Just lost my vacation...

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
10 floating holidays doesn't seem too outrageous for a place that is open 365 days per year. Every place I've worked has always had anywhere from 8-12 calendar holidays. I would be angry as well. I usually plan my PTO around holidays so I can take vacations and still keep a couple extra days of PTO for things like doctors appointments or a random day I may need to take off.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
yeah, no they cant do that.
In illinois vacation time is considered part of compensation, which is treated as pay.
For example, if you have vacation built up and then leave the company without using it, by illinois law they have to pay that out to you.
As for changing policy on the fly, and forcing employees to use compensated or benefit time for closures that are no fault of their own.. wow.. lawyer right up.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
In illinois vacation time is considered part of compensation, which is treated as pay.
For example, if you have vacation built up and then leave the company without using it, by illinois law they have to pay that out to you.
As for changing policy on the fly, and forcing employees to use compensated or benefit time for closures that are no fault of their own.. wow.. lawyer right up.

it might depend if they took away time already acquired or not, without payout. Also, it was floating holiday days, not pto/vacation days.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
it might depend if they took away time already acquired or not, without payout. Also, it was floating holiday days, not pto/vacation days.

I understand what you are saying. the after the fact change is pretty messed up though. Very sketchy.

I mean the only way they "could legally" do it would be to remove those floating holidays altogether (instead of subtracting them)
you had ten but we took away two, changes to you had ten but we changed policy so now it is eight.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So my company decided to not give everyone the 80 hours of floating holidays a year anymore...and didn't tell anyone about it. It was implemented January 1st. We all just found out today.

They made us use vacation time (which is seperate) for building closures (due to weather, etc.).

Think it's time to move on...Lots of pissed off people here right now, including myself!

Bingo. I have about a week of vacay, and I’d like to not use it in case I book

Wait, so for total time off, you only get 1 week vacation? Are there default holidays you don't work either?

Even 9-10 holidays off per year (the "norm" in many industries), and 1 week vacation, is still a shit deal.

A couple years ago my company took my 4th week and pushed it back 5 years. Really pissed me off, but nowhere near as bad as this would have. I wouldn't hesitate to leave over losing 2 weeks of vacation

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They made us use vacation time (which is seperate) for building closures (due to weather, etc.).

If you only get a week (5 days) of vacation time, wouldn't this effectively mean that you don't get any vacation time? I'd imagine buildings close 1-3 days per year with our crazy weather

This is crazy. What kind of fly by night company is this.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

In IL employers have to pay accrued vacation time, but not sick time or holiday time. Many employers are now going to "unlimited" vacation now so they don't even have to pay you your vacation when you quit since you don't have accrued vacation time.

https://www2.illinois.gov/idol/Laws-Rules/FLS/Documents/VA FAQ.pdf

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I’ve been staying around this place for a few reasons. It’s a 10 minute drive from my house. I only work 4 days a week. At this point I’m the senior tech with only the lead above me. However, they have me on nights which sucks for my situation. I put up with it because after two years I’m eligible for management...which pays very well here. I thought it would also look good on my resume to work with amazon.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I’ve been staying around this place for a few reasons. It’s a 10 minute drive from my house. I only work 4 days a week. At this point I’m the senior tech with only the lead above me. However, they have me on nights which sucks for my situation. I put up with it because after two years I’m eligible for management...which pays very well here. I thought it would also look good on my resume to work with amazon.

Same where I'm at, the close drive and working with family has been keeping me here, but it may be time to start looking around, really wouldn't mind getting back into the maintenance side of things again.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
If you only get a week (5 days) of vacation time, wouldn't this effectively mean that you don't get any vacation time? I'd imagine buildings close 1-3 days per year with our crazy weather

This is crazy. What kind of fly by night company is this.

Amazon is barely getting by. If they dont steal his money they might have to close the doors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info