Keeping Interest in Cars

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I think a combo of both of these might be happening. Like I had no problem feeling comfortable enough putting the blower on my 2018 Mustang. And for the most part, it went in just fine. Couple issues here and there but nothing major. Then with my project, I get discouraged on something simple like door panels. And it's not that I'm not capable, I've probably replaced every part there is on a fox 2-3 times in the past. Just maybe think there is so much to do with the car it's a little overwhelming.

I've tried to set goals for the car but I keep changing my mind on the direction to go with it. Too much planning, not enough execution. And I finally have enough funding to build a project, but now I either don't have the time or don't feel like working on it. Then I go through the "sell everything and get a fun driver." it's a roller coaster.

COTA is not far from you, bmw has a day coming up - Advanced/Solo D.E. at COTA - Houston BMW CCA

e-mail them and they'll probably say you can come on down, bring (or rent) a helmet and maybe pay $10 to get in or something (never been there) and you can see what it is like to experience a few laps as a passenger with whoever they let you sit next to. all i really care about for my own car at this point is that it is reliable enough to take a good beating.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Motivation is super hard to get going once you find yourself in a tough spot, but that's what forums are for. You got a problem? Post it up?

Luckily for me my guy that I bought 75% of my swap parts from was a text away and knew everything.

Planning is huge too. It was a little over a month away from tcgt17 when I tossed the car on Jack stands and performed a full repower with manual trans addition. Got it done 3 days prior to tour, learned manual trans(somewhat) and took it 1000 miles.... I had planned it all right, even when I got put back a full week cause I didn't intend on opening up the trans.....

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I’m super excited to learn something new having the Supra and doing the t56 swap is going to be a lot of fun especially now that I have a lift to make it easier. Working on the cars has been a lot better with the lift but having limited time to do anything due to having kids is tough although coming out to the garage for a few minutes to wrench without having to crawl under a car makes it doable.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I think what’s happened to me is I fell in love with traveling and I have found it much more rewarding than spending thousands of dollars on a car to go fast, but I’m sure I’ll get back into it at some point
I'm definitely in that boat a little bit. Time off dictates thay I can only travel once a year, but I try to take a week to go somewhere. I feel that can be pretty affordable though. My trip to Italy last year cost me maybe $2500 all said and done, I was there for a week. I can barely put 1 mod on my 2018 for that price.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My issue has become... Time. I just don't have it. Even to do repairs.

Suburban chunked the starter yesterday morning. Normally I would have one out/in in 30 minutes on a Vortec 5700 (did many over the years in service as they were notorious for getting froze up), however, it's stuck out in the court, there is snow/ice/water on the ground under it, and I'm working 24/7 for Sears as well as a second job and trying to clean out and fix up an old house, the no time shit enters the picture.

So tomorrow it gets towed and fixed.

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
what I find interesting about this thread is I sort of have the opposite problem. Twice now I've tried to give up "cars". Selling fun cars to buy something more pedestrian in pursuit of other hobbies. It never works. I keep coming back :( That being said, I don't "do" car repair or modification. I just drive and track my cars. Anytime I had anything that became overly-project-esque I got rid of the car.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
With a toddler I don’t even have time to wash my car let alone mod it or do anything else for that matter. I got a family truckster with some style that’s safe for him and anything I’ve done to it has been pretty much out of necessity. Once he gets older I’ll be showing up to walk around Cars and Coffee since it’s close and we’ll go to a few shows where I know people that have cars in it but that’s about it. It’s an Escalade, it doesn’t need to be louder, faster and especially more unreliable.
I haven’t lost interest in cars but “adult” decisions had to be made and mod money is better suited going towards home improvements, stuff for my son or family trips and what little spare time I have I’d rather be spending with my family right now. I still check out cars I’d like to have and dream of something sporty or fun but it has to wait it’s turn if that turn ever comes around.

When I’m on my death bed I’m not going wish I spent more time or money on a car.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Time is a factor. Working a lot of OT and having a busy social life knocks down the motivation to do actual work on my crown vic outside of keeping it running as my winter beater. The GFs car and my SS take up all the garage space too.
Then during the summer i drive my SS and that's all the car i really need. But i bought a Honda GL1100 last fall and plan on using that as my wrenching project.
Keep the jobs small, easy to handle in a few hours, doesn't take up a ton of room and I'm learning how to fix a motorcycle/be a safe rider as a new challenge.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I still love cars, but the desire to work on them has subsided. The Daily shitboxes I've been driving and fixing aren't helping. My truck is rusting and is having more problems.

I think if I can get into the project Camaro it'll help. My only goal for it to be a tamer [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] T/A

dlaude6

Regular
Mar 27, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Yep I've hit that point as well, OP. Back when I was in my mid/late 20s, lived at home, and was single, I didn't mind wrenching on my cars. Started getting meh about working on cars close to 30. Met a girl and we started traveling and I spent a lot of time with her. Fast forward to today, in my mid 30s with plenty of things that occupy much of my time, but I still have some free time. But I'm still meh about doing my own work. I'm 100% with the guy who said stock is the way to go. I'm all about buying something I'm pretty content with and then maybe tweaking the exhaust and wheels and drop (as a Mustang guy, gotta get rid of that 4x4 look). Though as someone with car ADD (my sn on CMC is ADDDave for anyone on there as well...), nothing really keeps my interest for too long, which is also what has pushed me to getting more into cars that I don't feel the need/want/desire to modify.

I'm all about the driving experience now. As I mature the exhaust note I look for isn't as loud and I prefer a less harsh ride, but I still like aftermarket exhaust and ride height. It's all about finding that balance haha.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
You're not alone. For me it's been more of a shift in hobbies, I've gotten much more into modifying the boat and my truck. I have ADD with vehicles as you all know, and, if it's not something I'm in all the time, I just don't care much about it. I like playing with my truck because it's what I'm driving 90% of the time, and having a 10,000# 22' long vehicle that's comfortable as fuck and will crack off a mid 13 is just about the most fun thing in my mind currently. My definition of "cool" has always been a bit different though. I've never had an all out drag car, always hated loud rattly shit, no A/C, cramped, bumpy, etc... To me it's all about practicality. "Can I use this in my life" pretty often comes into play. If it doesn't fit a "need" in some way, it's hard to justify owning it.

For example, it would cost me about $4,000 to get my Formula WS6 back on the road as a bolt on, fun, respectable car. It'll also cost me about that to do the turbo/fuel system upgrades I want to do to my truck to reliably get into that 500-550 WHP / 1,100 WHtq club. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the truck will get that money first. Not sure if it's because I still have my cars so I always know they'll be there when the interest comes back or what but I'm perfectly content just admiring them clean and shiny in my garage for the time being while having a fun as shit DD pickup and a boat with a killer stereo but that's the theory I'm going with.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
No issues here at this moment . I took a 2 year break when I moved few years ago but I have been in full swing last 3 years when I got a GTR. I've done few car shows , around 30 1/4 mile track visits [ run 10.0 at US41 , US131 and GLD] , 5 1/2 mile events , 2 road course events and shit tons of street pulls . I need to get back to finish my SVTF project shortly , my 68-69 Camaro project will start soon too

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I’m torn; I have some fun cars and some fun projects, but I really need/want something better for my work commute now that I drive every day... the Rover is fine, but it destroys fuel and has a laundry list of small things that I simply haven’t gotten around to.

Between that, Winter, my daughter, and projects around the house it kills my ‘drive’ on car projects.

Once spring hits and the Mustangs Back out of storage I’ll be back in the swing again I know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info