so it’s not like I can really stunt on him. Going to do a foliar spray fertilizer with iron in it come summer time to get him on the darkness.

grab a handfull and chuck em on over.

:s00ls:

house we're buying i guess the dude is a "lawn psychopath" im concerned dude's gonna show back up if i don't tend to his former yard perfectly.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The rain was good to me. Need to figure out dog spots. It's never been this bad before and then repair around kids swing set. I know perfection is a pipe dream but I can try

View attachment 85654

Is the dog a female? My female kills lawn where she pisses and the male grows lawn where he pisses.... Need to train him to wait to piss where she does to offset them or something. :bowrofl:

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Previous owners did no yard maintenance so the yard is full of dandelions.

This is my second year of Scott’s Weed & Feed and still a yard full of dandelions.

Need a new solution besides rip and replace with AstroTurf.
Scott's helps knock it down. But to really get it all I need to walk the lawn and spray each plant that survived.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Best way to get rid of them, pick them out...

I've wore through three of these;

Shove it in to the center of the undandelion, rock the tool back on that foot, the claws come together, and POP... Out at the root.

I have this. It's fantastic. Can work through stuff really quickly.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Is the dog a female? My female kills lawn where she pisses and the male grows lawn where he pisses.... Need to train him to wait to piss where she does to offset them or something. :bowrofl:
Male GSD. Might have to cut back on his beer intake

Also ran out and did the first mow. Let it rain

PXL_20210408_230605581.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
My backyard looks like crap. It’s always been a challenge due to shade and the Norway maple roots are shallow and soak up moisture. I’ve done just about everything from aerate, overseed, Milo, etc.

Last fall I put down some Tenacity as I was told that I had creeping bent grass. It appears to have killed it off, but my yard looks like crap. So I am at a crossroads.

My first plan of attack is to remove one of the Norway maple trees to help the grass “win”vs the maple roots. Trees are expensive to remove and grind by the way.

Once that’s done, I need to make a decision. Do I seed and pray that I can get growth or do I just say FU to my existing lawn and lay down new sod?

Lawn gentlemen assemble...and give me your thoughts.
ED27C99A-D930-4606-A69F-4A624FCC38CA.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Did your overseed ever take off? Starting grass from seed is kind of pain with the having to keep it wet constantly for however long it takes to germinate. With all those tree roots it seems like water would be the big issue until you get the root system really deep.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My backyard looks like crap. It’s always been a challenge due to shade and the Norway maple roots are shallow and soak up moisture. I’ve done just about everything from aerate, overseed, Milo, etc.

Last fall I put down some Tenacity as I was told that I had creeping bent grass. It appears to have killed it off, but my yard looks like crap. So I am at a crossroads.

My first plan of attack is to remove one of the Norway maple trees to help the grass “win”vs the maple roots. Trees are expensive to remove and grind by the way.

Once that’s done, I need to make a decision. Do I seed and pray that I can get growth or do I just say FU to my existing lawn and lay down new sod?

View attachment 86417
My backyard started to look like this towards the end of last season and I have no idea why. Trees aren't close enough to disturb the grass's roots, and I did a fair amount of watering. I have a large area that needs to be cleaned up that's all spotty, and have no idea how or where to start.

Would like to get the whole thing detatched again, but haven't seen any locals advertising the service.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

View attachment 86417

Tree removal can be inexpensive if you're paying cash.

Parents just had two huge trees cut out of their yard because of squirrels burrowing into them, and it was like $2500 for both trees, grind stumps, and they also cleared out a bunch of other stumps and growth in the yard while they were there.....

235treeremoval.jpg

Thread Info